PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if this will EVER stop!

SINGLE_DADDY
08-02-10, 04:52
Why is it that when we have these aweful panic attacks we always feel like "THIS IS IT" I'M REALLY ABOUT TO DIE THIS TIME" or "OKAY THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT, THIS REALLY IS A HEART ATTACK". I have been to the doctors more times than I would like to admit and had every test on my heart you can imagine including a Stress Echo. I'm 35 years old and have been in constant panic mode ALL weekend. Pounding chest, dizziness, headache, you name it I had it. My arm pits even had sharp pains, is that part of panic too. Obviously I didnt have a Heart attack cause I'm on here, but as I type right now at 11:35 Eastern Standard time In Atlanta Ga.(USA) I cannot take myself to bed because my chest hurts, my heart is racing, and my armpits hurt..................will these attacks actually make someone lose their mind..............thanks for listening, I hope someone on here is up and can respond soon as I havent slept but about 4 hours all weekend.:scared15::scared15:

MONKEE_MAGIK
08-02-10, 10:48
Hi,

I know how you feel as I have suffered with panic attacks for years (mainly heart attack worries!!) so I know how hard it is to break the cycle.

My only advice is that you need to try and distract yourself (easier said than done i know). Whenever I have a panic attack I find it is best to play a game on this site(bubble shooter is my favourite), read a book, talk to someone, watch a funny film etc.

Meditation and relaxation is also good.

Hang on in there and dont let the anxiety win!

:)

Veronica H
08-02-10, 11:11
:bighug1:Anyone who has had a panic attack knows that on a scale of one to ten it is an eleven. It is very hard to accept that we are doing this to ourselves and that such powerful physical symptoms can result from the way we think. This can and will get better when you accept that this is a result of sensitised nerves and really believe, no matter what your nerves throw at you, that they will recover provided you do not add fear to the mix, which is keeping the cycle going.
There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough. This will get better.

Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Veronicax

Brunette
08-02-10, 11:30
Hi Single Daddy,

You will certainly feel normal again one day but you can't just sit there waiting for it to happen. Ridding yourself of anxiety and panic attacks takes a bit of work.

You need to know why your body is reacting in the way it is and how you need to change the way you think to gradually stop it happening.

I'm with Veronica H In recommending Claire Weekes as your first port of call. She will help you understand your condition much better,

B

Vanilla Sky
08-02-10, 13:31
I can relate to the armpit pains , this worries me also but like you i haven't had the "heart attack" yet. A friend of mine who is a physiotherapist said to me , no wonder you get all these aches and pains , do you realise how tense you are ? It's such a simple thing to correct. Learn to do stretches to release the tension, you sound like you carry all your tension in your chest and shoulders , like me , and this can lead to the most awful aches and pains. Become aware of the tension and get some info on some excercises that you can do to help yourself. It does make a difference Love Paige x

Alex22
08-02-10, 14:48
Hiya mate this is all normal. i must have gone to the hospital at least 10 times in 6 months last year, i even phone myself an ambulance once cause i was that certain i was a gona. what you need is reassurance, if i can tell you one thing that would be to look up a guy on you tube called Charles linden and the linden method. take the time and listen to what he has got to say and i guarantee you will feel alot better. and dont you wont feel like this forever it will go.
p.s. let me know if this helps

zowiebowie
08-02-10, 17:15
I totally agree with Veronica. She too suggested the book to me and went out this morning and borrowed it from the library. I have already read a 1/3 of it and I cannot believe how much sense this great lady is making. She makes more sense of what our bodies experience more than anything else I have read, and I have read heaps of stuff on the subject hoping for a miracle cure. Get the book, read it, and you will be on a much better road to recovery, I already feel more positive!

Macchiavelli
11-02-10, 00:26
Why is it that when we have these aweful panic attacks we always feel like "THIS IS IT" I'M REALLY ABOUT TO DIE THIS TIME" or "OKAY THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT, THIS REALLY IS A HEART ATTACK". I have been to the doctors more times than I would like to admit and had every test on my heart you can imagine including a Stress Echo. I'm 35 years old and have been in constant panic mode ALL weekend. Pounding chest, dizziness, headache, you name it I had it. My arm pits even had sharp pains, is that part of panic too. Obviously I didnt have a Heart attack cause I'm on here, but as I type right now at 11:35 Eastern Standard time In Atlanta Ga.(USA) I cannot take myself to bed because my chest hurts, my heart is racing, and my armpits hurt..................will these attacks actually make someone lose their mind..............thanks for listening, I hope someone on here is up and can respond soon as I havent slept but about 4 hours all weekend.:scared15::scared15:

I feel like this as well, a lot of the time - you are not the only one x