PDA

View Full Version : what happens next?

TheGreatPretender
08-02-10, 23:04
hi,
ive been thru alot of anxiety and depression among other things and over time and abit of private therapy and medication thats ok now but there are things that go deeper than that but i dont know what, phobias, situations trigger panic attacks (real fear), can feel extremely self conscious, i think my brain works in a different way, how i think and feel, ive been told b4 that there is no right or wrong way and were all different but i dont buy that.
ive come along way but now i seem 2 have come 2 a dead end if u like and what i have and built up is now not enough, i am planning on going to see the doctor about this but im quite nervous its abit more of a big deal than just telling him im fine and that i want meds just 2 make life a little more comfortable.
um i think about going to see a psychiatrist, ive seen a psychologist he didnt really scratch the surface with me also i want free help not £50 an hour,i dont know anything about how it works, do psychiatrists spend alot of time to try and get right to the very problem and diagnose you and with what evers properly wrong because i dont think a gp who spends 8 minutes a time with u can really find out.
basically i just wanted 2 educate my self and know what i want when i go and see the doctor,cluless is an understatement.

thanx in advance

Downsinthenorth
09-02-10, 12:38
Hi

Check out the health section in your local library - they will have books on anxiety and depression. By reading up on them, you can prepare yourself for going to see the doctor again - perhaps by making a list of issues you want to raise with him/her.

I find writing things down quite helpful. On a very basic level, it helps you to understand yourself and your personal reaction to anxiety and depression. I made a list of the worse problems that they cause me in my every day life (e.g. excessive drinking, avoiding driving to strange places and dislike of social situations). Then I just jotted down some ideas of how I could overcome each individual problem, or at least make it a little bit more bearable.

Doing this promotes self-knowledge, and it gives you the confidence to help yourself, even if it is only in small ways. Also, the information you collect is useful when you are talking to professionals about your problems - the more you can tell them, the more able they will be to help you.

Hope this helps.

Downsinthenorth
09-02-10, 12:40
Sorry, I posted before I'd finished. You might also want to see if there are any self-help group meetings in your area that you could go to.

TheGreatPretender
09-02-10, 22:11
hi m8, thanx yeah that does help much appreciated, i would definitely need to think of everything i need 2 address and write it all down, what are self help meetings? also id like 2 know about how a diagnoses works? i mean whos domain would that be doctor or psychiatrist?
cheers :)

Veronica H
10-02-10, 09:35
I am sure your nearest branch of MIND would be able to point you in the right direction and be able to answer your questions. I hope this new quest gives you the understanding you need to move forward. Hang in there anxiety buddy.

Veronicax

TheGreatPretender
11-02-10, 22:17
thanx

MB
18-02-10, 13:53
It might be worthwhile gaining a sense of the different therapeutic approaches that there are, and which, if any, seem "right" for you. That might help your GP know where to best refer you.

MB

snowbird
18-02-10, 14:03
I have started CBT Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and I believe it will be very helpful for my anxiety and depression. You could ask your doctor about CBT. There are also free websites with modules on CBT. I met with my doctor yesterday and she had spoken with a psychiatrist who highly recommends CBT. When I change my thoughts (negative self talk and thinking the worst) to what is really true then my emotions won't kick in to create my nervousness, anxiety, shaking, etc. I really believe this will help. This could be helpful to you to look into it.

I wish you the best of luck.