PDA

View Full Version : I now Fear that I have celiac diesase. Please someone help me!

Tinker28
12-02-10, 01:00
Hi, now my reason for thinking this is a co working mentioned this to me at work, and I mentioned after I eat brown bread I get bloated, and so far it's only after I eat the whole wheat bread I get bloated. When I googled this it mentions the dreaded ''C'' word! I hate that word! I am seeing my Dr on Tuesday. and you see I went to my Doctor a while ago for my bloating, he did send me for blood work, I don't know what he tested me for, im hoping he sent me for the Celiac test already, cause he did say my blood work came back good, but i don't know what he tested me for. Im just soo sick of freaken out all the time over health issues, it's really starting to get annoying. Can anyone help me? It doesn't run in my family, i know that much!

smudger
12-02-10, 08:53
Coeliacs disease is a reaction to gluten, a protein found in wheat, and other similar proteins found in rye, barley and oats. My Dad and Sister have it and i am being tested for it next week. It is found in some sweets, chocolates, breasds, cakes, pastries, processed foods, yoghurts, drinks, sauces...the list is endless. If you have it, it isn't only bread that will give you symptoms. You may have an intolerence to wheat rather than coeliacs. The only way is a blood test but make sure you carry on eating gluten or you will get a false negative on your test.Its not the end of the world if you have got it. You just need to make dietry changes. Good luck.

Cat80
12-02-10, 10:39
I thought I had this as I felt sick and bloated after eating wheat/gluten. I did a test which I bought online (a thumb prick test) and it said my results were negative so I don't have coeliacs. To be sure I cut wheat/gluten out for 5 weeks and I didn't feel any better so I know it's not that. You can buy these kits online for about £15 so about $30.

gypsywomen
12-02-10, 10:47
My dughter has coeliac disease, she can't eat anything with wheat or gluten, soya or barley in her symtoms were picked up in a blood test low vitamns low iron she's even had to have blood transfusions and iron infusions, she was always very tired and no energy, very pale bad skin, hair they can do it in a blood test but it doesnt always pick it up they picked hers up with biopsies from her stomache.

Lissy43
12-02-10, 11:45
I would imagine you have already been tested for coeliac disease if you have seen your GP about this in the past.

I saw my GP recently with awful stomach aches and I was tested for this along with helicobacter.

An intolerance to wheat can cause stomach bloating and pain after eating bread etc... my mum suffers but she just limits the amount she eats. It doesn't mean you have coeliac disease.

Don't worry, it is nothing to panic about at all. Just see what your GP says.

rooby
12-02-10, 11:57
hi there i have coeliac disease and it is not so bad anyway. I had severe anaemia, mouth ulcers and constant diarrhea and doc picked it up on a blood test and it was confirmed with a biopsy. I was 28, so i have been gluten free for 12 years. Once you eat properly it is absolutely fine and it has certainly been the least of my worries!
There is no history of it in my family and it usually starts after a major event such as pregnancy or severe stomach bug - in my case i had both, and if you are genetically prone to coeliac then these can trigger it.
Believe me, it is really not terrible and nothing to be anxious about as the only treatment is a proper diet, which will be more healthy and pure and you will feel so much better on the right food.

Your problem could just be ibs which is stress related or as someone said just wheat intolerant. If you find out you do have it and want more help I will do my best to answer any question

all the best
Rooby

smudger
12-02-10, 15:17
Hi, meant to say general blood tests do not include for coeliacs at my doctors. Doc has to specifically write it on the form so maybe you haven't been tested yet. You could just ring the doc and check to save you a wasted journey just in case he has already done it. I wouldn't pay for a prick test when your doc will do it for free! Spend the money on a treat instead!lol! I sat in with the consultant when my Sister was diagnosed a month ago and he said the blood test these days are 99% accurate. She tested positive by blood but had to have a biopsy anyway for a full confirmation so that she could get prescription gluten free food ( about 10 yrs ago my Dads was picked up by a biopsy because the blood test was negative, tests weren't so accurate back then apparently!). In my case with a family history of it, if mine comes back negative a biopsy may be done anyway as I am having stomache and toilet issues and suffer depression ...oh joy! Think u said u have no family history so thats a plus. Let us know how you get on won't you? Good luck and there really is no need to worry.:hugs:

Tinker28
18-02-10, 01:36
Thank you everyone who has posted a reply and give me a more positive look on this matter. It has helped so much! I just have to try and remember happy thoughts always! Hugs!! :bighug1:

Trish
20-02-10, 23:07
Hi
I came on here to to write a post about coeliac disease as my gp thinks i have it, and i found this post.

About 6 weeks ago i came up in a very itchy rash on my arms (nowhere else) and visited another GP and she gave me some antibiotic cream for it, i used it for 7 days and it went but on for a few days and it came back!

I went back and saw another Gp on Tuesday and he said it looked like dermatitis herpetiformis which can be a symptom of coeliac disease so he took blood and i have to return next week for the results. The rash drives me nuts and i just can't leave it alone:weep:

I have been feeling off colour since the beginning of January when i had a flu like virus that never seems to leave me, i can go a few days feeling ok but the i get very tired, i also feel that my mood changes so quickly...can this be a symptons of this disease does anyone know?

I'd be very grateful for any replies as i don't want to google:blush:
Thanks in advance
Trish x

suzy-sue
20-02-10, 23:22
Your symptoms are all common with Anxiety .I used to get exactly the same .always feeling like I had flu coming ,dermatitis ,excema ,mood changes fatigue and depression .I had terrible IBS AND ALSO recurring need to go to the loo for a wee .I think if you dont have any other symptoms it will turn out to be Anxiety related .If not a Gluten free diet will sort it out ...Your Dr is just making sure to be on the safe side ..ALLTHE BEST luv Sue x:hugs: