PDA

View Full Version : panic attack

melvin
12-02-10, 17:32
hi everyone can any one tell me if this was a panic attack over the last few months or longer iv been getting chest pains every day a couuple of months ago i had a sore throat for severn wks i had to have biopsys and every thing quite streesfull but i was told i had acid reflux so started takeing tabs for them they have put my chest pains down to acid but im never sure iv had heart ecg on treadmill all ok lungfuntion all ok but to day i went to visit someone in hospital i got out my van wked across rd up the lift when i came out i got chest pain i felt i could not breath or out of breath and i felt sick it scared me so i stopped 10 mins and went to docs who said id had a panick attack and id have known about it if it was my heart he said i was makeing myself ill with worrying about chest pain all the time can a panick attack come on so quick like this he told me i have to start takeing some meds he gave me 2 months ago to calm down but i hate takeing meds so what do i do

Vanilla Sky
12-02-10, 18:36
Hi Melvin , I know how you feel , you don't believe that all these pains can just be panic. But they are. It took me so long to get it into my head , ,I kept thinking that maybe the doctors are missing something or with each panic attack you are convinced that this time its something serious.
You got checked by the doctor while you were having an attack and they would KNOW if there was anything wrong so you need to keep saying that to yourself.
Do take the tablets , give them time and they will work , you will start to become calmer.
Good luck
Love Paige :)

ronski
14-02-10, 12:18
Yes Melvin it sounds like a panic attack brought on by shallow breathing and hyperventilation. Chest pain for most people would bring on a Panic attack especially with the media continually harping on about being vigilant about heart issues. This I feel is a double edged sword as it can be helpful getting people into hospital at the right time when having an MI but it can also in some individuals and I am one of them to become extra vigilant in monitoring every twinge in that area of the body. I had Oesophageal ulcers and yes they can cause a lot of chest pain so take the tablets and it may take a few months for the pain to stop as its not an instant cure. Mine took about 4-5 months before all of the pain subsided so dont think by the end of the week things will be a lot better.I hope this helps.