PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else in your family have panic?

chellebelle
31-12-05, 22:22
Hey everyone! I'm just interested in the hereditary link to anxiety. In my family my mother, my father, my nan (maternal) and my grandfather (paternal) suffer from anxiety, or what they call "nerve" trouble - what hope did I have :D). The upside is if I run out of medication I have backup!

"This too, shall pass"

Wannabeloved85
31-12-05, 23:10
my mum's agoraphobic, i trie to help out,dropped out of school and shopped,cleaned etc when she was unable. eventually she began to depend n me and didnt feel comfortable when i was out. she'd confide in me etc try to explain.
Then one summer day i went to post a letter, and i was wearing a strappy top and suddenly felt very aware of my bumbs! (puberty happened while i was hiding out with mum to keep her calm). I didnt like it and felt very paranoid. My sister posted the letter.
The next time i went out was to the shop, i hyperventalated. I avoided going out after that, but i still went with my dad in the car. But mum didnt like me going so i had to say no to avoid feeling guilty.
I think its more learned than 'inherited/genetically passed'

Karen
31-12-05, 23:24
Hi chellebelle

You didn't leave an option to say 'No' in your poll. To my knowledge no one else in my family has anxiety and/or depression issues.

I don't think my problems are genetic but more environmental and learned due to circumstances and issues from childhood.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Quailman
01-01-06, 02:23
What's interesting about this one is that when I described the things that have caused me severe anxiety to my dad, he has told me how he went through similar worries but it never actually escalated to anxiety. I've always been very much my fathers son and although I couldn't say that my anxiety has been hereditary (as my dad never suffered from it), the worries and thought processes that led to my anxiety do seem to have been inherited from him.

Yvonne
01-01-06, 17:10
Hi
My eldest brother has always been a shy type. He definitely suffers with a level of anxiety. He has never had panic attacks but I see him visibly shaking sometimes in certain situations. However, he refuses to admit that it's a problem - however I know that it has stopped him from doing lots of things in his life.
Love to all
Yvonne

Y Goble

chellebelle
01-01-06, 21:55
Let me just clarify, while its seems to me there is a hereditary link to anxiety (though not in all cases, hence the "none" in family) I agree wholeheartedly that there are myriad causes and contributing factors. Since there is such a strong link in my family I am just interested about everyone else. Thanks for voting and for your input...I just wish NOBODY had anxiety problems.

"This too, shall pass"

Arclite
02-01-06, 08:52
Indeed!

My Mum, Dad, Sister and Nan all have problems with IBS, Panic Attacks and Anxiety.

It's in my Genes...

chellebelle
06-01-06, 10:17
Thanks everyone who have taken part in the poll, the results have been really interesting!

"This too, shall pass"

florence
07-01-06, 10:07
My mother, grandmother and aunt ( all maternal side ) had/ have anxiety/panic.

Florence.

*** Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can. ***

pinklady1
14-04-06, 15:28
Hi
My mum, nan (maternal side), and all 4 sisters have suffered at some time. The only people not affected in the family are the two brothers!

pinklady1

claire22
14-04-06, 17:38
yeah

my mum and my brother both suffer with panick attacks

blondeangel
14-04-06, 23:59
hi....everyone
Quite often mental health issues are hereditary..or at least you can be predisposed to having anxiety, depression, or panic as well as other disorders (same as bi polar, schizophrenia, etc). My mother I know has had some depression, and my sister was diagnosed for having depression and anxiety...but I don't think she has it much anymore. I don't know much about the rest of my family, but I am sure that others have similar issues. So, if you have panic..I have panic disorder and post traumatic disorder, if I had children they could be predisposed to having anxiety or panic, but what triggered my panic etc was going through a very very very traumatic experience. But, it was possible that I didn't show it before that because i might have had a predisposition for anxiety disorders...and the trauma was the trigger. I don't know if you follow me. Anyways, I am taking currently Abnormal Child Psychology at school (training to be a child and youth counsellor), so that is the info I know from my course.
I will try to make it simple....you may have a biological predispostion to a certain mental health issue, ie: anxiety/panic, but not show signs of it, or experience it. But, something in the environment (ie trauma, too much stress) could trigger it.
Anyways..I don't want to make this too long.
Actually come to think of it..my whole family is weird.[:P]

a-little-room-to-breathe
17-04-06, 10:47
my dad used to suffer from panic attacks, and was diagnosed with anxiety and depression, but we think that we was misdiagnosed and has post traumatic stress disorder, as he fought in the falklands war.

