PDA

View Full Version : Too much Diazepam?

Gregor
09-02-10, 12:26
Hi,

I just had a visit from my new Occupational Therapist. Apart from her making me feel worse, she also commented on my prescribed dosage of Diazepam.

I told her i take 5mg 4 times a day (20mg per day) and she says that's exceptionally high (as much as 4 times what is the norm).

Now, i realise she's not the expert, but it got me a bit worried because i am so reliant on these tablets to get me through each day. I know i'm expected to be coming off them at some time soon. That worries me because shouldnt i be shown how to cope without them before coming off them?

My question for those taking it is how much is your dosage and is mine really that high?

Thanks,

Gregor

nanny
09-02-10, 13:05
Hi gregor

I'm on Diazepam and been addicted to them for 12 years now.
That dose is high but you are allowed 5x5mg a day, I stared on 3 times 5mg and was on those for years, I then went on the 2mg and was taking 6 a day.
I was told by my doctor to cut them down by half (afterwards being told by another this was the wrong thing to do) this i did and went through hell for weeks but i did it and now take 2mg 3xdaily.

I really would urge you to be careful with these tablets they have ruined my life and if i could stop one person from becoming like me through them i would.
If you have been on them a while you CAN NOT come off of them straight away, you must cut down and do it very very slowly.

Hope i have helped a little.

bomberbeamish
09-02-10, 15:40
hi ive taken in the past up to 40mg aday, 2x5mg 4times aday somtimes five, i weaned off them , but just cutting some out, and now i just take them when needed.

if you dont think you need it, dont take it, or cut it in half, i was told to do thta as well.

good luck xxxxxxxxx

rooby
09-02-10, 16:40
hi

my doc prescribed me 5mg 3x a day for two weeks and said it is safe to take for up to 6 wks. I haven't actually taken 3 on any day but just knowing i have them has been a help.
He said it is to break the panic anxiety cycle which helped me. it is also a good idea to just take a half sometimes, this just takes the edge off .

Don't worry too much if you haven't been on them too long. Sounds like the OT was a bit harsh with you.

Gregor
09-02-10, 23:44
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

The thing is i know how addictive they are and that's obviously a problem. I personally don't want to come off them because they really do help. Again, i know this is wrong, but at the moment i really don't know what i would do without them.

I would say though, although i am prescribed 4 per day, quite often i only take 3 like today - depending on how my day's going. Usually on day's i'm out and about i need more.

I also take Citalopram, but i'm led to believe this does nothing to ease my anxiety - not actually sure what the effect is supposed to be!

The problem is, although i'm not doing amazingly well, i am significantly better than i was a while ago and this can in the main be contributed to Diazepam and i'm very worried about going back to how i used to be. That was not an enjoyable time for me.

Veronica H
10-02-10, 09:54
:bighug1:Hi Gregor. There is nothing like the thought that something might be taken from us to make us hold on even tighter especially with this illness. It is unlikely that you will be allowed to stay on this high dose indefinitely, and of course although this tranquiliser gives us a break from the worst of the symptoms it does nothing to cure us, and is highly addictive.
My Dr has monitored the use of this drug very carefully and I have always had it as a security blanket in that I can take it if and when needed e g if going to the dentist would take one tablet half hr before. He will not issue a prescription for it without talking to me first and laying the law down about its use. The problem is that over time you will probably need more of the drug to achieve the same effect. By reducing the drug very slowly and retaining it for occassional use then I think you will find that it works much more effectively at such times. I would take this on at your own pace and try not to think of this as a negative move but as a necessary adjustment.

Veronicax