PDA

View Full Version : Going from 10mg to 20mg

-Emily
12-02-10, 22:28
I saw my doctor yestersday and she has upped my dose to 20mg, i was just wondering if i will get any increased side effects from this?
On 10mg ive been lucky and havent had any side effects:)
Thank you xxx

edit: ive now been on the higher dosage for 4 days and im feeling really terrible really sick and anxious :(

suzy-sue
12-02-10, 23:57
If you didnt get any once you started on it you should be ok .When you up your dose its not as bad as the start anyway ,provided you do it by small ammounts ,and youve stabilised on the previous dose first .You will know in a couple of days ,so take it from there .Good luck Sue xx

melvin
13-02-10, 13:11
hi i have just started 5mg im going onto ten when i get used to them do they work though

suzy-sue
13-02-10, 13:16
Worked for me Melvin :yahoo:Each upped dose will take 4-6 weeks to work effectively tho .Some days will be better than others until it stabilises ..I went up to 35mg before i felt at my best .Im now on 30mg .Been doing really well on them the last year ...Good luck ,hope your as lucky .Sue x

robbieuno
13-02-10, 13:43
Hi emily, i went from 10g to 20g a day and my side effects have got less with the higher dosage but still not really working.i do feel more level headed and not so many chatter box in my head.but still no motivation or confidence in any thing. But im going to ask my doc to up dossage to 30g a day next week and see what happens.wish you well robert

JT69
13-02-10, 14:31
Hi I have taken these meds for a number of years and found that I didn't suffer side effects from an increase as long as it is done gradually. You are lucky Emily that you didnt suffer any side effects when starting them so I am sure you will be absolutely fine. I did have side effects when first taking them but that was all as I increased dosage because it was very gradual I didnt notice any.
Robert how long have you been taking the 20 for?? It may be you need a higher dose. My Gp usually left it 6 weeks before an increase as it can take this long for you to feel the full effect. Jo.

Jannie2948
13-02-10, 14:47
Hi there, I've been on 20mg for about 12 weeks now. Am thinking of asking dr to up them to 30mg because I still have the odd panic and my anxiety is still there a bit. Did they make a real difference to you when you upped your dosage? I feel fine most of the time but still have the odd blip now and then and I want to get rid of those! Please could you let me know if you felt better going from 20mg to 30mg. Thanks very much.

Jannie :)

JT69
13-02-10, 15:04
Hi Jannie I took citalopram for a number of years for anxiety, I found that when I went through what you call the odd blip I increased to 30ml (with the supervision of the GP) and it really helped. Because I took them for a long time (as a preventative) I used to drop back down to 20ml very slowly when I felt better again. You may want to increase to 30ml and stay on that for a while. But yes it has been effective for me in the past. Good luck. Jo.x

martbarr
13-02-10, 16:09
Hi Jannie I took citalopram for a number of years for anxiety, I found that when I went through what you call the odd blip I increased to 30ml (with the supervision of the GP) and it really helped. Because I took them for a long time (as a preventative) I used to drop back down to 20ml very slowly when I felt better again. You may want to increase to 30ml and stay on that for a while. But yes it has been effective for me in the past. Good luck. Jo.x

Hi Jo

Just curious - my cit packet says 20mg not 20ml.
Do you take a liquid version, cos ml is a liquid measure and mg is a weight measure.
I'd be very interested in trying a liquid version if such a thing exists.

Thanks
Martin

Jannie2948
13-02-10, 16:50
Thanks very much Jo, I will have a word with the dr on Friday and see what he has to say. He has really been very helpful to me so hopefully he will head me in the right direction. You state you took 20ml and then 30ml, do you take a liquid form of Cit?