katie xx

"If I can wipe from any human cheek, a tear,
Convince one man that hope and heaven are near,
Create more joy, more hope, less pain,
And though not one shall know my name nor drop a flower on my grave,
I shall not have lived in vain while here."

arethaire
30-06-06, 23:04
I am 46 & I have had panic/anxiety for about the past 3yrs or so. Now my 26 yr old son is off from work with Panic/anxiety too :(

I don't know of any others in my family, although my sister has had depression .....

Cath x

chucklehound
30-06-06, 23:06
none of my family have anxiety.

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

honeybee3939
30-06-06, 23:41
Hi,

No one in my family have suffered with anxiety/panic except me.

Love

Andrea
xxx

PurpleRain
01-07-06, 01:20
Hi,
No one else in my family suffers with panic or anxiety,im the black sheep! :)

Take care xx

joanne w
01-07-06, 11:22
hi,
none of my family have panic attacks or anxiety except me,i have 2 children and hope they dont end up with it.
joanne xxx

Elle-Kay
01-07-06, 21:19
My dad suffered anxiety after our car accident in 1983 when I was a wee tot, and found that (unsurprisingly) it centred around travelling/driving. He got over it, but to this day he won't travel in a car with anyone else driving - even me, unless he has to - which I also have (meaning that we almost invariably take two cars everywhere!). As I mentioned in another post, my anxiety seems to have stemmed from this same accident, in a subconscious memory, so perhaps my dad's problems had a hand in it too.

Leah xx

--- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

popsy
06-06-08, 22:38
My mother and hers before, so of course i am paranoid now about my own daughter (whos only 4 now) and her future. My psychiatrist says you may have a leaning towards it in your genes but it doesnt mean you have to be this way! Mmmmm im unsure????

Snowshadow
11-06-08, 05:13
It would seem to me that this is at least in part due to heredity. My maternal grandmother, my Mom, my sister and sadly my son had/have this... so... I think certain people are predisposed to this, and eventually something triggers it. My first panic attack was at age 19, but the depression started at 15. And there was a trigger at 15. Not sure why it took four more years for the first major panic attack. Definitely had anxiety before that though. I guess whether it is due to heredity or not, it's how we handle it?

Matty H
11-06-08, 09:12
My father left me when I was 3 years old and my mom and stepfather have raised me since then. My mom thought i'd gone insane when I had my first panic attack, but due to some very recent contact with my real father I found out he had panic attacks and general anxiety too. Contact with my real father was nearly non existant for a long time. If he ever tried to call and talk to me i'd brush him off and tell him to go away. I only just recently got in contact, and forgave him for the decisions he made long ago. It was a nice gift to learn from him where my anxiety originated from. My grandma also suffers from anxiety in the middle of the night sometimes. Like her, I go through phases where I wake up in the middle of the night anxious and confused. The events normally last a week and then subside for a few months.

noonoo
11-06-08, 23:13
My mum and sister have it, also my grandma. So it's in the family really.

cattttt
12-06-08, 02:23
Both parents are/were anxiety sufferers, I agree with someone else above who said that it's not inherited, but learned. When you are constantly stopped from doing things as a child in case something happens, or being examined to see if you've got something horrible, or one of them comong into your room at night to see if you're still breathing.....what cnce did you have?

