PDA

View Full Version : reassurance from great doctor

Kirst24
06-02-10, 05:56
Hey everyone.

I just wanted to post this as it helped me a little. I was up at a&e during the night yesterday with pain in my chest. Had to wait hours to see doc and during that time was having panic attacks, convinced I was going to die etc etc. Even though he was an A&E doc who probably had a lot of other stuff to do he took a lot of time to speak about how I was feeling. He said the mind is the body's most powerful organ and it is unbelievable what it can do to your body. He said that he had heard of patient's who had to be fed through tubes and stuff, there was never anything physically wrong with them but because of their mind (anxiety) their body was reacting in such a way they couldn't hold down food. People have told me before just how much the mind affects the body but until he gave me this example I couldn't believe how much.

Sometimes it takes someone to sit and take you seriously and spend some time listening to make you feel better. I wish all doctors were like him!

:-)

marley
06-02-10, 07:09
Doctors like that are marvellous - they are the proof that the element of care hasn't been taken from medicine.

I'm glad you feel reassured. I even feel better for having read that!

pollyanna
06-02-10, 07:36
Hi Kirst

It makes such a difference doesnt it, im glad that it helped you, and i think your post will help others too.

P x

Kirst24
06-02-10, 11:11
:-) it just shows that all it takes is for a doctor to be a bit understanding to make a difference. so many people are suffering from health anxiety and I don't think it is publicised enough and is definitely not understood enough by doctors. wishing you all well in your recovery xx

Carys
06-02-10, 16:36
He said the mind is the body's most powerful organ and it is unbelievable what it can do to your body

SO SO true ! A doctor once told me this around 20 years ago, and I recall it so clearly. You were lucky to come across a medic who took the time to patiently explain and talk to you :D I've told this story on another thread, but years ago, for a number of days I was 'paralysed' down one side. I would not walk, move, get up etc. There was nothing physically wrong with me, at all !

In my working life, about 5 years ago, I worked with a youngster (18 years old) who was in an electric wheelchair, was cathaterised permanently, gauntly thin, could not walk or do anything for herself at all. She was fed (the little that she ate, but that had to be mashed up and soft), hoisted to bed and turned at night, toileted and had everything done for her. She had her limbs strapped down, like those who have cerebral palsy, and had every disability aid you could imagine. She appeared severely disabled, she looked disabled, sounded disabled and believed she was. Her 'condition' had come on over 5 years and despite all medical testing showing that there was no reason for her disability, she continued to 'be' disabled.

This girl eventually got the help she needed, she was treated for her mental health issues and ended up going to university - where she became a healthy student - with no disability at all !!!!! Hard to believe isn't it.

Carys
06-02-10, 16:47
Another thought...

NEVER underestimate the power of positive thought. Just as your body can feel ill through your 'powerful brain', it can recover and be cured in the same way. Constructive rather than destructive thoughts are needed.