PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram side effects - specific

scorpionwhispers
13-02-10, 20:25
Hi everyone,

I didn't want to put the detail in the title in case anyone else read it and worried too much.

I am specifically worried about serious side effects including seizures. What are the chances?

Nausea and dizziness I could cope with. Problem is I have a young daughter and a full time job, I can't risk any serious side effects.

I have had lots of good advice from people in chat and on another thread so thank you all

I have been prescribed 10mg in case that is important. xx

kp77
13-02-10, 20:54
To be honest I've no idea of the odds. If you read the leaflet you'd think it was re-badged cyanide. However its the drug company covering themselves, what I'd term day to day over the counter pills can read in a similar way. If your concerned about it speak to your GP, I'm sure they can put your mind at ease.

I too was worried about taking it, took me a couple of weeks to do it, However it wasn't half as bad as expected, started on 10mg for 2 weeks., Had headache, off my food a bit, increased anxiety for a few days. Headaches went after about week and a half. Moved on to 20mg and no side effects since.

hopefulis
14-02-10, 09:21
Hi,

I don't think anyonw can tell you the specific % chance, but I believe that doctors wouldn't prescribe the drugs so readily or often if the chance was high at all.

I was prescribed 20 mg 6 months ago but only got the guts to take them 4 weeks ago because of worrying about side effects. My doctor gave me 10 mg pills and for the first couple of days I cut them in half to test the side effects out. I've gradually increased and am now up to 20 mg. The side effects I've had are increased tiredness and an increased appetite. They have certainly been bearable. After a fortnight I noticed an improvement in my mood and ability to cope and I don't dwell on my symptoms anymore, as a result the symptoms are slowly disappearing.

For me taking the tablets has been the best decision I've made since I've been sufferring.

Lisa x

Ps I've just re-read my advice note with my citalopram and mine doesn't mention seizures.

JT69
14-02-10, 12:10
Hi, I have taken this medication on and off for a number of years. The leaflet can sometimes scare the hell out of you as they have to put every eventuality. I think its good that you have been prescribed 10ml as this is a very low dose and your body can adjust to the medication slowly. Side effects I had were lack of appetite, tiredness and increased anxiety, all which disappear after 1-2 weeks when your body adjusts to the med. The important thing is that they will help you. If you are really worried seek assurance from your GP but you will find lots of others on this site that take this medication and have been absolutely fine. Good luck. Keep posting let us know how you get on. Jo.x

crissy
14-02-10, 12:26
hi scorpian,
Yes i too was worried by the side effects, i have been on 30mg for 3 months now beside the nasty taste in my mouth i have never felt better, much more able to cope, give the 10 mg a go, accept you may feel a little uncomfotable as your anxiety will be hightened with your worry for taking them, try to keep thinking, that they will help.
please keep in toch we are are here for you
love crissy xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

scorpionwhispers
14-02-10, 13:38
Thanks so much everyone, it's nice to hear from people who haven't had terrible side effects for a change!