PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia/social phobia. Any advice?

Spagetti
08-02-10, 10:27
Hi. Im 25 and have suffered from social anxiety for many years. Things came to a head 2 years ago and I didnt leave the house for a couple of months because I couldnt face panicing and making a fool out of myself in front of other people as I had done previously. Depression is also a problem.

I sought help and was prescribed citalopram and completed a programme of CBT. I am better than I was previously, as in I can make myself leave the house, but as for any type of social situation, standing in ques, basically having to spend a prolonged time with other people, all the signs of panic and humilliation come flooding back.

I signed up for a home study course recently and attended a group leacture. I lasted 2 hours before I couldnt bear it anymore. It got to the point of feeling sick and hardly being able to move. I thought I was getting over this and feel such a failure.

I have an appointment with my GP next week and dont know what to do. Should I ask him to refer me for more therapy and/or change my medication? I know medication isnt a cure but I cant stand being like this any longer. Im letting everyone down yet again.

Thanks for reading x

pammy1944
08-02-10, 10:37
whoaaaaaaaa.....your last words there ' i'm letting everyone down again' ........this isnt about other people , its about YOU. SOCIAL and AGORA SUCK , BUT THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL , ive suffered( LIKE YOU ) for years on and off, there is no quick fix BUT you will feel better in time .....use this site to unload how youre feeling........most of us here are in the same boat as you and we lean on each other. you did sooooooo well to sit in a lecture for 2 hours . that is a real achievement....carry on studying and try to relax as much as you can .....take care and good luck xxxxx

Spagetti
08-02-10, 10:58
Thanks for your reply. I know your right. Its just I can get to terms to beating myself up about things but not the effect on other people. We are having money troubles and I feel so guilty for not working.

Sorry to go on.

Anyway you'll never guess what happened just after I started this thread- I found a big spider walking across my top and nearly hit the ceiling. Thought I was hallucinating for a minute. Can laugh about it now though lol :roflmao:

pammy1944
08-02-10, 11:03
hahahhah...shouldnt laugh i know but i hate the creepers too..........look spag ....if you cant work you cant work .......simple as........you can 'go on' as much as you like thats what we are here for. This illness isnt about anyone but you. xxxxxxxxxx

Spagetti
08-02-10, 16:19
If you think thats funny you should have seen me trying to get the blooming thing out of the bedclothes without touching it :roflmao:

Thanks for making me feel welcome xx

Spagetti
09-02-10, 19:47
Does anyone else have any thoughts?xx

99% dead inside
11-02-10, 12:50
Hello spagetti,

I haven't taken any meds or sought help for my agoraphobia and social anxiety, but I know how you feel. I too can now actually leave the house but still panic and sweat and can't bare standing in queues or in any group situations. And I feel guilty too 'cause I'm not working and basically sponging off my family. The main thing is that you've got an appointment sorted with your GP, so even though you'll probably hate it and worry all the time, you can still tell him what you're feeling. I don't want to tell you whether you should ask for more therapy or medication because i've had neither and don't know the first thing about em to be honest.

What I can say though, is that you're right, medication isn't a cure. But, i've heard from other members that it can really help for the short term and might give you the boost you need to help you survive the group therapy sessions? I know you're on Citalopram, but you should definitly have a good talk with the GP and tell him that you feel it's not working. I have no clue about meds but maybe they might have something better? Definitly talk to them about it.

And I know you can't lose that feeling of letting people down, but you're seeking help and are doing the right things. So don't feel too bad and put so much pressure on yourself, one day you'll be perfectly fine and it'll be all good. :yesyes:

jude uk
11-02-10, 14:37
I am not for medication but I know that it has its place in getting people moving forward. Most medications do take a few months to kick in and you're GP will give you advice on this. CBT is always a good therapy and I would also seek other support from a local mental health team that will be able to support you with getting out and about. I believe with the right support you would be able to move forward

Spagetti
11-02-10, 16:37
Thanks. It helps to speak to people who understand how Im feeling.

The cbt woman rang today for my end of programe review (its a home-computer based programe) and I admitted I am still struggling with being around people so she is sending me some information about a mental health support group (cant remember the name) and said I can still log on to the programe to help me with this. I feel a little better about it now as I dont feel Im being left alone to deal with things if you get what I mean.

I have decided to continue with studying. The tutorials are not compulsory, but I will consider going to another one to see how I get on. It will be embarrassing to see the same people but I guess I have to face up to it in order to move on.

Thanks for your support x