PDA

View Full Version : Canesten

phil06
09-02-10, 22:27
Can anybody put my mind at rest. I have been using canesten cream and moisturizers daily for about two months. The doctor gave me it to treat a small bit of eczema. She just said use it twice per day..only been using it once as I have long lies...but she said keep using it even if it goes away for a bit. So if it comes back I guess you keep using it? is that right? A few weeks ago I read the label saying something abut breathing problems or dizziness as a symptom. So that worried me are you supposed to use it long term?

Basically after that I stopped then my skin actually got worse? So I started using it again and it's cleared up. Don't wanna keep using it so might try E45 cream tonight. But if that doesn't work will Canesten do any damage?

Any links might put my mind at rest.

smudger
09-02-10, 22:49
Ive used canesten before and re used without problem. Don't remember the leaflet mentioning prolonged use. There is a canesten website if you want to ask them direct. I wouldn't be concerned but ask your chemist if you are unsure.

marley
10-02-10, 01:02
As far as I'm aware, Canestan is a brand of anti-fungal cream, which is totally different to the cortico-steriod creams generally used to treat eczema. Antifungal creams are made of a similar ingredient to anti-dandruff shampoos, and to one of the drugs which is used to treat H. Pylori. Millions of people use it on a daily basis for a variety of ailments.

Perhaps giving your GP a call to get a recommend a skin cream to continue with would be a good idea. It would be a bit redundant to use an eczema cream if you in fact have a fungal skin condition (or vice versa).

Personally, I have suffered from the holy trinity of eczema, ringworm, and psoriasis. I actually found the most useful treatment of the eczema/psoriasis (other than anti-histamines) was rosehip oil (look it up). For ringworm, creams like Canestan are perfect. Used sparingly, I see no reason why you would have to worry about using Canestan until you were comfortable your skin was under control.

Brunette
10-02-10, 08:35
Ladies can use Canesten on their intimate bits for thrush so it won't do any harm! Not sure if it the right treatment for your skin condition though so check with your doc.

B

phil06
11-05-10, 18:29
Another silly question but I had been on Diazepam for a week and stopped using it so my skin has got all red and worse again...

decided to put some on tonight the cream..I have one more tablet to finish it won't hurt using both will it?

Won't make me go mad or cause damage will it?

Typer
12-05-10, 02:05
I have used canesten, no problems. No Diazepam is not a course, so you so not HAE to take it...but no, Diazepam will be fine while using it. Canesten for eczema seems an unusual prescription as someone else said its an antifungal