Jannie

JT69
14-02-10, 13:16
Hi Mart and Jannie, would you believe I am a trained dispenser??? What a dork!! I think its the meds I am on!! LOL. I took a tablet form of the drug. I have looked it up in my mims book and they do a form of the drug in drops (cipramil drops) I am not sure how often Gp's prescribe it though as it works out rather more expensive than the tablet form. Jo.:)

Pixie_girl
15-02-10, 09:29
I started on 20mg on both times I was prescribed this drug and the worst side affects I experienced then and now were drowsiness and slightly increased anxiety. I did feel a bit sick for the first few days of taking it again but that has gone away again.

martbarr
15-02-10, 11:12
Hi Mart and Jannie, would you believe I am a trained dispenser??? What a dork!! I think its the meds I am on!! LOL. I took a tablet form of the drug. I have looked it up in my mims book and they do a form of the drug in drops (cipramil drops) I am not sure how often Gp's prescribe it though as it works out rather more expensive than the tablet form. Jo.:)

Hey up JT69 (some of these names in here are fascinating !)

So - whats a mims book - sounds a bit techie LOL

cheers
Mart

JT69
15-02-10, 13:32
Hi Mart, that made me:)!!! Sorry about that!! Its a book you have in the dispensary which tells you about drugs etc (prices, types and so on). A new one comes out each month and we are able to take the old one home for reference etc. I find it very useful. You sound like you're from up north with your hey up!???
Jo.

martbarr
15-02-10, 13:59
Hi Mart, that made me:)!!! Sorry about that!! Its a book you have in the dispensary which tells you about drugs etc (prices, types and so on). A new one comes out each month and we are able to take the old one home for reference etc. I find it very useful. You sound like you're from up north with your hey up!???
Jo.

LOL - well if Nottingham counts as "up north"
That's what I think of Lancashire folks!

We do have some very funny habits up here.
As I discovered when I married a Notts girls and moved here!

They call you 'love' and 'duck' in the supermarkets, even the men.
The first time a man called me love I had to dash home and check I wasn't displaying any encouraging clothing like a pink t-shirt, or "come on big boy" socks - but no it was just one of those nice local scary things that happen up here :D.

You just need to tune in!
And if that fails, just pretend you have some idea of what they're on about.
:)

martbarr
15-02-10, 14:00
Jo.

aha so you can get cheap drugs eh ?
I wouldn't tell anyone else on here.
Can it be our little secret????

JT69
15-02-10, 16:55
Hi Mart, Nottingham is up North as far as I'm concerned, originally from Lincolnshire, now living in Kent. Cracks me up when I hear some of the expressions and makes me think of where I come from. As far as getting cheap drugs absolutely no, its just a book that makes Pharmacies and GPs aware of prices, hence the reason they often prescrible a cheaper alternative! Catch you later duck!!! Lol. Jo.

martbarr
15-02-10, 17:36
Hi Mart, Nottingham is up North as far as I'm concerned, originally from Lincolnshire, now living in Kent. Cracks me up when I hear some of the expressions and makes me think of where I come from. As far as getting cheap drugs absolutely no, its just a book that makes Pharmacies and GPs aware of prices, hence the reason they often prescrible a cheaper alternative! Catch you later duck!!! Lol. Jo.

and they don't speak funny in Kent then ?
We had a fortnight in Deal one day, and needed to carry a language guide with us at all times.

So - I need to avoid all pharmacies and dispensing outlets in Kent
just in case you use mls instead of mgs LOL
Sorry only teasing ................

JT69
15-02-10, 20:57
Hi Mart my husband tells me they speak proper english in Kent...I beg to differ. And what did you find to do in Deal for 2 weeks???? Jo.

martbarr
15-02-10, 22:12
Hi Mart my husband tells me they speak proper english in Kent...I beg to differ. And what did you find to do in Deal for 2 weeks???? Jo.

The castle and a cafe and a wander round a ship!
Lovely it was for the first few days.
That just left the white cliffs experience.
and Dover castle, where the coffee was £3 a cup!
and no cake.

Hey up - duck - love it !
M

-Emily
21-02-10, 18:46
hey guys thanx for your help, ive now been on the higher dosage for 4 days and im feeling really terrible really sick and anxious :(...and ive got uni tomorrow and i really scared about going:weep:

Jannie2948
21-02-10, 18:56
Hi there, saw my dr on Friday and he has increased my dosage from 20mg to 40mg! I thought I would just go up to 30mg but he says that the best dosage for anxiety is 40mg so who am I to argue. I've been taking the increased dose since Friday, 20mg in morning 20mg in evening. Just very slight increased anxiety but I have diazapam if I need them. I am so hoping that I will get rid of the odd days of anxiety with the increased dose.