SueBee
12-06-08, 21:44
Cat, I can totally relate to your post. My mum was a panicker although i dont think she realised it at the time. whenever i went out of the house i had to listen to a whole load of instructions before i went....... 'make sure you watch the road, use the crossings, dont talk to strangers, be sure you have enough money for the bus, when will you be back, dont do this, dont do that etc......... i literally had to back out of the door agreeing or i'd never have got anywhere lol

She also when i used to go out have an itinerary of my day planned. god help if i were 10 minutes late!! i'd arrive home to find her in a frenzy on the verge of ringing the police cos i'd 'obviously' been involved in an accident!!

I wonder why I suffer from anxiety? lol

I wouldnt have changed her though..... she thought she was doing her best as a parent :)

Snowshadow
13-06-08, 20:24
Catttt and Suebbb - how awful to be made to live in fear. My Mom was very "stoic" and in fact I didn't realize she HAD anxiety/panic attacks until I left home!!! She was truly an amazing woman!!! So I didn't really "learn" my anxiety... Although my father was VERY strict... So that didn't help? But certainly to be taught to "live in fear" all the time would make it worse I would think!!! I tried not to show my fears to my kids either... but my son was always anxious :( But my daughter is lucky... not an anxious bone in her body... well, just the normal kind. But whatever the cause, we have this horrible illness, but how wonderful to have a place to come like this. Where people truly understand!!! :)

amandaj
13-06-08, 20:40
my sister and my dad suffered depression badly both of them and anxiety

Jaco45er
14-06-08, 10:10
My mother was a chronic alcoholic for years, it was only after her recovery that she confessed to anxiety, and drink helped her coped (ironically, by not coping).

My sister and dad are very much no nonsense types who don't understand why you would get anxiety.

Rennie1989
16-06-08, 09:32
I am the only one who suffers from panic attacks though my Mum is a very anxious person, which is where I have inhertied my panic.

cassi23
23-06-08, 12:53
hi,

no-one in my family had EVER had any mental illness, anxiety or panick until just over a year ago.

My maternal grandmother had a knee replacement and the trauma of it sent her into a state of overwhelming anxiety,one day she just completely shut down and couldnt function, was admitted to a hospital that dealt with these things and got better on meds/therapy, now at home decreasing her meds she is starting to relapse.

Then in Nov, 7 weeks after giving birth to my daughter, i started suffereing sever panic and anxiety, still am.

Thats all though, noone else. xxx

kimmy
25-06-08, 22:13
I dont believe anyone on my mothers side has it but having got in touch with my estrange fathers family I have found out a few suffer with anxiety, panics :( Im wish I didnt get in touch lol

kristay1988
29-06-08, 01:08
my dad suffers with panic and anxiety, my cousin is bipolar, my mom gets depression, my grandpa has anxiety, and these are all severe enoough for special help. I think i know why i suffer lol

JoT
18-07-08, 12:43
My dad has had bouts of anxiety and agorophobia, but he is better now.

My mum gets very anxious about certain things but usually related to worrying about family and situations - but not actual panic attacks for no reason like me.

My Aunt (mums sister) suffers with bouts of severe anxiety and depression.

I seem to remember my family referring to my grandad (dads dad) as a hypochondriac, he was always at the docs for something or other.

Lou~Lou
18-07-08, 13:07
Mum and 2 of my sisters suffer from depression and anxiety. My eldest sister has nervousness, as she describes it. My Nan on my mothers side was agrophobic as are 2 of my cousins on her side too.

Southern_Belle
18-07-08, 18:05
My sister just had her first panic attack and she is currently not being treated for anxiety. I guess time will tell if she has anymore. Fingers are crossed that she doesn't.

Laura xxx

graham23s
18-07-08, 20:08
Hi,

i'm the only one in my family who suffered from panic attacks, i eventually found a great book that helped me

http://www.natural-health-products.co.uk/beat-panic-attacks.php

i hope it can help someone else

Graham

Magik
19-11-08, 22:41
My father had bouts of panic attacks or what they deemed
"reverse angina", something I"ve never heard of. It only seemed to bug him when he was at rest, though it's sort of how I am.

I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease as well, and we believe he might have it, cause he suffers some of the same symptoms I do with my Crohns...
and right now, I've been trying to see if there's a connection between Crohns and Panic, but it's a no go so far.

