PDA

View Full Version : Panic everywhere!!

Scorpa
09-02-10, 21:31
hi, i am new to this form and would love some advice, my panic attacks started 6 months ago, i cant drive anymore, dont go anywhere on my own and will only leave the house if i have to. when i have a panic attack i have tried to use the advice of self help books, search the source of why i am panicing, distract myself, but i cant seem to stop it, once i go light headed thats it everything starts, cold sweats, pulpitations, i hate ques, i even cant watch some tv programmes like csi, and i was addicted to those (csi), i have stopped taking my son out this is affecting my family, this all just seems crazy and i would love to wipe the six months away and start again, but i cant,my doctor is sorting out CBT so i dont know what to expect but i would greatly appreciate advice from people who have experienced panic attacks, cheers x

bellalew
23-02-10, 14:33
:)hi there,sorry your not feeling well at the min,the panics are awfull iv experienced them 10fold,they take over your life and one cant seem to get back to normality or reality i so know how your feeing love,i used to shut myself in when i was having them,couldnt answer the door, the phone,couldnt go out,and lived in constant fear of just about everything,this is so easy to say, but you will be ok and they will subside doing slow breathing helps, relaxing your muscles best you can and thinking possative,try not to let them frighten you and go with the flow as it were,just tell yourself this wont harm me,and ill get over it, and i will beat it,.cbt will help you cope and put your mind at rest,let us know how you get on dear,sending a hug your way,hopeing your ok and better soon.:bighug1:xxxxxxxxxx

Oneday_Emma
23-02-10, 23:06
Hiya,
Sorry to hear what your going through, Remember your not alone.
Anxiety and panic attacks and controlled by ourselves, they are not illnesses. We allow our brain and body to react the way they do, and only you can stop it. Dont fight it, that will only make the experience more intense. We simply need to calm our selves down. Other people can help you, but i prefer to do it alone, as i end up snapping at them. Breathing excercises is a common source for most people. 7 11 breathing (breath in for 7 (Nose), exhale for 11(mouth)).
Panic attacks and anxiety is done with control, when you feel like your going to have one, just relax straight away, allow it in, familerise yourself with it, tell it your not afraid. YOUR IN CONTROL the more you do this the more confidence you will have when in different situations (shopping, indoors, driving)
Hope this helps, its helping me. Am here to talk if you want to
All the Best x

Neverbeensoscared
24-02-10, 06:40
I was exactly the same, best thing to do is to find people who will UNDERSTAND, as that seems to be the biggest set back and problem that ive had. Im 16 and mine started at least a month ago. maybe two months ago now im really not sure. It does suck and you feel like there is no way out of it. Trust me there is. This site alone is great for jst coming on late at night and chatting to whoever and doing it whenever. Ive had so much help and support now from this site alone and from friends who have been worried about me and such. not everyone i know understands however and this i struggle to accept. Dont depend on people too much because it crushes you when they are not there, when they cannot always be. Best thing to do is really push the doctors to put you on some good medication. preferably not beater blockers cuz i think they dont work and thats what i am on. im going back soon to find out about having someone to speak too. maybe you could do the same? you have to try find something to start getting you out again. My motivation is college. I have the passion to get up for it everyday. So you must find something that is going to drive away your moping and get you up and out. try and do things which will lift your self esteem. I made a massive heart which is now on my wall. Its got all the posts that i recive from people on this site. It really helps to look at it and think god people do understand and care. :) Its all about you trying to help and find ways to help yourself. Take care and remeber to concentrate on you! xxxxx

Mackins123
24-02-10, 08:32
Hello, sorry to hear you are feeling bad at the moment. 20 years ago i was in your situation... couldnt leave the house, couldnt drive,couldnt answer the phone, couldnt watch some tv programmes (quizzes i remember!) and i didnt leave the house for 3 years. Im 50 now and still agoraphobic but a lot better although i cant go anywhere alone. I had CBT only 2 years ago and it helped a lot but i think i had been ill for so long it was a bit late coming! It was once a week with a great therapist for a year, it helped me to understand why i was like i am. I even managed a bus ride alone lol.
Unfortunately i have let it slide which was daft of me and now have to start again but from a better position!
Im glad you are getting the help quickly, dont be afraid, things will get much better. YOU CAN DO IT!! Keep trying and dont give up, one little step at a time and pat yourself on the back for any achievement, no matter how small. Having said that i am now going to psyche myself up for a short walk around the block.... :) A little step to help me get going again.
Dont think you are going to be like this for 20 years like me, the help wasnt available then but it is recognised now. Today will be a good day for all of us who are trying so hard.
Big hug, Anne

Dafyddjohndavies
24-02-10, 14:59
Best advice I can give is to try and make sure the panic attacks don't stop you from doing things. The more you avoid situations the more difficult it will be in the future to overcome these obsticles.

CBT will force you to do all the things that are causing you to panic so that you brain re-learns that there's no threat. Hiding away confirms to yourself that there is danger and therefore makes it harder to get out.

I hid from things for months and eventually I was housebound!

Also remember panic attacks can not hurt you! You will not die. My CBT therapist has a jar which contains about £1,500 with a note saying this goes to anyone who has a heart attacl from a panic attack. Never been claimed in the 6 years it's been in his office :o)

Hope you feel better soon, and when you do go for CBT try and do everything that the therapist asks you to do without hesitation, and try to believe it will work. Some people do it half arsed and it doesn't work for them.

Good luck