PDA

View Full Version : Feeling pretty down

Juliamidlands
02-01-06, 21:33
Hey all, Happy New Year...

Need to get all this stuff out, so bear with me, feeling pretty low today, as I thought I was making progress [V]

As you probably all know, my problem lies with having panic attacks when driving at night. I had all of Christmas off work as holiday, which was great as I didnt have to worry about doing the route home from work for over a week. The day before I finished for Christmas, I went to the doctors, who prescribed Propanolol 40mgs. She advised me to give it a try one day over Christmas, while I was at home, so I could see how it made me feel, and how long before it had an effect, etc, so that by the time I was due to go back to work in the New Year (like, tomorrow), I would feel confident with taking it.

Unfortunately, I am so pathetic, that I've not got the guts to take it.

I mainly have a problem with driving myself, though sometimes I can also feel strange while I am in a passenger in a car at night.
Between xmas and new year, Dave and I went to stay with his relatives in a rural part of Wales. I was sure that I would freak out on the journey there (4 hours), but I was absolutely fine. Also, while we were there, we did a shorter journey to see some more of his relatives, who were deep in the countryside, it was 8pm and raining and he was driving. but even then I was absolutely fine. Great I thought ,maybe I am making progress!!

As it happens, I'm not making progress at all. We went out earlier tonight, and I was driving, and I thought hmm ok I'm dreading going back to work tomorrow so I think I will drive there and back (12 miles each way), to see how I go. It was BAD. I mean, pretty bad. Felt like all the 'progress' I made in Wales was all for nothing and now I am back to square one again :-(

The propanolol, however, remains UNOPENED in the box, as I am so worried about the side effects of taking it. I even called NHS direct earlier today for reassurance, the woman I spoke to was very helpful and said all the right things, but even so I am still worried. But I dont know what to do, I'm scared of taking the tablets but at the same time, I am dreading having to drive home from work tomorrow.

Thanks for reading, just really need some kind words/reassurance, or alternatively, someone to kick my butt into gear!

Julia x

'To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world'.

nomorepanic
02-01-06, 21:43
Julia

Well done on all you did in Wales - that was fantastic.

I am betting that you are now worried again because tomorrow is looming and you really want to be able to conquer it but it is there in the back of your mind that you may not be able to.

So the thoughts that make us get anxious have come to the forefront of your mind again and that has caused you to be more anxious when you went out tonight.

Try to focus on what you achieved over Xmas and how great that felt. You proved that you can do it and of course you are worried about tomorrow but try to remain positive and regain that confidence you had before and that great feeling once you did it.

I am wishing you all the luck in the world.

As for the Propanolo - I agree that you should take one when it is not important how you feel - i.e. at the weekend. I am sure you will be fine ok? Can you take half a one instead?

Nicola

DagoGirl
02-01-06, 22:25
Hi Julia,

Well I for one am very proud of you! You can do something that I couldnt even dream of right now! Good for you! As for the meds - I was VERY scared to take my lustral and to some degree im still getting used to the idea of taking it. So, I understand your fear! However, I have faith in you that you can take your meds and do just fine. If you feel more comfortable waiting for the weekend then by all means wait. As for your drive tomorrow to work - I THINK YOUR GONNA DO GREAT! I know you will be scared but I have a feeling that once you get there you are gonna be perfect. Some tips that work for me are counting backward from 100 in 3's or saying my alphabet backward. Sorry if it sounds silly but it does take my mind off feeling yucky! Good luck and if you want to PM me you can! Let us know how you did! Chrissy

nomorepanic
07-01-06, 21:40
Julia

Not heard back from you - how is it going?

Nicola