Emily, I was on 20mg for 3 months, very bad at first but side effects eased after about 2-3 weeks. Hope you get on ok.

Jannie x x

AJS
21-02-10, 19:58
Hi jannie
Just read through this thread.
I've been on 20mgs for about 11 weeks - just about to go into my 12th week. Although I have come a huge way I am still having a little anxiety and the odd panic attack - I am due for a review with the gp next week - and am thinking of talking over an increased does. I'm not sure about it - do you think that the increase has helped take away that extra bit that just was not shifting?
Don't get me wrong life is still good and the anxiety etc is bearable - I'm still able to work full time - but it would be good just to get rid of that stubborn niggle.
I'm seeing a stress counselor as well which is helping - think i'm maybe just being impatient?
AJ:)

Jannie2948
21-02-10, 20:06
AJ, I know exactly what you mean. I too was fine on 20mg for 3 months but still had that odd day here and there and still had a little bit of anxiety and panic, apart from that I was so much better. My dr said that 40mg was the best dosage for anxiety so I now take 20mg in morning and 20mg in evening. Only started Friday evening and hope to feel the benefit soon. Not sure if I will have to wait a number of weeks before I get the full benefit. I too am a little impatient and want to feel better NOW! I'm also thinking of starting to go and see a therapist to get my mind around why I feel this way. I also work full time and I only have the odd occasion at work where I feel a bit anxious, the dr gave me some diazapam (2mg) to get me through those moments if I need them. Hope you get on ok at your dr's and that you get through those last little bits of anxiety.

Jannie x x

JT69
22-02-10, 13:12
Hi Emily, I hope you got on o.k. at Uni. I would say you are experiencing a little of side effects from the increase as 10mg is a very low dose. Hopefully it will settle quickly (as you had none in the begginning) but if not then perhaps you could try taking 10mg/20mg on alternate nights, and then slowly add more 20mg's??? Just a suggestion as I had to experiment alot with this drug to avoid the side effects and have done this myself in the past. Hope that helps. Jo.xx

AJS
27-02-10, 15:10
Hey Jannie

Just wanted to see how you were getting on with your increased dose? I hope things are going well for you!

I went to the docs yesterday and was dissapointed as it was a new gp - so didn't go into to much detail. She said it was up to me if I thought an increase would be beneficial - so i decided to hang off and see how i go - she has told me to continue to take the propananol to take the edge off the body symptoms like increased heart rate etc. I have decided to stick with the 20mg and the stress counselor for the next 2 months but if things get worse or don't improve then i will ask for an increase.

AJ :)

Jannie2948
27-02-10, 15:24
Hi AJ, been on the increased dose now for 1 week, not bad but went out last night with work colleagues and had felt quite anxious. I'm not too good in loud places with lots of people so was a bit shaky. I am hoping that the increased dose will even get me past those moments, but it's only a week so don't really feel any different yet. Hope it doesn't take as long as when I first went on the 20mg. Hope you keep improving on the 20mg, my dr told me that 40mg was the best dosage for anxiety so hey ho lets see what happens. Shame you can't see the same dr, I've been very lucky with the one I'm seeing now, the first two were no help at all. I was put on Propranolol but they made me feel really ill so came off them after about 6 weeks, the Citalopram is much better for me, just want these odd days of panic and anxiety to disappear, not asking too much is it?!?! :-)

