PDA

View Full Version : Pain in my left arm

gordie1
08-02-10, 21:41
Hi im 38 male type 2 diabetic non drugs controlled by diet and on statin for cholestrol. I suffer terrible health anxiety constantly convinced I am dying. I get chest pain but I had an ecg and that was normal but that would not show up a blocked artery would it? I moved house 5 weeks ago and was very stressed afterwards. I keep on getting pain in my left arm at the bottom near my elbow and my wrist. I also get tingling pain in my shoulder and left arm and breathlessness and tight pain across my left breast. I can be up all night checking my pulse and reading reports on heart attacks on line but cant get any reassurance. My mother says my posture is really bad I lie in bed at night all hunched up and I am always holding myself my left arm into my chest all scrunched up because of anxiety I have been prescribed citalopram 10mg but Im scared to take it I also take propanalol for anxiety seems to help to a mild degree but health anxiety has got worse when moving to a new house, I wanted to stay with my parents for a few days but they said no i would only have to come back and I would give them anxiety. But Im constantly worried about having a blocked artery but my doctor doesnt think I have because heart tape 24 hour and ecg was normal but I dont think they would show up a blocked artery. Does anyone get shooting tingling pain in left arm. I also lean on the computer table with my left arm for a long time. Please help me I think Im going crazy!!

KK77
09-02-10, 21:08
Well, firstly, you're not going crazy. You just have an anxiety disorder and once you start taking the medication you should gradually start to feel better. Don't be afraid to take them - there are many people here that are on both of the meds prescribed to you and they have no problems.

An ECG won't show up blocked arteries, you're right - only an angiogram can do that - but it would point to any abnormalities that could indicate a blockage.

I think the anxiety is the most important thing for you to focus on treating because that alone can impact on your physical well-being.

Hope you feel better soon.

Nomorepalpitations
09-02-10, 21:51
I am not a doctor but your symptoms sound similar to a condition that I suffer from. Its called costochondritis and is caused by my back and ribcage problems and is aggrevated by my poor posture (I'm a tall guy and tend to slouch). It is harmless and is caused by inflamation of the cartilage between the ribs and sternum, but it can feel like you're having a heart attack ( pain on left side of chest, numb left arm). The first time i noticed it I was running and thought I was having a heart attack. I had virtually all the heart tests done possible and was told I have the heart of a bull. That was 4 years ago and I still suffer the pains, I do pretty intense excercise reguarly and the pain is worse after this, not because of my heart but because of my ribs aggrevating my sternum cartilage after rapid, deep breathing.
Try to control your anxiety because that in itself can cause chest pain. You could be in a vicious circle of worrying about your health and getting stressed which then gives you chest pain and makes you more stressed. Some good natural stress relievers are 5-htp, valerian, hops, passiflora- you can buy these at most health stores.
Obviously, I don't want to give you bad info so if you are worried about your heart you should go back to your doctor and see if he/she will give you further tests and rule that out first and obviously take the meds that you are prescribed first. Best of luck.

lucyeast
10-02-10, 11:37
i too get these pains and have been told they are just anxiety related or a possible trapped nerve from holding my little one.
i have been taking propranolol for 3 weeks dont really think it helps much but cant take anything else at the mo as im still feeding my baby.
take the meds hopefully they will help you