PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Myself

JavaDave
06-02-10, 16:27
Hi all My name is Dave.
I have been suffering from Panic attacks of some description for most of my adult life.
My first memory of an attack was at a family funeral, I thought maybe I was just under the weather, then it happened again years later at another funeral.
Then many years later I had another intense attack while commuting to work it was so bad I had to get off the train and did not go into work that day, this was then I began to realise I had a problem and it could potentially affect my day to day life, I managed to cope for a few years but my journeys were more stessful.

I made a decision to work somewhere more local about 2 years ago, thus avoiding the commute, it worked for a while I even had the bonus of being able to work from home, which I have been doing for the past 18 months, alas my company has now gone into liquidation and after looking for local work I now realise I need to work back in the city to make a living (London).
I am apprehensive, but the frequency of my panic attacks have decreased, I think I understand the process more now thanks to informative sites like this hopefully this will help me cope better, I also had another family funeral to go to end of last year, which I coped with and this has given me confidence.

I used avoidance strategy to cope but unfortunately I am now in a position where I have to face it, I hope I will be able to cope and start living a normal life again.
Would be glad to hear from anyone who has a similar story, I have found over the years that talking does help and the realisation that you are not alone is a huge boost.

Thanks for listening.

Dave.

nomorepanic
06-02-10, 16:29
Hi JavaDave

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

suzy-sue
06-02-10, 18:45
Hi Dave and :welcome:.to NMP . Im sure you will get all the help you need to be back to your old self .Good luck . Sue x

Veronica H
06-02-10, 21:00
:welcome:Dave. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronica