PDA

View Full Version : Medical Assesment UK

NotResponding
08-02-10, 18:18
hello all, i got a medical assesment tomorrow, because i've been on sick benefits for my social anxiety/generalized anxiety/depression whatever.

Has anyone else been to one of these Medical Assesments???
Im worried that they'll just tell me I can work, dont know what to expect...:unsure:

Gregor
08-02-10, 21:54
Hi, i went to one a few years ago and they just ask general questions about how your illness affects your ability to work.

Ironically, i've got one on Thursday and i'm not looking forward to it either - not because i fear the end result but because agoraphobic people tend not to cope well out and about. They tell me it will last about 75 minutes and that's a lifetime for me. I even asked if the people there have experience with situations if i wasnt well.

Anyway, an example of questions/answers which i will be looking forward to are: they will ask, for example, how my anxiety affects my abiliy to work. I will answer i can't get downstairs, thus can't go to work. For me that's simple enough (shouldnt really take 75 minutes for that conclusion, but they'll drag it out i'm sure!)

For you, what's your main reason for not being able to get to work? or rather do the work?

Don't worry too much about it. If you're genuine, which i'm sure you are, then you should be fine.

You're entitled to bring someone with you, so if you have any support - particularly a social/support worker, that would help.

Good luck,

Gregor

NotResponding
08-02-10, 22:12
Okay Gregor, cheers for the info that puts me at ease a little, appreciate it. But 75 mins! omg, yes that'd feel a lifetime out there!
I don't have any support workers, I constantly miss appointments with em, for reasons Im sure you'll understand. Not sure how it affects my work, since just going to the jobcentre is a blurry mindf*ck.

I've been hiding my anxiety so well for so long, I may come across as fine, they better give me a questionnaire to fill so I can tick all at 5/5!

So you just straight out tell them how the problem effects you huh.

Good luck to you, Gregor.
The good thing about it, will be getting back home!
:)

Cheers, thanks for your time, again I appreciate it!
Yes, I'll tell them it effects my life with everything, since it's true.

jude uk
09-02-10, 01:38
Can I also add this.

They may say does it affect you everyday. I suggest saying yes because I had a client who said he had one or two good days and they took him off his benefits. People can have one or two good days but in fact its more like one or two good hours.

How does it effect you.

tell them everything and make sure they know it effects every part of your life

NotResponding
09-02-10, 02:02
oh, cheers judeswan, someone else has your avatar, you're twins!?
Yeah Im expecting them to be....evil, like that. I have to tell them it effects daily life even without working. I saw in a documentary once, a guy was going for a medical assesment, they told him to pick something up, he said he wouldn't usually try but he did it (whilst crying with pain) and they told him he could work.

I thought, if they're telling someone with neck/back problems, physical problems that are possibly visible that he can work, then I've got no chance with an axis 1 mental problem, SA. That's partly why Im worried.

I think I'll need to write a list of every detail or something, so I don't forget (happens when your very nervous).
Thanks for your input, appreciate it judeswan! :)

chloe555
10-02-10, 13:46
Hi,I was on ESA which is the new incapacity benefit for about 4 months.I then had to go for a medical.It lasted about 15 mins.I was sent a letter about 2 months after saying i was fit to work as i only got 6 points.I am appealling against the desicion.I have now had to go on jobseekers while waiting for the results of the appeal.When i go to sign on they say i shouldnt be on jsa cause im not well enough for full time work but yet they decided i wasnt sick enough for ESA.It has stresssed me out so much as i cant just go and get a full time job after not working for years.I was told by the jobcentre that so many people are being refused it now its really unfair.They never even contacted my doc or the hospital about whats wrong with me and how it affects me.They based their desicion just by asking me questions at the medical.I hope you have more luck than me on the outcome of your medical.

chloe xx

mandie
10-02-10, 13:58
Hi I am on ESA and i went for the medical last year.

I had a letter back to say i had failed and was fit for work, so I have appealed and am waiting now for a tribunal date.

I am so upset that a decision was based on a medical that took about 10-15 mins with a dr i have never met before so knows nothing whatsover about my condition

good luck with yours

mandie x