View Full Version : Hello my name is scarlett

pinkscarlett09
05-02-10, 19:44
Hi Everyone,

My name is scarlett, I am 26 years old and like in UK. I have been married to my husband for the past 5 years and we have been together 7 years. We have two children aged 2 and 8 months and I am 8 weeks pregnant.

My husband has suffered from panic attacks for about 13 years, it all started when he found his dad dead, since then he has tried everything to get rid of the panic attacks but gradually they have worsened, to the point now where he suffers from agrophobia.

I myself do not suffer from anxiety but I find it heartbreaking seeing my husband suffering and I feel that I am actually becoming depressed as a result of it.

Our life as a family limited by my husbands anxiety and I would love to do things as a family but it is hard as I know that it is not my husbands fault that he suffers with this, but at the same time it is not my childrens fault either and I feel bad that they are not doing 'normal' day to day activiities away from the home.

I cannot talk to anyone about how I feel, I would never say tell my husband as it will just worsen his condition and he will feel like he is a burden to me.

I married my husband for life and I will stand by him through this, i just don't no if I help at times.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone as to how I should respond to my husband when he is anxious and how or if I can encourage him to get help with the agrophobia or if there is any help out there that people can recommend. He is taking antidepressents which haven't helped, is seeing a counsellor/hypnotherapist but still no improvements.

Look forward to hearing from you.

nomorepanic
05-02-10, 19:46
Hi pinkscarlett09

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

KK77
05-02-10, 21:13
I'm sorry Scarlett that things are bad for you and your husband. Watching someone suffer and not being able to help is heartbreaking but all you can do is to stand by him and continue to support and help him as best as you can.

I wonder whether he's being treated for post traumatic stress disorder? Because that's what it looks like he's suffering from, and until he is able to deal with what happened to his father I don't see how things will get better.

If the antidepressant isn't helping then he should go back to the prescribing doctor and have this reassessed. It is a slow process but it's one that can be overcome and I think that your continued support and love is key to this.

Best wishes to you both.

Veronica H
05-02-10, 22:48
:welcome:Scarlet.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better and life should improve for you all. This illness is hard on families. Best wishes.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronicax

head held high
07-02-10, 21:48
i have found from yrs of suffering myself that you have to push him to do things but in small steps! like a little walk, to go to supermarket but just for one thing. i wish people had pushed me to do things as it means you recover quicker without adding new fears. a know it must be the hardest thing in the world to do that to someone you love so much.