All the very best to you

Jannie x x

AJS
27-02-10, 15:48
Hey Jannie
Glad to hear you are doing well.
Don't worry about feeling anxious while out with your colleagues - i get the same - i find it's just the niggling fear of the "what if i start to panic?" etc. I have made fast excuses and left previous nights out and had a panic attack in the taxi on the way home!!! When I go out now I always make sure i have the car so i can get home fast if i need to ( i also have ibs and my tummy gets upset when i get nervous)
I have hardly been out since october - think i've had one night out with my colleagues which ended up really good. I've also been off cigarettes, alcohol and caffeine since oct - still to scared that any stimulants will trigger a big panic attack.
i find the propananol good - i was prescribed 40mg but i cut them in half and usually take half before leaving to go to work ( i hate the journey in) then maybe another 2 halfs throughout the day as required - they don't make me feel sick.
i'm not ruling out an increased dose - but will see how things go.
Just keeping my fingers crossed for us both - it will be great when eventually we rid ourselves of even the tiniest bit of anxiety.

Jannie2948
27-02-10, 16:14
Thanks AJ, I too have stopped having anything with caffeine in it, only have decaf tea or coffee and only usually one of those a day, they also triggered massive panic attacks in me. So horrible that this affects our lives like this and I just can't wait to be 'normal' again. My colleagues are brilliant with me cos they totally understand, in fact they really look after me and can see if I start to panic, I try not to cos I never want to spoil their evening. I work in London so have a train journey to and from work, I find that is the hardest part, it's only about 30 mins but sometimes have to meet a friend to travel in with, other days I'm fine. I have diazapam to get me through the really horrible moments so nothing is ever too awful, not like in the beginning when I couldn't function at all. I'm so sorry that you haven't been able to get out since last October, is that socially? I usually try to get out most weekends even if it just to go shopping with my friend or one of my sons will usually take me out and they understand what I'm going through and so if I have to get back home quick they're ok with that.

Here's hoping that we will some day soon start to feel much better, and I've got everything crossed!!

Jannie x x

AJS
27-02-10, 17:14
hey Jannie

Sorry - i meant i've only been on one night out since October, i do go out at the weekends like shopping or take my wee girl to the cinema etc - i can cope with things like that.

My colleagues are really good with me aswell - i tend to tell them if i'm feeling a bit anxious and they are ok with that.

Yep i hate the train journey to and from work - mine is about 25 mins - some days i am ok and others i count down the minutes till i can get off. my partner gets to work from home - i am soo jealous - but at least it makes me get out and challange myself.

Since stopping the tea and coffee (used to be around 8 cups a day) I have found a new passion for trying out all different decaff alternatives. The best ones so far are twinings chamomile,honey and vanilla, tazo calm tea (from startbucks), whittards cinamin chai they are all lovely.

Jannie2948
27-02-10, 17:26
Thanks for letting me know about those decafs, I'll have to try them, I think I've had the twinings chamomile with honey and vanilla, but its hard to find ones that you really like, never even used to drink tea but now I do!! I gave up alcohol last year when I first went onto meds and only once tried one drink and it made me feel so bad I have not tried it since, do miss the occasional glass of red wine though :-)

Its good that you can still get out with your daughter and go to the cinema and shopping, do you ever feel panic in the shops though?

I know exactly what you mean about the train journey, that used to be where I felt at my worse, used to think I was going to pass out!! I too am lucky with my friends at work who know that if I'm bad my boss usually lets me go home, a real sweetie.

What part of the country do you live in, north or south? I'm in the south and I live very close to the station and work very close to the station when I get off so it purely is the train journey that I'm not too happy with.

martbarr
27-02-10, 17:27
....best ones so far are twinings chamomile,honey and vanilla, tazo calm tea (from startbucks), whittards cinamin chai they are all lovely.

I'm sticking with decaff coffee and sainsburies blackcurrant fruit tea -
Although I do admit to several diet cokes and real coffees last night to keep awake.

You and Jo are very welcome to your strange concoctions :)

AJS
27-02-10, 17:31
i'm in glasgow - the home of the deep fried mars bar - in fact the deep fried everything!!!

If you try the herbal teas look on the ingredients - anything with hibiscus in it gives it that bitter taste and then leaves your mouth feeling dry.

I treated myself to some goodies from whittards yesterday as it was payday.

I do get anxious in the shops - it was much worse before I took citalopram - i would feel as if i couldn't breathe and have the wave of panic rise up and just walk out.

