PDA

View Full Version : Gallstones, what were your symptoms?

Lissy43
08-02-10, 20:46
I was being treated for helicobacter last week and had a pain under my right rib when I saw the GP. He said possible gallstones aswell as the helicobacter. I was abit shocked because gallstones have never been mentioned before and the rib pain only started once i started with the helicobacter treatment.

It is like the odd little shooting pain in my right rib, but it's more located to the side of me than directly under my rib. It doesn't shoot up to my shoulder or anything like that. GP said it's probably not but they want to rule it out.

It isn't that painful, just like a niggle, feels more like abit of wind rumbling around, I have been full of it since the helicobacter.

I have a scan soon, waiting for a date. Think I have been through enough with the termination, helicobacter.... do I really need another thing to add to the mix??

What were your symptoms? How was it treated? My GP said there are other options, rather than surgery.

maybeoneday
08-02-10, 21:22
hi jessica
areyou feeling no better after taking the helicobacter meds? i am in so much pain tonight, did you ever feel like someone was squeezing you stomach tight and feel like you couldnt breathe? i get pain worse when im hungry? im still too frightened to take the omeprazole,

back to you, my freoind had gallstones and she had tem removed by keyhole surgery, its good your doctor is letting you have scans done to be sure.

Lissy43
08-02-10, 21:24
HI,

Yes much better, only finished the meds this morning though.

Yes I get that pain if I don't eat, it's awful. HUnger pains are the devil!!!!

Why have you not taken it yet? you really should, but more importantly you need to eat, hunger pains just cause more wind.

maybeoneday
08-02-10, 21:40
im scared to take them incase they make me feel bad!! stupid i know, do you get the tight stomach that leaves you breathless?
i am more windy though than heart burn so worried omeprazole wont work.
denise x

Lissy43
08-02-10, 21:47
You won't know unless you try it. I get VERY nervous about taking new meds, with good reason but I always make sure I have someone with me when I take them. If I get no reaction withing half an hour then I know I am fine and I relax.

Honestly don't worry, I am on lansoprazole permenantly now and I am not worried at all. The pros outweight the cons.

You will be fine, just be strong xxxx

I have had that feeling when the wind pains are very bad in my stomach.

maybeoneday
08-02-10, 21:52
i was thinking of taking it at night that way i can sleep through the side effects, i cant cope like this so i need too, i suffer from agriphobia and i was starting to go out again until i got this .
thanks for youur help hun.
denise x

Horse
08-02-10, 22:09
I have been suffering this for some time now. I had my Gallbladder removed by keyhole surgery last May but the pain has persisted since then. I've had the pain under my right lower ribs and it can moved round to the right side.
I had a CT scan last November which showed absolutely nothing wrong. The pain can affect my appetite and of course produce nausea. On Thursday of last week I had had enough and took myself off to A and E.

I had blood tests (normal) and a abdominal X ray (again normal). The final diagnosis was IBS. Unfortunately, IBS can only be diagnosed once all other tests have been negative, ie, Blood, urine, endoscopy, bacteria etc etc.

The point of interest hear is that if you are an anxiety sufferer, you will almost always produce too much acid in your stomach, which in turn will lead to inflamation, which will produce pain. IBS is a symptom which in my opinion is caused by anxiety etc. Acid and IBS seem to go hand in hand. The doctors now believe there was no reason to remove my gallbladder (although I did have very very small crystals inside it) because the reason for the Gallbladder inflamation.....and pain......was due to the acid! Hence the reason I'm still in pain.

I of all people refuse to take medication for my anxiety because I'm scared of side effects, but I'm afraid I have given in as far as the acid and IBS is concerend because I'd had enough. Therefore, I am on day 4 of Omeprazole and Buscopan and I have to admit that things are a lot better and so far, no side effects!

Please think that this may be acid that is causing your pain due to inflammation. The first step if this is so, is to reduce the amount of acid which will be done by taking anti acid medication. It's worth thinking about.

Good luck.

Lissy43
08-02-10, 22:14
Thank you.

I am on lansoprazole daily now. I have finished my helicobacter treatment.

I have always suffered from wind and acid, it has been especially worse since my op in December, I guess all down to stress and anxiety.

I do have IBS, all my bloods are fine, urine too. It was just helicobacter that showed up and the GP said I needed treating. They just want to do this scan to rule anything else out I think.

maybeoneday
08-02-10, 22:25
i too have ibs, my doctor has given me merbrivine, ive decided i am going to start taking tomorrow, my husbands off work so i can take them if i go funny hes there .
hoprefully make me feel better.

