PDA

View Full Version : Termination and going on the pill (sensitive)

Lissy43
07-02-10, 19:52
I just wanted to warn that this is a sensitive post, as it is about abortion.

I had an abortion 8 weeks ago. My first period last month was VERY heavy, I was gushing everytime I stood up for 2 days which made me feel very tired and sick, it has also left me quite anxious about this month. I also had alot of pain. I have had heavy periods and pain in the past, not quite as heavy as that.

Has anyone here had a termination? and if so did your periods return to normal and become less heavy? My GP seems to think they will improve in a couple of months.

I am considering going on the pill. My GP tried to put me on it last summer as I have suspected endometreosis. Every month I bled heavy for the first 2 days and was in agony, I would have to take to my bed, no uni/work. My GP said that wasn't fair on me and that I couldn't take to my bed every month, I was the same around ovulation, lots of pain.

Would the pill cause a lighter bleed and less pain? My GP suggested loestrin 20 last year.

Panickypants
07-02-10, 20:30
I have never had a termintaion but after having my first period after giving birth to my 2 children i had the very heavy gushing for a few weeks so i'm guessing it's just your body getting back to normal, your hormones have changed a lot too x

Lissy43
07-02-10, 21:13
Thanks.

It is horrible isn't it, everytime I moved I felt it gush, and it was so dark, yuk!

Lissy43
09-02-10, 21:42
I saw the GP yesterday and he gave me transexamic acid to take 2-3 times a day when my period arrives this weekend. Is it likely to stop the period or just lighten it?

Anyone any experience of this drug?

He said to go back in 2 weeks and he will then put me on the pill to help with my periods.

Kate23
10-02-10, 02:35
Hi there, I have had a termination, and had similar heavey bleeding just after, however i went on the pill straight after as suggested by my doctor and i found that my period after that was heavyiish but it did sort me right back out and next month its was less heavey and not much pain at all. No experience of transexamic acid though sorry.

Lissy43
10-02-10, 13:25
Thanks Kate.

I saw my GP again today as I really want to start the pill so that I can get lighter periods. She agreed I should start it this month, as I have low iron so heavy bleeds are not good for me at all. She has put me on loestrin 20.

She was really nice and totally put my mind at rest about the DVT risk.

She said I was doingthe right thing going on the pill to help with my endometreosis and the blood flow. She said to start it the first day of my period at the weekend, she said it may even help this cycle?? so it may lighten the flow, I didn't think it would this month?

Cat80
10-02-10, 17:10
The transexamic acid (Ponstan) you start to take 3 days before your period is due and then agin for the first couple of days of your period. I was put on this years ago to make my period lighter and it does work. I'm not on the pill because of the problem with my periods and even though still painful for the first 2 days very light.

Lissy43
10-02-10, 17:29
Sorry you are or arent on the pill? If so do you find it makes them alot lighter?

Oh he said to start the acid once I was on my period. Does it make it much lighter?

Cat80
10-02-10, 18:03
Yes the pill has definately made my periods much lighter. It took about 3 different ones to get the right one. Microgynon was the worst for me but that is usually the one a Dr will prescribe first because it's the cheapest. I'm now on Loestrin 30 and my periods are much more light. I used to wear night time towels for the first 3 days now I don't need to.

Really hope your periods settle down soon. They say allow 3 cycles on the pill for them to settle down, mine took about that once I found the right pill.

If you are flooding when you stand up one thing you could maybe use is the mooncup. I don't use them myself but they help a lot of people who have heavy periods. You just insert it when your period starts and empty and rinse every few hours (like changing a pad or tampon).

Lissy43
10-02-10, 18:07
Thanks Cat,

I have heard of that, would it stop the gushing sensation? I hate that.

My GP has given me loestrin 20, aparently it's one of the best.

Cat80
10-02-10, 18:12
Loestrin 20 is a slightly lighter version of the one I'm on (Loestrin 30) but I've heard some very good things about it so I'm sure you will be fine. Just when you take it take it with food because it can cause nausea (I take mine every morning with breakfast).

The moon cup should stop the gushing sensation yes because it's all inside so nothing will come out. Just remember to change it regularly while your periods are heavy if you get one. Someone recommended one to me because they also help painful periods but I'm a bit to squeamish.

Sending you a big hugs, you've been through a lot and I really hope you feel better soon (((hug)))

Lissy43
10-02-10, 19:03
Hmmmmm, is it big?lol!

Thanks Cat, I appreciate your support xxxx

Cat80
11-02-10, 12:20
Try googling Mooncup, it'll bring up the website that sells it. It's quite small apparantly and can hold quite a lot of fluid. Definately worth a consideration. Cost less than £30 and last for years

Lissy43
11-02-10, 12:33
Thanks Cat x

Going home
11-02-10, 17:23
I also took Tranxenamic acid some years ago for heavy periods and this really did work well for me, and because its not a hormone medication, there were no side effects. I took it until i had the Mirena coil fitted, but even though the Mirena worked well in making my heavy periods disappear, the hormonal side effects got to me (I seem to be very sensitive to progesterone) and after 18 months i had it removed. By this time i was in my late 40s and fortunately my heavy periods didn't return and I managed to get to the menopause at 48 without needing more meds.

Gh xx

Lissy43
11-02-10, 19:10
So did you just start taking the tranxenamic acid the day you came on your period? GP said to start it as soon as period arrives as I am abit unsure when I am due.

Going home
11-02-10, 19:20
If you're not sure when your period will arrive then i'd take it on the first day, because even if the first day is heavy, the tranxenamic acid will work really quickly so you'll find it will help from the first day. Its actually designed to stop the bleeding for people who suffer from Haemophilia and the docs discovered that it also helped women with very heavy periods. But for you, i'd wait until yout period starts because it may not be so heavy this time.

GH xx

Lissy43
11-02-10, 20:14
Yes my GP said to see how my period actually goes this month, and if it soon turns heavy again then to start the acid, as last month it was light for 2 days then on day 3 & 4 it became very heavy, like a gushing sensation which was pretty awful.

Thanks for your help GH.

uneasy
11-02-10, 20:31
I've had a termination and went on the pill straight after. Now my periods only last for a few days but can be quite heavy. Kinda gotten used to it now, although I did have major anxiety for a while.

Lissy43
11-02-10, 21:59
Yes my first period after the termination was very heavy, with a constant 'gushing' sensation, which has caused great anxiety. I am dreading this period that is due:-(

My GP said they should get lighter as time goes on, and that the pill should help even more with that. I really hope so.