I was partial to a gin & tonic or a pear cider before all this came on - but wouldn't take the risk on trying a drink.

Going out for something to eat with my fiance and wee girl now - not to keen on being in restaurants - sometimes i want to escape - but hey anything for some nice grub.

No wonder I can't lose weight!!!!
:):):)

Jannie2948
27-02-10, 19:07
Good for you, hope you have a good evening. Not heard of Whittards but I will look on line for them.

I lost a lot of weight when I first went on Citalopram but I now have my appetite back, but am being careful what I eat and as my son is staying with me at the moment and loves to cook and eats really healthily, he is really looking after me, its lovely, he does all the cooking, won't want him to leave!!

Have a good evening with your family

Jannie x x

JT69
28-02-10, 10:54
AJS....deep fried mars bar? Sound discusting have you tried one yet? Probably delicious. i drink alot of herbal teas too and I always start the day with a cup of green tea much to Martins discust! I find the herbal teas so calming. Apple and cammomile is my favourite.

Janine...I lost a stone and a half when starting citalopram but unfortunately when it got into my system I put it all back on again!! So hard. Now I have changed the meds to mirtazipine I have to be extra careful as putting on weight is one of the common side effects. Have not dared get weighed for over 2 weeks now am just trying to be careful and I do an hour a day on my treadmill. Late afternoons and evenings are the worst for me I just crave sweet stuff...so hard.

Jo.

AJS
28-02-10, 16:25
Hi All

Deep fried mars bars are OK - just as a one off - if you ate them every day I'm sure a heart attack wouldn't be long in coming!!! I have only tried a bit of one - some people love them!!! MOst chippies don't do them as they need a seperate frier for them.

Had a nice chineese meal last night - but took a beta blocker before just incase the msg made my heart race - felt a bit anxious but managed to get through (think it was me worrying).

Green tea is ok - wouldn't be my first choice - i have quiet a sweet tooth. is the spiced apple and chamomile tea you like JO? that is lovely. I am going to try a new tea tonight - amaretto explosion caffeine free fruit infusion (fruit and almond flavour) from whittards - yum yum.

Hope you are all having a nice relaxing Sunday :)

i had lost around a stone and a half aswell before cit and at the beginning - due to the anxiety/panic (couldn't eat at all was drinking complan and struggling even at that!) - but now i am getting better I am eating everything in sight.

JT69
28-02-10, 16:55
Hi AJS, Yes love the spiced apple and cammomile, the amaretto sounds delightful...will have to try some of that.

So feel for you bless you eating your chinese and worrying, some people just would not understand but I totally do. Such a shame when something you should enjoy makes you feel that way. Just not fair!!!

We had an Indian last night and I chanced a glass of red with it, I didnt even finish the wine as I was scared it would effect me. Today I woke up and was feeling a bit down...started to think "was it the win??" I think thats my mind just doing over-time and trying to blame something when perhaps I am going to feel like that some days. I have just had 4 good days...think I have been spoilt and that was a warning that it is still early days for me. Jo.xx

AJS
28-02-10, 21:08
Hey JO

The amaretto was not that nice at all - completely not as described on the label - and it smelled amazing - the taste was not good - give that one a miss.

I love the tazo calm tea from starbucks - i buy the boxes in starbucks - its chamomile, rose petal and soothing herbs - it helps relax me in work - and they come wrapped individually so i always keep some in my bag incase i am somewhere that doesn't have decaff.

I am such a scardey cat - I have completely avoided caffeine, alcohol, as much msg as possible and have not smoked since I had my first panic attack in october - at least i had something to make me stop smoking!!! But last night was the first time I had eaten chineese food and it was yummy but I had the constant niggling thought that i was going to have a panic attack and I kept trying to fight the thought by reminding myself that i can keep calm and i had taken a beta blocker!!! I'm sure my fiance must think i'm mad - people would not believe me if I told them the things that go through my head - at least on here I can be honest and be understood (although my fiance is very caring and understanding!)

