PDA

View Full Version : Triglycerides

ashero38
07-02-10, 15:58
Does anyone have or have had high Triglycerides and if so have you got it down ? And if so how?

SleeplessFog
07-02-10, 17:07
Yes. I had high triglycerides for a long time. It was what made my cholesterol so high.

The most important thing you can do is stop eating greasy or fried or fatty foods. Cut salt intake as much as you can, and eat whole grains. Also, lowering my soda and alcohol intake helped as well.

I wouldn't recommend going cold turkey on everything all at once. Pick 1 or 2 things to remove at a time and then slowly work to eat healthier bit by bit.

Just cutting fast food and greasy stuff from my diet helped tremendously. I sort of took it to the extreme because high tris run in my family and I am trying to maintain without taking medications.

Good luck!

Jemsss
28-10-21, 09:19
Yes. I had high triglycerides for a long time. It was what made my cholesterol so high.

The most important thing you can do is stop eating greasy or fried or fatty foods. Cut salt intake as much as you can, and eat whole grains. Also, lowering my soda and alcohol intake helped as well.

I wouldn't recommend going cold turkey on everything all at once. (https://weightloss-en.com/7-day-diet-to-lower-triglycerides-very-effective-and-fast/) Pick 1 or 2 things to remove at a time and then slowly work to eat healthier bit by bit.

Just cutting fast food and greasy stuff from my diet helped tremendously. I sort of took it to the extreme because high tris run in my family and I am trying to maintain without taking medications.

Good luck!

Thanks for the offer :yesyes:

Heather1234
28-10-21, 13:33
Does anyone have or have had high Triglycerides and if so have you got it down ? And if so how?I was told pasta could be a culprit too. I remembered this one because I LOVE pasta & wasn't happy with the news. Mine were slightly elevated a few years ago & this year I've been limiting pasta & white bread. (along with the other foods mentioned above) and my numbers were well within range. Its doable. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
28-10-21, 14:30
I've had high triglycerides and cholesterol for decades. Its part of the reason for my heart disease and issues. Besides meds, it really comes down to a healthy diet and some exercise. I've been able to keep my numbers at acceptable levels by doing so. There is plenty of info out there and that's one thing I would recommend you Google.

FMP

Rluvz
28-10-21, 16:42
Cut carbs and sugar. Drink water. Less salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cptdebbie
28-10-21, 17:08
I had super high triglycerides for years - numbers over 1000. Meds brought them down below 500, but a wonderful doctor told me the tricor I was taking had a potentially life threatening interaction with other meds I was taking. So, she switched me to fish oil.

I take 4 1000 mg tablets of fish oil a day. Since I started doing this, my triglycerides are always under 200. That isn’t perfect, but is much much better than they ever have been for me.

P.S. This is an inherited thing for me. Even when my mom was underweight and eating almost nothing, her triglycerides were 750. Her brothers and sisters had the same issue.

Pamplemousse
30-10-21, 12:58
What units do you use in the US, because those numbers are unrecognisable on the UK scale? Here we measure in mmol/L and at my last test, mine were high at 4.9 - levels under 2.0 are preferred (which I did once have, briefly - whilst I was dieting).

Cptdebbie
30-10-21, 16:25
Here is a good breakdown:

Normal — Less than 150 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or less than 1.7 millimoles per liter (mmol/L) Borderline high — 150 to 199 mg/dL (1.8 to 2.2 mmol/L) High — 200 to 499 mg/dL (2.3 to 5.6 mmol/L) Very high — 500 mg/dL or above (5.7 mmol/L or above)

FamilyPicnic
31-10-21, 12:51
Sugar and junk foods in general cause trigs to rise. Try to get them below 100 or even below your HDL.

EdnaLegume
31-10-21, 18:24
Had level of 350. Followed low carb (no wheat/grains/sugar) and brought down to 49.

Fishmanpa
31-10-21, 18:49
Like I said, I have high cholesterol and triglyceride issues and they're hereditary. I typically had Triglyceride levels 500+ and cholesterol well over the norms. With meds, diet and exercise, I've gotten my levels to good 'for me'. My triglycerides were in the high 200's last test in September and my cholesterol levels were on the high side of normal. My doctor was quite pleased with the results based on my history as was I.

It really does come down to diet and exercise and meds if needed.

FMP