PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever get a negative feeling of dread?

Cell block H fan
10-02-10, 12:43
For no particular reason, you wake up in the morning & just feel really negative. Ocasionally I get this & i'm generally a happy person believe it or not! lol
I get this awful feeling that we have nothing to look forward to apart from getting some nasty disease & dying from it, seeing as 80% of people die in hospital, so I heard anyway.
I'm 39 now & I think blimey, half that time again & I will probably be dying of some disease & leaving people behind, & my life has already gone so fast, ive not even got the same length of time to go again.
Thats not right is it to think like that & I know it sounds soooo negative. I dont get it everyday, but do you ever get it at random times? :lac:

Vanilla Sky
10-02-10, 12:55
I get it a lot these days , but then again my anxiety has been high this last while. It wont last forever, just tell yourself of when you start thinking that way , even if it is out loud , i do that to get it into my head . Enjoy your good health and let's be thankful we have it. look on it as a blip and it will pass Love Paige x :)

Starscream
10-02-10, 15:55
Just about every day :weep:

Debdaw
10-02-10, 16:16
Been getting it a lot lately, waking up with a feeling of impending doom is the best way to describe it. I normally remember something thats making me anxious within a minute or two of waking up.

marley
10-02-10, 16:26
I know what you mean about that feeling of dread! I know it so well... every morning well!

I'm not sure what you mean by the comment about 80 percent of people dying in hospital? That can't be right. There are very populous parts of the world where that percentage of people never see a hospital, let alone die in one.

Most people with heart disease die at home, and not hospital. Same with those who die of natural causes.

MOMINPANIC
10-02-10, 16:33
I totally can relate to that! I recently heard on the news that 6 out of 10 people at some point in their lives will get cancer. Not sure if that's true or not, but it was enough to freak me out! I completely understand too what you mean about the age thing. I'm only 35, but I think how fast the last 15 years have gone, and in 15 years now from now I will be 50! I then think about how I am already halfway to 70! The older I get, I figure the more prone I am to some disease. I just wish time would slow down, but it just seems to go faster and faster. I think age and getting older just makes my HA get worse with time.

Cell block H fan
10-02-10, 16:59
Thanks for the replies.
Yes I think the older I get the more aware I am of things going wrong. Although I would say my HA got better as I got older, but mostly thats because the more ' episodes' I had, the more I realised I had been here before! If that made sense lol.
I dont remember where I got the 80% thing from, so it was probably unreliable anyway. I thought it meant in this country.
xx

Cat80
10-02-10, 17:02
I get this every morning and have done for months. Just can't shake the feeling of feeling bad about everything and thinking something is going to happen. Just wish I could have a positive head on for once

jojo2316
10-02-10, 17:18
Oh my goodness, i sooooo relate to this. And like other people it is usually worse in the morning: the awul sense of impending doom...... the fear is sometimes unbearable.... when i wake up i always do this mental scan to remember what particular cancer i suspect i have at the moment, then when i remember i get this HORRIBLE sinking feeling. i just wish i could break this cycle and feel normal again. :-(((

marley
10-02-10, 17:37
Statistics can be used to prove nothing and everything... for example;

In regard to cancer statistics (in general) the figures you've quoted are those who are diagnosed with cancer - not cancer deaths. The rates of survival for many of the more common cancers, skin, prostate, breast and bowel, have risen significantly in the past few decades. Also, remember these two things:

1. By far, the most commonly diagnosed cancer is non-melanoma skin cancer - a cancer frequently diagnosed and usually cured by a simple excision procedure. Cure rate? Over 99 percent.

2. These figures are not weighted by factors like age. Remember, humans are living for twice as long as we were 200 years ago, hence why it is more common for those in their elderly years to contract cancer than things like the plague.

MOMINPANIC
10-02-10, 17:42
Yes, that's what I meant, that 6 out of 10 people sometime in their lives will get cancer, not necessarily die from it, and yes, many cancers are curable. I am hoping that by the time I get to be elderly, there will be a cure for even more forms of cancer, and I would hope that that would really help with my HA since that seems to be my biggest fear is cancer.

Cell block H fan
10-02-10, 17:48
Cancer has been my only ever fear really. I never worry about heart attacks or a few other things ive seen people mention on here that I cant remember the names of at the moment. Its always the cancer fear.
It riles me a bit when there is something on the news about them thinking a certain cancer cure being found, then they add on the end that it wont be for 10 years. I tend to think, yeh, yeh, I remember hearing something similar to this when I worked in electronics, & that was about 18 years ago! Grrrrr lol

marley
10-02-10, 17:53
It's my biggest fear too - but I'm annoyed that when people (news, websites, etc) publish statistics like that, they don't show the logic behind their working. I'm a research student, so it's a personal and professional annoyance! For a statistic to be valid and reasonable, it needs to publish the criteria in which it is established. For those of us with health anxiety, this is especially important - even with clearly stated facts, we often find it hard to see past our initial fears.

Take here in Australia for an example. The majority of the population will be diagnosed with skin cancer at some point in their life. What those frightening 6 in 10 cancer figures don't point out clearly and rationally, is that most of those 6 in 10 will be diagnosed with a form of cancer which will be immediately operable and curable... scary, perhaps - but not the type of scary that the initial 6 in 10 figure assumes. Many people seeing 6 in 10 will begin to fear for their pancreas, lung and oesophagus, when this is an exception, and definitely not the rule.

Marley.

Cell block H fan
10-02-10, 18:00
It's my biggest fear too - but I'm annoyed that when people (news, websites, etc) publish statistics like that, they don't show the logic behind their working. I'm a research student, so it's a personal and professional annoyance! For a statistic to be valid and reasonable, it needs to publish the criteria in which it is established. For those of us with health anxiety, this is especially important - even with clearly stated facts, we often find it hard to see past our initial fears.

Take here in Australia for an example. The majority of the population will be diagnosed with skin cancer at some point in their life. What those frightening 6 in 10 cancer figures don't point out clearly and rationally, is that most of those 6 in 10 will be diagnosed with a form of cancer which will be immediately operable and curable... scary, perhaps - but not the type of scary that the initial 6 in 10 figure assumes. Many people seeing 6 in 10 will begin to fear for their pancreas, lung and oesophagus, when this is an exception, and definitely not the rule.

Marley.

When you put it like that, 6 in 10 of which most will be cured 100% it doesn't sound so bad I guess does it.
I just wish they would find a cure! I sometimes even think they dont want to! (politics) lol

marley
10-02-10, 18:06
Oh definitely! I think that all the time!

It annoys me that science has found a way to clone sheep and give men amazing erections - but it can't unlock the mystery of cancer.

MOMINPANIC
10-02-10, 18:08
My DH is convinced that the government has a cure for cancer, but for some reason or another won't say what that cure is. That would be really sad if that were true, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

Cell block H fan
10-02-10, 20:15
I expect its not true, but it does make me wonder why they come out with this stuff on the news, saying it will be ready in 10 yrs, only for it never to happen. I only remember that far back because ive had the HA that long LOL

Jimpy
10-02-10, 20:59
I get the feeling of dread alot, it starts with a massive sinking feeling and I am sure that something bad is going to happen and thinking positive is so tough at those times,

Typer
11-02-10, 01:10
I get that, but at night and this sops me from sleeping. In the morning it's not so bad.

looking4answers
11-02-10, 01:47
yes for weeks at a time.. check out some of my recent post here in the past few weeks.. Michael