PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes afraid to exercise??

Meewah
14-02-10, 22:47
Sometimes I feel like I am about to have a heart attack. I feel tense in the chest area. I feel lightheaded. I really want to exercise but the fear of Heart attacks keeps me from exercising regular. I used to love running but now I am so afraid of raising my pulse I feel it is a dream away. I want to get in to shape but yet this dreaded anxiety feels like it is making me unhealthy and tired and afraid to exercise. What do I do??? If I carry on like this the irony is I will get more unhealthy and more chance of actually having a heart attack.

HELP ME!!

Mee

puppyskin
14-02-10, 22:51
i feel the same,heart phobia,i attempted to have a stroll today but was aware of my breathing too much feeling tight and breathless,it sucks.

mummy4
14-02-10, 22:53
i can really relate to this

i worry about getting fit because i feel light headed at the best of times let alone if im exercising!! i dread to think what would happen to me!!

i have just started weight watchers and i know any kind of exercise would be very beneficial but im just too frightened even if its a brisk walk :(

just wanted to let you know you are not alone x

Meewah
14-02-10, 22:56
I feel it now. I went or a walk today with the kids. I feel like I will have a clot any time now.

My Dad had a small Heart attack at 65 then died of dementure at 72. Now I feel like I am going to have a HA too. I need to get fit and healthy but I cant take the brakes off.

Mee

puppyskin
14-02-10, 22:59
how sad is this,i bought asprins today.

missworry
14-02-10, 23:02
I know its an awful feeling tomorrow will be my 3rd excercise class, i decided to go with a friend so i couldnt back out, and after the 1st class was so relieved nothing had happened to me, i no its easier said then done believe me i know how you feel, i felt if i excercise i will start something off by jumping about but can honestly say the excersise does make you feel better after, hope you can overcome this xx

lepus
15-02-10, 02:21
I'm struggling with this problem as well. I'm desperately trying to get back in shape but so often I have panic attacks on the treadmill. Just last Thursday I had a horrible panic attack. I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. I'm slowly getting back on the treadmill knowing I can't let that one event scare me into not exercising but it is so hard. Even when I try to do something good for myself it seems to be sullied by panic attacks.

Has anyone ever found a way of overcoming this exercise fear? I'm thinking about doing deep relaxation before I exercise and seeing if it helps. Perhaps I could take an extra bit of a sedative as well just until I feel more comfortable walking.

If anyone has any suggestions on conquering this I would love to hear them. And for my fellow suffers, my heart goes out to you. I understand how difficult it is.

looking4answers
15-02-10, 05:46
I have the same issues and have to just push ahead and hopefully ignore the heart rate..They say that exercise and getting your heart rate up and blood pressure is the best thing for heart trouble and high blood pressure.. But then again who really knows.. hope you feel better,try not to worry and take care.. Michael

ZoJo
15-02-10, 08:50
Hi Mee,

I'm so pleased you posted this thread. I have exactly the same feelings about exercise and I adore running as it keeps me fit and seems to be the only thing that helps with my back problem.
I am anxious before I run, then while i'm running I have moments of feeling brilliant to feelings of anxiety, but 99% of the time I feel alive. Its the afterwards that gets me more.....I spend the rest of the day anxious and waiting to drop down dead!
Puppyskin - you are not alone in buying asprin!!

lucyeast
15-02-10, 10:57
i feel this too so worried about having a heart attack or my lungs collapsing i know it sounds silly but i really fear this ive got so much to live for but feel like im always dying.
your not alone and i hope we can all beat this soon

margaret jones
15-02-10, 11:03
Add me to the list please i really want to get fitter but the fear factor is so g8 i am finding it so difficult helpppppppppppppp any advice xxx Maggie

Trying
15-02-10, 19:58
I haven't exercised properly for about 2 years due to ridiculous fear of dropping dead. Anything that makes me slightly out of breath freaks me out. It is a very sorry state of affairs, making myself so much more unhealthy, bulding up to it never does any good as I always stop myself going that bit further. One day I hope I can just do it. I walk and do the usual having children realated stuff but that's it .