PDA

View Full Version : acid indigestion/ omeprazole

melvin
11-02-10, 17:36
can anyone tell me if they are on omeprazole for acid reflux i keep geting pains in chest and middle of the back most of the time its in the chest i was on 20mg been told to go to 40mg do these tabs work its seting my anxiety off

ronski
11-02-10, 17:55
Hi Melvin

I used to be on Omeprazole 40mg but I had to come off them because of awful side effects especially with increasing my anxiety levels and giving me major agitation after 4 months of usage. After seeing my GI consultant he swapped me to Lansoprazole 15 mg and I have had no real problems since and I have been on them for about 2 years. Yes you can get chest pain with Omeprazole and a whole host of other problems, so have a word with your GP and try an alternative. Yes they are in the same group of medications but the compounds are so different. Lansoprazole is a much newer drug and is seem to be more expensive to the NHS so maybe thats is why they try most people on the cheaper drug Omeprazole. I also take a good vitamin pill each day and that was advice given me by my GI consultant while I am taken these PPis. I hope this is helpful, take care.

Lissy43
11-02-10, 19:12
I took omeprazole, it made me feel very sick so I was switched to lansoprazole which works well and I feel ok on it really. I have been on it nearly 2 weeks now.

Chrissie21
15-02-10, 19:14
Hi Melvin,

I can relate to this completely. I prefer lansoprasole as well. It really was much much better than Omeprazole. It has turned out though, that my 3 months of constant acid related chest pain is down to an H pylori infection in my stomach, causing the over production of acid. I am now getting this treated by antibiotics

Therefore, if you find your problems does not go away perhaps ask the doctor for the test. I wish I had pushed for it a few months ago, as it looks like i suffered uneccessarily, and just got brushed off with 'nervous indigestion' for far too long.
X

nomorepanic
15-02-10, 19:16
I take Omeprazole when I need to and find it fantastic and never had a problem taking it.

Lissy43
15-02-10, 20:05
Me too Chrissie, finished the meds a week ago.

Cat80
16-02-10, 10:53
I've been on Omprazole for over 2 years now. Must admit it makes me feel sick but if I didn't take it I would be getting constant burning acid so need to weigh up which is worse

kats
18-02-10, 16:51
can anyone tell me if they are on omeprazole for acid reflux i keep geting pains in chest and middle of the back most of the time its in the chest i was on 20mg been told to go to 40mg do these tabs work its seting my anxiety off
hi, yes i too av pains in chest an middle of back an up my dose of omerprazole to 40mg for about 2week then bk down to 20mg , it can be very painfull :weep:

maybeoneday
22-02-10, 22:16
does anyone find it difficult to breathe, my stomach feels tight and my throat feels blocked with a burp and i fining it hard to breathe. im not on meds i start lansoprazole tomorrow, does this sound like acid reflux to anyone? also is anyone worse when due on?