Horse
08-02-10, 23:13
I believe that most (prescribed) anti acids take about a day to start working properly.
I may be wrong but a doctor once told me this.

maybeoneday
08-02-10, 23:35
hi horse

i hope so i cant cope with htis much longer its getting me down, howlon did it take for you to feel better?

Horse
09-02-10, 10:13
I suppose about 3 days before I felt some relief. it all depends on how bad it is I think, and we are all different of course. Don't get me wrong, they aren't a magic wand, it depends if you have any inflammation in your tum as this won't go overnight. I've noticed that I am a little better regarding acid pain is concerned (I'm prescribed 40mg Omeprazole in the morning) and the IBS is slightly better with the Buscopan. The best cure of course is not to get it in the first place but we know that's easier said than done. Also, the tabs are not long term so we can't take them for the rest of our lives naturally.

I know they say that diet and excersize helps and I'm sure that's true, but at the end of the day we need to stop the cause of the anxiety in the first place, and that is more difficult and sometimes impossible for us.

Lissy43
09-02-10, 11:20
Feeling abit more worried today. Had a niggly windy feeling under my right rib, right side and low down on right, like wind in bowel and intestine, it just constantly bubbles:(( ibs?? It is wind but im worried its definatly gallstones:(( My gp said as it didnt hurt when he pushed around my liver then it was unlikely, that was last week. I now feel abit achy at times under that rib and im scared. Scan date is a few weeks off yet at least gp said:((

Any words of wisdom? Nothing seems to be going right for me:((

Cat80
09-02-10, 11:58
Jessica I get this wind pain all the time (and I mean daily). I can feel it moving violently around my ribs (in big loud judders) and all along my lower abdomen. I've been told it's IBS and to take Windeze capsules and antispasmodics which I do take. I also take the charcoal capsules to help absorb all the toxins which help a lot with the wind

Vanilla Sky
09-02-10, 12:03
Hi Jess . you got through the meds then ! My gp told me to give it another month after taking the helcobacter treatment , it is strong meds , give your body time to settle down hun , you'll be fine

pammy1944
09-02-10, 12:05
im scared to take them incase they make me feel bad!! stupid i know, do you get the tight stomach that leaves you breathless?
i am more windy though than heart burn so worried omeprazole wont work.
denise x
try gaviscon ....it reduces acid the same way

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 12:13
jessica

sorry your feeling unwell today, i think its a visous cycle the more we worry the more acid we get.
this is realy getting me down, i feel absolutly drained today, my stomach soundslike a sludge pump..is this acid? wind? i dont know anymore.
feel like im blocked from my throat to my other end is omeprezole going to get rid of this?
i read about charcoal tablets cat80 do they work? i just want to feel well. not much to ask for is it!!!

Lissy43
09-02-10, 12:24
do you think i could still be having wind and pain fron the helicobacter sbd treatment?

I constantly have a bubbly tum, but its mainly low down, really low down by knicker line and on the sides, and when i put my hand there i can feel the wind popping. My bottom also feels windy and popping:(( had those symptoms for months now:(( could that really be ibs?? Its mainly low on the right. The rib pain/wind started just last week.

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 13:10
jessica

have you tried wind ease or charcoal tablets? maybethey will help.
if the pain is lower i would of thought it was ibs, thats where my pain used to be an i was diagnosed with ibs, i didnt take anything for it i got mine after i had cezarian( crap at spelling).
wish i could pop !!feel like i need to burp or you no what to get rid of it.
all i can eat is rich tea biscuits.
was you very tired when you had helibactor? .
oh andive just bought som e activia yoghurts see if they help

Cat80
09-02-10, 13:52
I constantly have a bubbly tum, but its mainly low down, really low down by knicker line and on the sides, and when i put my hand there i can feel the wind popping. My bottom also feels windy and popping:(( had those symptoms for months now:(( could that really be ibs?? Its mainly low on the right. The rib pain/wind started just last week.