Natural Mystic
26-11-08, 02:36
Hey everyone! I'm just interested in the hereditary link to anxiety. In my family my mother, my father, my nan (maternal) and my grandfather (paternal) suffer from anxiety, or what they call "nerve" trouble - what hope did I have :D). The upside is if I run out of medication I have backup!

"This too, shall pass"
I believe there is a connection, both my grandmother and mother suffered for yours (my mum is still awful, a nervous wreck). A few other members have suffered panick attacks.

Me, only since January this year though I am naturally a strong character so think I'm dealing with it well.

What I suffer now is mainly the odd mini panic, where I cant stop thinking, but I stop it myself. Now left with that awful tightanxious feeling a lot of the time.... mainly at nightwhen I'm trying to sleep.

It has got better for me because I understand what is is .... know that is is only anxiety and I honestly think that now I am stronger that IT

titch
26-11-08, 12:11
my nan suffered with anxiety.... my mum had a nervous breakdown a few years ago...she alot better now but sometimes still suffers with anxiety...my cousin also sufferd with panic attacks..so it definatly runs in my family! xx

Ddcoo
28-11-08, 09:19
My mum, gran, aunt and cousin all suffer/ed with anxiety/panic, and of course me too.

hypnogood
30-11-08, 11:26
umm, I think home invasions are on the up rise and these invasions are occurring more often when the homeowners are there. This is a terrifying thought and one may not only loose their possessions, they may loose their life as well.

sunshine-lady
10-01-09, 16:06
It deffinatley runs in our family. My dad was quite depressive, my mum is 70 and has 6 jobs helping 'old ladies' my sister is a recovreing anorexic, my son has ADHD, my, Nephew has ADHD. My Nan was totalling agoraphobic and 'bad with her nerves' Doth my parents came from big familes, I have several cousinds with mental health problems. One how had Bipolar took his own life a few years and another cousin hasn't been out of his bedroom for about 4 years, he's on his pc 24/7 ... I didn't stand much chance!

Deepest Blue
10-01-09, 16:19
Hi,

Yes, my mum, auntie and one of my sisters suffers from panics and anxiety. My youngest sister isn't affected my neither is my dad.

coleen1974
28-04-09, 19:02
My sister and I both suffer from panic attacks, but I am pretty sure it is connected to our childhood and not inherited, although i had never thought of it being heriditary before.

Louize
18-05-09, 21:37
Quite a few of my family...

Mother, 3 uncles, 2 auties, Gran, Grandad.

My family also have a history of a hell of a lot of other mental illneses, two of them were put in mental homes for long periods, and my gran was put in one for just over a year.

Thats why i knew what i was suffering with before i went to the doctor, although even with their support and the doctos diagnosis, it still doesnt seem quite, i dont know... right?

mdLc
18-05-09, 22:47
Hi....
In my family my mom suffered for many years with anxiety and panic, her mother also suffered from depression and was once given a shock treatment back in the 50's. I have a brother who has OCD and 2 sisters who also suffer from panic and anxiety..aslo a niece who has unfortunately inherited the mighty monster....I am starting to see anxiety/Panic tendencies in my 10 year old daughter..which worries me greatly:weep:
Ive been told many times that this is not hereditary but I do not believe that for a second..the more I think about it the more I see and know why certain people in my family act the way they do.

mdLc
18-05-09, 22:49
actually years ago people considered this panic/anxiety monster to be a nervous breakdown....

starlady
19-05-09, 11:12
My mum had a nervous breakdown when i was young although i cannot remember, my dad also had a nervous breakdown still when i was younger and do not remember. My sis had a nervous breakdown and was addmited to hosp when 17 and got through it by the time she was 18. My other sis a year after the birth of her baby had to go into hosp, {mental issues} The child now 4 and she has just had a diagnosis of recuring depression and been on meds and is doing ok. My bro had mild depression years ago and is now ok. I think im lucky just to get panic attacks and sometimes derealisation........ x

Jay Chal
19-05-09, 12:22
There seems to be alot of anxiety / depression in my family. My mum had at least 2 'nervous breakdowns' (that's what they called it then) that I know of and at least 4 of my sisters has had problems with anxiety and depression. I also have a niece who has anxiety.

