PDA

View Full Version : Wtihdrawal from citalopram and body zaps

JT69
14-02-10, 12:41
Hi, is there anyone who has experienced brain/body zaps through withdrawal of citalopram. My Gp tapered me down from 40ml to 0 in a week then started me on mirtazipine just over a week ago. Having been on citalopram in the past on and off and reduced dosages I am familiar with this zap feeling but i have always managed to cope with it as I have reduced slowly. This past week I have been suffering all day everyday with them and it is really getting to me now. I feel like they will never go and I'll never be normal again!!! Anyone else had this??? Jo.

joyce1980
14-02-10, 12:49
Yerp had them big time weaning off aropax and now at this very minute feeling them again as I have abruptly stopped zoloft and started aropax again.

2 months and all will be over, dont you worry there is no perm damage or anything, it's just your brain chemicals re-adapting and adjusting :D

It will go.

I also get really cranky, dizzy unbalanced and bloody hot too:weep: I have been running into door frames all day :roflmao:

JT69
14-02-10, 13:22
Hi Joyce, your reply was a breath of fresh air. I too keep dropping things and generally feel clumsy and heavy. When you say 2 months does it gradually fade of just go?? I am due back to work in March and cannot even leave the house at the moment it just feels to wierd. I am in full-time employment but am going back on a re-hab programme so starting prob 3 hrs a day and slowly building up. I know I have 3 weeks till then but if I am still this bad I know I wont even manage 3hrs> Thanks.

joyce1980
15-02-10, 06:17
It will slowly fade away, one day you will think hmmm no symptoms today:D

So have you got another type of med to ease your anxiety????
Cos coming off meds does cause anxiety symptoms for a while but again after a few months it will all ease.

All the best and glad I could help you:yesyes:

Sax
15-02-10, 07:16
:winks: Yes, this is totally what I experienced when I came off Citalopram finally in December but having gradually reduced over some months from 40mg, to 30mg to 20mg to 10mg to nil. the worst symptoms seemed to be between 20 to 10mg unsure why but my only advice is to really try to stick with it cos they do go!!!!! the 'fireworks exploding' in the head and body were the worst sympton for me and i often felt it showed that my body was jumpy and almost like i was not in control of my reactions.

It does go and when it does it didn't come back for me so thankfully i'm drug free but they aren't nice withdrawals. Good luck with it JT69 :bighug1:

JT69
15-02-10, 09:44
Thanks for your replies. I think I am suffering so bad due to the quick withdrawal. Joyce: My Gp has put me on mirtazapine that is why I had to withdraw so quickly as the citalopram had lost the effectiveness for me. I also have diazepam and propananol if i need them. Jo.

lauren6
15-02-10, 13:39
I had that coming off a different SSRI. Every time I moved my head, I felt like I was being electrocuted and heard a clanking sound. That was more depressing than the depression to begin with and I will never go on an antidepressant again. It solves nothing except short term and then you're back where you started, unless you are getting help from a good therapist or doing self-help at the same time. My zaps (referred to as "electrical shock syndrome" in the drug insert/pamphlet) started while I was actually on the drug but worsened when I went off. Three months later, I woke up and they were gone for good. I hope yours go away soon.

JT69
15-02-10, 16:50
Hi Lauren, thanks for reply...did they gradually disappear or did you have them continuosly for 3 months??? I have them all the time at the moment and its really getting me down, along with the side effects of the new meds...well you can imagine. I dont feel at all like me anymore and wonder if I ever will do. I have to take the new meds to help me so I can return to work and back to normality as without them i am just crippled with depression and anxiety. Jo.

JT69
15-02-10, 20:51
Hi Sax, can you remember how long you had them for...I have no choice but to stick with them..really hard though. Thanks for response, helps. Jo.

cassy1989
16-02-10, 10:08
Oh I really hope I don't have these withdrawal symptoms when I come off citalopram. I am on 40mg but was thinking about speaking to my doctor about coming off them because they don't seem to be helping as much as I thought they would.

JT69
16-02-10, 13:40
Hi Cassy, you might not have them. I am just one of the unlucky ones and it is because I had to come off the citalopram really quickly (40mg-0 in one week) in order to change meds. If you do come off them the slower you do it the less likely you will suffer side effects as in the past when I have come off them I have done it as slow as poss and not suffered. Please dont worry. JO.