Exactly the symptoms I get, I can sometimes push my belly low down and feel the wind popping. The charcoal capsules really help and have no side effects (other than sometimes black poop). You take 2 after each main meals and with 2 days the wind will be so much better. Costs me £2.99 for 100 capsules from Holland and Barrett, my Dr even said they are good and ok to take

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 14:09
cat 80

im riddled with wind but mainly left upper, when i breathe in and out it sounds disgusting, would they help this do you think

Cat80
09-02-10, 14:37
I definately think they would help. I get really bad wind all down my left side, I can actually feel it juddering all down the side as it's moving around. When I take the charcoal capsules daily I really notice a difference. You can read about it here:
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004507.html

Also when it's really bad try taking a Windeze capsule ( I get mine from Poundland) but take it with food as that helps it get into the intestines better.

Lissy43
09-02-10, 14:47
Thanks Cat,

Does your GP think its all just IBS?

I am in a little worry today because my ribs ache, like ive sat funny and they ache, esp the right one really. Worried my liver is inflamed or something, maybe as a result of the meds ive just been on, sure liver problems were a symptom, but I am sure I'd be jaundice;-)

I just feel that I am never going to get a break.

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 15:00
hi jess

my freind had gallstones and her eyes were yellowy andher skin a bit too.

cat

thanks for the info it says to consult your doctor if your on other meds im on seroxat so i best check with him first.
im worried im doing this to myself, when i relax in bed im not so bad, doctor said ihad reflux but dont that effect you at night in bed.?
i feel realy sluggish too

Lissy43
09-02-10, 15:20
Thanks. I have no jaundice or anything but I am worrying about this pain under right rib, thinking it is something to do with my liver now:-( Maybe from the medication I have been on for helicobacter, as I am sure it was a rare complication of the meds.

Lissy43
09-02-10, 15:29
TMI but I am needing a poo twice a day the last 2 days, is that normal?? I guess anxiety could be the cause but since I stopped the antibiotics for helicobacter I am needing the loo more often, not the runs at all.

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 15:30
jessica

try not to worry, probably just some wind, have you told your doctor your still in pain.

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 15:38
sounds like ibs to me

Lissy43
09-02-10, 15:41
I saw him yesterday and he didn't examin me, just said not to worry as it would just be from the treatment, and to wait for the scan.

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 15:44
are you on any other meds

Lissy43
09-02-10, 15:50
No. Had a week of treatment for helicobacter.

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 16:29
my doctor told me to take omeprazole for a month.
my stomach is so hard and tight i feel like i cant breathe properly, and itsburning was you like this, ive had to go lay down.

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 16:35
ive justlooked it up i no you shouldnt google lol, it says to stay on the antacids for 4-8 weeks.

Lissy43
09-02-10, 16:40
I am on them for at least the next month, but that doesn't bother me.

Cat80
09-02-10, 16:57
hi jess

cat

thanks for the info it says to consult your doctor if your on other meds im on seroxat so i best check with him first.
im worried im doing this to myself, when i relax in bed im not so bad, doctor said ihad reflux but dont that effect you at night in bed.?
i feel realy sluggish too

I would check with your Dr too just so he knows what you are taking. I've taken them when on anti depressants and had no problems at all.

Jessica it's VERY common to get pain right under your rib with IBS. It can start from anywhere from your stomach to right above your pubic bone, anywhere the intestines go really. You definately sound like you have IBS.

I know Omeprazole can cause gas and I get a lot of pain and gas while on them but I can't do without them otherwise the acid comes back. Been on Omeprazole everyday now for about 2 years I think

Lissy43
09-02-10, 17:13
Thanks Cat.

I have just never had this achy rib pain before. I guess I should just relax.

My IBS pains are all over too, as low as under knicker line, you'd swear it was my womb.

maybeoneday
09-02-10, 18:24
cat

thats the thing m more gasy than acidy so worried if i take omeprazole ill be worse.
ive also got eye pain in my right eye is this conected?

Lissy43
09-02-10, 18:34
You just sound very anxious and jumpy about every ache and pain, try to relax. I get eye pain if I am tired, it's nothing to worry about x

Lissy43
10-02-10, 13:18
I saw my GP, and she explained to me that the triple therapy for helicobacter will knock me out of sorts for about 4 weeks, she said its basically like drinking domestos, lol!! and she said you wouldn't volunteer to do that, so what I have had is nasty.

I told her about the pain under right rib, she didn't examin it but she said she thinks that is IBS, she said IBS isn't just low down, it affects the whole abdomen, from the right, up under ribs and down to the left where the bowel is. She also said you can get stomach acid and pain. She thinks the helicobacter, stress and the medication has caused my IBS.