I have wondered quite alot about whether mental health problems are hereditary or whether they're learned behaviours... Not sure what the text books say about it but for myself, I think my childhood had alot to do with how I react to things as an adult. From talking to my sisters I know that they feel that way too.

Daisy82304
24-05-09, 23:26
I believe there is a hereditary link. I am adopted and and was raised in a household where neither parent was anxious or had any phobias. I have had anxiety issues since I was nine years old. I am now 53. Two years ago I found my paternal birth family and learned that several members (father, uncle, siblings) suffer from anxiety to varying degrees. In a way it made me feel validated.

Francesca501
17-06-09, 20:07
Hi everyone!
Interestingly, i do have a sister who also suffered from panic but not nearly as badly as me (her attacks were quite severe but she didnt get them as frequently as i did when i was at my worst, and hers were only in situations that are actually stressful like exams whereas mine could happen any time)the interesting thing is that we're not blood relations, shes my step-sister so it cant be hereditary. so either its a coinidence, or its some other influence that we've shared, we've been in the same family since we were little kids (5 and 3)so theres plenty of shared experience there. im not saying its never hereditary but i think maybe there could be more than just genetic reasons why it tends to run in families.

Rachel_123
21-06-09, 22:16
yup my mammy does :)

Dee01
22-06-09, 09:32
No one in my immediate family, but a few cousins do.

magpie girl
22-06-09, 20:38
aunties and cousins on both sides of my family are suffers

kath135
22-06-09, 21:05
My sister has anxiety and is taking citalopram. When I told her that I had been offered citalopram and I was too scared to take it, she was amazed! she knew nothing about the side effects and told me not to be silly and take them. knowing she was fine helped me great deal.
My mother has never suffered from anxiety however she is a very emotional person and both me and my sister agree that our anxiety is due to nurture and not nature.

PanicOver!!
16-09-09, 17:34
Hi

My mum and sister both suffered anxiety and Agorafobia

Luci-loo
16-09-09, 18:21
No-one as far as I know. Most of my family are in fact far too laid back and can't understand why I'm so highly strung (as they put it).

meg86
17-09-09, 17:15
No one really that i am aware of, my dad was an alcoholic but my mother tells me over and over again that he didnt have anxiety problems or anything :shrug:

Im pretty sure i know what caused mine, a number for unpleasant events bang after eachother, but my mum went through alot when she was younger and never developed anxiety or depression or anything!

But im a bit more introvert than my other family members.

Maj
20-09-09, 09:52
Yes, my mum, but she has learned to live with it now. She had agoraphobia many years ago. I was a teenager at the time and although I knew she had it I didn't think much about it. My poor mum! She never let it get in the way of bringing us up and I love her so much. We had my gran living with us at the time and I believe that the strain caused my mum to go through this as it wasn't an easy time. I'm like my mum so that's why I'm probably an anxious person too.
Myra:)

sandy35
20-09-09, 11:12
Just one of my aunties in my family.

oneclearday
21-09-09, 22:56
Lots of people on the maternal side of my family tree.

Panic33
21-09-09, 23:10
No-one else in my family that I know about.

mapmaker
22-09-09, 00:50
none I know of..but.. I have an uncle on my dad's side who has always been moody.. and never motivated to accomplish anything in life. A grandmother who seemed a bit emotional.. maybe they had low grade anxiety that I don't know of. or depression.

peggy27
22-09-09, 16:33
It took over twenty years of me being trouble by anxiety and panic on and off, for my mum to finally tell me she has the same propblem. What a weight lifted from my shoulders. My daughter had a mild panic once a few years ago so i think she may possibly too.
Interesting isnt it!!

pd
28-09-09, 16:05
Lots of people, my mum and brother specifically. Whether it's something genetic or something to do with the fact that we all lived together for years, who knows.