I get the feeling that we all seem to have similar thinking patterns on here - i figure we are super intelligent and that's whats wrong with us - what do you think?

I've had a pretty anxious afternoon and evening as well - went shopping in morrisons while fiance and daughter were at church and thought i couldn't breathe - then just had that horrid knot in my tummy since - just starting to chill now - going to have an early night and listen to my meditation cd.

I hope you are ok and get a good nights sleep - tomorrow is a new day!
AJ :)

martbarr
28-02-10, 21:18
Hey JO

- we are super intelligent and that's whats wrong with us -

Yes yes yes !!!!!!!!
Someone who finally understands me !
LOL

martbarr
28-02-10, 21:19
.. people would not believe me if I told them the things that go through my head ..

You got it in one AJ - exactly how we all feel I reckon......

AJS
28-02-10, 21:28
Martin

I am trying to make myself believe that I have a superhuman brain LOL

- but honestly I do think that we are a certain "type" of thinker. maybe some would call it worrying but my in my brain anyway I think I just run through everything before it happens.

I have to laugh at myself sometimes. Even silly things like my partner said to me earlier - i'm just nipping down to the petrol station to get the paper and he was gone for half an hour - so I started to think - what if he's been in a car accident - or what if someone heard his accent and started a fight with him (he's irish and it was old firm day in glasgow today!) when he got back i said where have you been i thought something had happened to you - he said oh i ended up going to sainsburys instead and getting some biscuits etc - i told him what i was thinking and he just gave me a big hug and told me to stop worrying all the time about everything!!! how sweet.

I've just been a bit on edge all afternoon and this evening - think if things don't improve in the next few weeks i may go back to gp and ask her to increase my dose - then i maybe wouldn't have to take so many beta blockers.

Oh yeah just read the posts on your thread - you most certainly seem to have a fanclub now - bring on the martin barr printed t-shirts!!!!

martbarr
28-02-10, 22:26
Martin

I am trying to make myself believe that I have a superhuman brain LOL

- but honestly I do think that we are a certain "type" of thinker. maybe some would call it worrying but my in my brain anyway I think I just run through everything before it happens.

I have to laugh at myself sometimes. Even silly things like my partner said to me earlier - i'm just nipping down to the petrol station to get the paper and he was gone for half an hour - so I started to think - what if he's been in a car accident - or what if someone heard his accent and started a fight with him (he's irish and it was old firm day in glasgow today!) when he got back i said where have you been i thought something had happened to you - he said oh i ended up going to sainsburys instead and getting some biscuits etc - i told him what i was thinking and he just gave me a big hug and told me to stop worrying all the time about everything!!! how sweet.

I've just been a bit on edge all afternoon and this evening - think if things don't improve in the next few weeks i may go back to gp and ask her to increase my dose - then i maybe wouldn't have to take so many beta blockers.

Oh yeah just read the posts on your thread - you most certainly seem to have a fanclub now - bring on the martin barr printed t-shirts!!!!

You worry like me by the sound of it.
Sounds like your old man is one in a million.
(Sorry mr AJ - bet you're not as old as me - 55 now LOL)

Only a thought, but are you sure your anxiety isn't msg related?
I jave been reading about msg and food reactions.
Have you dared try a fast for a few days to see if you improve?
Only an idea........

Right back to printing these flipping t shirts..............
Done 5000 - will that be enough ?

AJS
28-02-10, 22:33
me give up food - you must be joking!!! ( as i shovel half of the toffee pecan taste the difference cookie in my big mouth!!!!)

No I don't think the anxiety is msg related - I tried cutting out as much msg as poss and still had anxiety/PA's - I do however believe that if I eat a lot of msg it gives me palpitations - my heart starts to race - the same as if i was to go back to drinking caffeine - I also get palpitations with certain cold remedies - beechams all in one is awful for it.

5000 - your pushing it a bit now are you not???

martbarr
03-03-10, 12:04
5000 - your pushing it a bit now are you not???

So - you saying I haven't got that many fans after all ?
What am I gonna do with 5000 t-shirts saying "Martin Rocks" ??