She was really nice and helpful, and I feel I understand my IBS much better. She gave me some buscopan on repeat now and i have to take it every day to try and keep my IBS at bay.

She doesn't think I have gallstones, but she said until the scan we don't know for sure, but she said wind could just cause the rib pain, and that I am not a candidate for gallstones as I am so slim/small, dark, only 30..... so she said to relax.

maybeoneday
10-02-10, 17:49
hi jessica

do you feel better now knowing, ive just spoke to my doctor and hes testing me for helibactor too, said not to take omeprozole until ive done a stool test, he was realy nice today and understanding which makes a change put my mind at rest about the breathing thing, said that my stomachs going into spasm high up which is making me breathless, so im going to be brave after my stool test and take the meds!!!!
did you do a stool test? they say the breathe test is the best one to do.

Lissy43
10-02-10, 17:51
I had bloods then a breath test, both were positive, which explained why I had been so unwell for the last 2 months.

You will be fine, honestly the meds just made me feel sick and I had the runs abit. As long as you eat with them, you will be ok.

Cat80
10-02-10, 18:07
I'm worried I may have to be tested for this even though I have all the symptoms. I just cannot do without the omeprazole for 2 weeks, I get acid after 24 hours without it. But if I have it I can't do with this feeling like I'm going to be sick all the time

maybeoneday
10-02-10, 18:19
did the omeprazole make you feel sick? my stepdad has to take it for the rest of his life.
i got to do something this is doing me in, im tired, i feel sick anyway, and im always hungry but it hurts when i eat.
how long was you on omeprazole for cat80
maaybe o back to see your doctor and ask for the test and askfor some long term meds
i had a auctiver yogurt lastnight, and today my stomach dosnt feel as bad unless thats wishfull thinking, but i plan on eating one every evening after tea.

Cat80
11-02-10, 12:18
I'm still on the Omprazole and have been for about 2 years. I feel sick all the time on it but I felt sick when not on it as well. I'm in pain with my tummy all the time and have loads of gas. All the Omeprazole has done for me is stop the acid reflux that's why I'm scared of the Dr saying she thinks I have H Pylori as I couldn't do without any antacids for 2 weeks to have the test.

I did the Activia yoghurt test last month and felt awful on it. Wo n't go into details as everyone is different but I won't be trying them again

Lissy43
11-02-10, 12:37
I would say if you could come off the PPI for 2 weeks just to do the test you would benefit in the long run. Just think how much better you will feel to be rid of helicobacter.

I am on lansoprazole 30mg every morning, but I can tell already that the antibiotics have helped me.

I still suffer daily though with wind/popping sensation very low down, all under the naval area, it is such a pain. I wake up with the bubbling low down, feeling like I need to empty my bowels too. I guess this is just the IBS, I just haven't ever suffered for so long, it used to come and go.

Cat80
11-02-10, 15:22
That's the main problem coming off the omeprazole. If I come off it even for 24 hours I have constant burning acid in my throat and feel really sick. Also have the bad stomach pains again. I've looked and I can't even take ranitadine if having the test.

I've found a home kit to be tested for H Pylori so may get one of those and then show the results to the Dr to get it confirmed IF I fo have it. You can buy them online (seen the one I may get on Ebay lol). Just a prick of the thumb and it tests for the antibodies.

I did one last year for cealiac and that was negative which is good.

Lissy43
11-02-10, 15:52
All you have to do is see your GP then for the blood test. I had that done first which was positive, then I had the breath test.

Yes I had the coeliac one too.

Cat80
11-02-10, 17:02
I'll happily have the blood test but reading up on the web they say it has to be confirmed with the breath or stool tests which worries me as I can't be off the Omeprazole and can't drink anything with orange or lemon flavour (makes me heave as I hate both).

I'll have to cross that is I get the blood test and ask if there are any antacids you can take while waiting for the breath test.

maybeoneday
11-02-10, 18:50
ive been taking gaviscon and andrews ihope they are ok to have with the stool test ive just done.
i can now take the omeprazole, i just hope it dosnt make me feel sick even more than i do.
my main symptom is i feel like i have a big burp in my throat and chest will it get rid of this.

Lissy43
11-02-10, 19:07
You can take gaviscon before the test, I am sure of it.

I am still windy, even when on lansoprazole, lol!

maybeoneday
11-02-10, 19:29
oh you dont win then lol