PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm only 22 and I think I have Osteoporosis..

99% dead inside
06-02-10, 01:09
Hi,

Ok, I don't usually worry about my health, I usually don't care if something's wrong with me 'cause it always goes in the end. But now, I'm a bit worried that I really do have a serious problem.

I'm a rambler, so I'll keep it very short:

I'm agoraphobic, haven't left the house more than 100 times in the last 5 and a half years probably. I never go out like normal people and get sunlight on me and fresh air, my body is not fit at all, I'm completely out of shape. I went for a walk last week and since then I've been having pains in my left foot whenever I walk. I told somebody (a nurse), and they said that because I never go out and get sunlight (vitamin D) I'm making my bones weaker. She says that I probably have osteoporosis. At first I dismissed her as hilarious and crazy to even think that, I'm only 22, I thought only older people get it.

So anyway, I gave it this last week to see how it goes and if it got better. It hasn't, infact I think it's gotten worse. I know I shouldn't have but I just googled it, and found a nice wikipedia page all about osteoporosis. Reading it gave me a small panic attack, seriously. I think the words they used that got to me were "compression fracture" and "softened bones". :wacko:

So for this next week I'm gonna be resting my foot and seeing if it does actually get better or not. I just wanna know from anyone that has suffered from agoraphobia, if they've ever had the same problem? I'm really panicking that I have actually got soft bones in my left foot. I know osteoporosis is a crazy thought for most people, but I really do spend all my time indoors, getting no sunlight and weak bones I suppose. It's weird 'cause my right foot is fine. I also know that it could just be the fact that I went out for a walk for the first time in completely yonks, but yeah, I'm really panicking.

Can anybody help? Got any advice other than "go to the doctors"? Have you been in the same position maybe?

Thanks if you help me. I know I said I'd keep it very short...oh well! :doh:

hadenoughofmyhead
06-02-10, 10:28
Hiya :)

This is my first post, so a quick hi to everyone before I start.

The nurse's statement is incredibly broad and actually extremely 'shot in the dark'. Something like osteoporosis surely needs to be tested for at a hospital AFTER a GP has confirmed his concerns. You're really young too, so I would rest up your foot and relax. Panicking and constantly thinking of the pain is actually probably making it worse. Our minds are evil ;)
Plus, there isn't just one reason for leg/joint/foot pain. There are thousands of reasons it could be hurting. I was once in agony for a week with my foot after walking 3 miles in flat pump shoes. It messed my ankle up and I coudn't actually walk! Ice, pain killers and rest sorted me.

I can sympathise on a LOT of levels. I'm also 22 and suffering with health anxiety and it all started when I began to work for myself at home which you can get extremely wrapped up in and then realise "I haven't left the house in 3 weeks". I truly believe that being at home all the time (or being agoraphobic) has actually really badly affected my health - mental more than physical.
I sit and watch This Morning and as soon as Dr Chris comes on I have to force myself to physically turn OFF because if I don't, I'll start prodding and poking my body as soon as he explains the rarest disease ever known to humanity! I also leave it so long without walking out the door that when I AM meant to be going out, I get anxious and a nervous stomach ache which is horrible so I do understand your leaving the house worries.

My cousin is actually a doctor and I had a bit of a panicky week last week. One symptom turned into 100 and the next thing I knew, I was calling her saying "Do I have cancer!?" to which she replied "No. You have health anxiety".
She told me to do something I enjoy every day (ie: watch your fave film, eat your fave foods, get some retail therapy) instead of sitting worrying about things that proobably will never happen, and go out at least 3 times a week and have fun. Maybe you could try this after you've rested your foot, even if its a slow walk, just taking in the fresh air. I've been out twice this week and feel so much better and healtheir for it.
She also told me to give up the self diagnosis. She's a doctor of 30 years and said that Dr Google is SO inaccurate and actually infuriates her. So no running to Wikipedia! I've stopped 'googling' symtpoms for a week now (a bloody triumph for me!) and I feel so much better.

I hope this is just a little blip for you and you feel better soon!

99% dead inside
06-02-10, 15:03
Hi hadenoughofmyhead,

Welcome to NMP! :welcome:

This place has helped me loads with my agoraphobia, and I've only been here 1 month, so I hope it can help you just as much. :winks:

Thanks for taking the time and offering me your advice, I really appreciate it.
Well, the nurse that told me that is actually a family member, not a real nurse or anything. She is actually a nurse, but because we're close I suppose she doesn't mess around or beat around the bush. She just came out and said the worst possible thing! :whistles:

You're right, I will just rest my foot as much as possible this week, then the following week I'll go out for some short walks. See how it goes I suppose.

Hey, what you said about having to turn off the tv when Dr Chris comes on was funny. I know it's not really funny though, I'm not usually plagued with health anxiety. I've had a few worries, but nothing like this, where a little pain in my foot puts me in a state of panic thinking that my bones are gonna crumble or snap if I put too much pressure on em. So I can understand how you have to turn off the tv and escape that situation.

I'm sorry that you too feel the dread and butterflies as soon as it's time to open the front door. It really is horrible. So big well done for managing to go out twice this week! You're right, I've found that the longer you don't leave the house the more the fear and panic builds up inside you. I'm definitly gonna start going out once or twice a week to get some exercise and to clear my mind aswell. I just have to wait for this stupid left foot of mine to heal (or crumble, whichever comes first. Heh heh) :)

Thanks again for the support and if you ever want to talk about your own problems or anything, just private message me. I know how lonely it gets being agoraphobic and never really leaving the house that much.

Ok, thanks again, bye. :)

99% dead inside
12-05-10, 12:22
Update: My foot's fine now, I don't think it was osteoperosis. I think I just ran before I could walk with my exercise when my body wasn't ready for it. It's funny 'cause at the time I really did think I had osteoperosis haha. :doh: