PDA

View Full Version : Social Anx Question

louise0501
14-02-10, 17:13
Hey

I just wondered where you all thought social anx comes from and where it develops? as my family seem to think it's my fault and blame me a lot for it. is this true? is it my fault?

Please Reply

Love Louise XXXX

pinkpiglet
14-02-10, 17:39
I think it unfair of your family to lay the blame at your feet! By doing this they are suggesting that you can help how you feel, when in actual fact, you can not!!

Your anxiety will probably have developed from somewhere in your past and sometimes anxiety can be so deep rooted that it is hard to pin point exactly why or how it began.
This could be a major thing that as happened in your life or it could have developed from a number of smaller issues. Either way, pointing blame is not going to help anyone.

I think you should speak to your GP about CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) as this could help you open up to the triggers of your anxiety and therefore help you to work towards getting well.

Dont let your parents pull you down, but at the same time, understand that they may not know anything about anxiety and may be frustrated that they can not help you. Instead, work with them to try and help them understand how you feel.

Keep your chin up and be strong! x

JohnBliss
14-02-10, 18:01
I agree entirely with pinkpiglet. In my own case I know where my particular form of social anxiety comes from . It does originate from two
specific traumatic experiences and when faced with similar situations now
alarm bells ring and the panic is "triggered". I try to manage it as best I can but no way should you be made to feel bad about the way you are-tell those who criticise you to "walk in your shoes for a while and see how they feel "
Regards
John