PDA

View Full Version : varapermil - comments please!

sezios
10-02-10, 20:22
I've had missed beats/ectopics for 3 plus years, although not all the time but in episodes of weeks at a time. I get really scared when they are happening. I have had 24 and 48 hour monitors, echocardigram, ecg and seen a cardiologist. Have been told no underlying abnormalities but still scared. Recent episode started early Dec, had 48 hour monitor again and seems OK. Prescribed diazepam for dealing with the stress. Eating bananas! and yesterday GP said magnesium might help so going to try that too. Also been suggested that I could have varapermil (I can't have beta blockers as I have asthma) but GP reluctant to prescribe as I don't have them all the time. I also don't really want to take drugs when I'm 'well'. Anyone out there take varapermil? Would varapermil help? once I started taking it would I have to stay on it? comments please!!:wacko:

Maj
10-02-10, 21:45
My goodness, I could have written this post!! I also cannot take betablockers because of asthma. The consultant at the hospital is recommending another drug to my gp, but I have said no. Lots of side effects come with such drugs. Yes, obviously betablockers are also "heart and bp" drugs, but I know loads of people who take them, especially for palpitations. I would probably have used betablockers as a wee crutch instead of letting them go on for months on end and getting worse. After numerous tests I have been told that my heart is healthy. This, at the moment, is reassurance for me. My ectopics calmed down when I took time out and reflected on why I started taking them in the first place. I've always been an anxious person but up until about 7 months ago had never experienced ectopics. I had to look at why I thought I started taking such a symptom and work out ways to try and de-stress myself. Not easy, I know. My mum takes verapamil but will take it for the rest of her life because of arytthmia. Her heart was obviously under strain. I've been told my heart is healthy so I don't want to take anything like this until I really have to. I know it is absolutely awful at times having palpitations, but when you really know that they are harmless you are on the way to calming them down. It's a personal choice really, but if you know they are caused by anxiety, and your heart is healthy, it makes you really think. I think that the only way I'd take such a drug is if it made it impossible for me to work and carry out my day to day routine.
Myra:hugs:

Maj
10-02-10, 21:49
p.s. I'm going on a four and a half hour flight in the morning, so no doubt the ectopics will decide to revisit me then!! I hate flying!!:lac:

Nomorepalpitations
11-02-10, 19:11
Give taurine a try, it cured my palps.

sezios
11-02-10, 19:54
Thanks for replies! I will look into taurine (never heard of that!). Myra, my mum has had SVT most of her life and had to take drugs, she now gets AF too; she has had many procedures over the years including cardio aversion. This obviously doesn't help my anxiety as I'm terrifeid I'll end up like this. Like you, I'm also terrified of flying and I am taking a flight tomorrow, but only a 15 minute one and I'll be reaching for the diazepam for that! I don't think I could make myself do a long one right now so I do admire you. Hope you have an ectopic free trip :)