PDA

View Full Version : Cognitive Behaviour Therapy

snowbird
15-02-10, 03:32
Hello,

I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety. In addition to some medication I have started, my doctor recommended cognitive behaviour therapy. Does anyone use this? I do like the fact that it teaches me to recognize negative self talk and to change it to a truthful positive statement. I think it's going to be a long process but very positive.

Pixie_girl
15-02-10, 09:36
My doctor also suggested that to me and it is something I am thinking about so I too would be interested in people's experiences with it.

lisa12
15-02-10, 09:47
hi i have done cbt via computer through a mentalhealth group . this did not work for me but i am now doin cbt 1 to 1 with a counciler which although i am at the begining of my sessions seems alot better than the computer 1..........on your 1st appointment they will give u a sheet to take away, every time you have an anxious moment u have to write it down and put wat u were doin ,how u felt rate ur anxiety on a score and the most important wat your thoughts were at the time.then when u go back they will look and try give u coping skills and to try change the way u thought at the time. gl with it

snowbird
15-02-10, 15:58
Hi Lisa

I am very interested in what you mentioned about writing down how I feel at the moment and after and then learning coping skills. I have an appointment with a therapist tomorrow and will ask her about doing this. Thank you!

DarrenG
16-02-10, 15:36
I tried CBT about 4 years ago and it didn't work for me. Everyone is different and therefore methods to help you will be different from anyone else.

It's a lot of trial and error but the trick is to recognise when something is not working for you and move on.

Have you tried NLP?

I have lots of friends who i have recommended this kind of self treatment to and it seems to have a high success rate.:D