PDA

View Full Version : Do most people have tinnitus?

MandySlade
14-02-10, 20:03
Just curious. I read somewhere that everybody has some level of tinnitus (ringing in the ears). When you plug your ears, what -exactly- do you hear? Is it really "nothing" or do you hear any sounds? I always have a faint "electrical" sound.. maybe a slight whistle.. but lately it seems like I hear it more in my left ear. Sometimes even without plugging my ears. If I sit in a quiet room and focus on it I can really hear it. Or sometimes at night when my ear is against the pillow. It causes me to have anxiety.

What do you hear?

Lissy43
14-02-10, 20:06
I do, have had for years, and this weekend it suddenly hits where you get a sudden vibration and high pitched squeek in the ears, jumps sides.

I get it when stressed out too, had a busy weekend so I know it's been down to that, but yes I always have some kind of ringing in my ears.

Sweetpea6
14-02-10, 20:19
I always find it unhelpful when people describe tinnitus as a 'ringing' in the ears, as this makes it sound like a bell-type noise (although maybe some people do actually hear that?) For me, it's a high-pitched, sustained 'tone'- almost like the humming of a computer in sound quality, expect much higher. It's quite a 'thin' sound. It comes and goes, but it is quite natural I think to some degree.

NeverRelaxed
14-02-10, 20:19
I have it almost all of the time.

I have it pretty bad now and I have other symptoms that could be related to the tinnitus such as dizzy/lightheaded, brain fog etc...I just attribute it to the anxiety.

melvin
14-02-10, 20:49
i have this like electrical sound like it drives me up the wall i have it in the day as well im glad someone else has it as well im waiting for app from ent

looking4answers
15-02-10, 04:47
Have you ever heard the saying " the silence was deafening" I have experienced this to the point I couldn't even hear at all.I walked into an empty house one time that was really insulated and there was a roar that made me want to get out quickly..It was the silence.. I have had a ringing off and on in my ears for over 30 years .I have heard just about every type of sound you can hear.. even my pulse most of my time.. Anyway its nothing serious Im sure.. If you are worried see your doctor.. Good luck to you .. hope you feel better.. Michael

BKF1515
16-02-10, 10:28
I have just started noticing ringing in both my ears. Mainly at night but also if I am more quiet during the day (e.g. sitting at the computer), I start to hear it. It is driving me crazy and fueling my H/A. Just when I think one ear is definitely worse than the other, the other ear acts up and get worse. Yesterday I started noticing that I also have a sort of clicking sound that comes up sometimes in my left ear. Help! It's making me feel crazy and I feel like I think about it way too often - also wonder if everyone else around me must be experienceing some level of this too? In this respect, it was very good to read this thread although I could use some more reassurance. Have anyone been through a phase of being really focussed on their tinnitus and then forgotten all about it for awhile?? Would love to know....

NeverRelaxed
16-02-10, 10:38
I can easily ignore mine..Im so used to it. At first it is the most wretchedly annoying thing...after a couple of weeks you just adapt to it...

BKF1515
16-02-10, 12:08
But what I am afraid of is that over the years (I am 37), if it is bad now, it will only get worse. Or does it stay at the same level?

cherrychick
16-02-10, 12:24
any questions on tinnitus - just ask - I'm a trained Audiologist and come across patients with tinnitus on a daily basis...there are many things that can cause tinnitus and there are also things that you can do to help....:hugs:

meg86
16-02-10, 12:59
I had this conversation with my boyfriend last week :) my mind is all over the place at the moment with trying not to worry and i am hyper sensitive to everything, when i get like this my eyes go all funny and i can see shapes and blobs and fuzziness and i feel like my ears are ringing but i am really sensitive to it and sort of looking out for it if that makes sense?

My OH said that if he listened out for it he can hear a faint ringing i think most people can to a certain degree, when i am busy doing things i dont notice it but at night its the worst and i only hear it when i think about it if that makes sense?

Im trying to ignore it because like my eyes im sure that i am being over sensitive at the moment and soon i wont notice it. I think it might be the same for you Mandyslade :) xx

ally b
16-02-10, 16:49
Hi, i got this 2 for about a month,it drove me crazY.Each morning i woke an that was the first thing i thought about,damm ringing (more like a static buzz). It got 2 me that much i slapped my ear so hard it made it a million times worse.Well that was last month,this month itchy,prickly,hot,cold pins an needles type feeling on most parts ov my body.This also is feally getting on my nerves.When will all this end.:unsure:

laurabee
16-02-10, 23:40
I have a 'wobbly' tone in my right ear which I notice at night when it's quiet although it's there all the time. I am being treated with steroid drops for a problem with my Eustachian Tube - but will the ringing go away?

scaredycat26
22-02-10, 11:21
I just developed the ringing in my ear today and it hasn't gone....I have bad HA so i'm fixating on the noise in my ears/head...I havent' had any earaches/infections not been exposed to loud noises just a lot of anxiety!

I have been up all night can't sleep and its driving me crazy! do you think it will get better?

scaredycat26
22-02-10, 11:22
Sorry to add a bit more...but i think its in both ears and maybe head too...can Tinnitus just develop like that with no other cause just anxiety?

joyce1980
22-02-10, 11:39
I always find it unhelpful when people describe tinnitus as a 'ringing' in the ears, as this makes it sound like a bell-type noise (although maybe some people do actually hear that?) For me, it's a high-pitched, sustained 'tone'- almost like the humming of a computer in sound quality, expect much higher. It's quite a 'thin' sound. It comes and goes, but it is quite natural I think to some degree.

YEAH! That's how it sounds for me too, I use to think it was normal as if the quiet should sound that way lol ... I was 12 at the time hehehe

I have always had it and can only hear it in the still of the night or a quiet room :)

meg86
22-02-10, 12:31
I know how you feel scaredy cat :( mine has just come on to! i read that everyone has noises in their ears but some people especially with anxiety tune into the noise, remember that anxiety increases every response including your ears.

Its driving me mad!! but even more so if i focus and get upset about it! even when watching tv i can hear it if im constantly thinking about it! but when i get engrossed in something for example, yesterday i went to my sisters and we watched a film etc and i didnt think about it and didnt really notice it! and then a radar came in saying your ears arnt ringing and then sure enough i could hear it again.

I was telling my mum about it this morning and she said her boyfriend gets it really bad every morning but it doesnt bother him! i guess we just need to accept it, try and think about other things and hopefully tune ourselves out :S. xx

applewine
15-05-15, 22:26
I have tinnitus. It started when the pain spread from my neck to my jaw and face. I also get face numbness now too. I have a lot of strange neuropathies as well that feel like burning sensations, stinging and water sensations. It is an organic cause, it is not anxiety. Many people end up on these forums though. I suggest the state prepare a nano-trap antigen test for infectious diseases, particularly tick borne disease panel. It will only cost a few million dollars, but there is no interest.

Emilym80
16-05-15, 04:34
Everyone experiences tinnitus in a really quiet environment- apparently it's air bouncing off your ear drums, or something. My dad explained to me but I can't remember what he said :shrug:

Anyway, I've had tinnitus since I was a kid. It gets worse at certain times but this is temporary. I think people generally learn to ignore it out, as I have.

Best wishes :)

TomsThoughts
26-11-15, 10:05
I also experience a static kinda sound In a quiet environment it's not nice but it's just another symptom of anxiety/being hypersensitive. It Sucks but I sleep with the TV on at night with chilled out music on :)

Also googling about tinnitus isn't going to help which is what I found out and probably many others. But i guess that's were the good side of foggy brain comes in! Be positive