PDA

View Full Version : can anxiety cause a dry cough

wotcanisay
15-02-10, 15:09
hello all
i just got over a cold, but all i keep thinking about is my coughing, and that's all am doing coughing. there a tickly feeling in my throat.

i can't tell if am coughing as i need to or if i just coughing for the sake of it.

please if you can help it doing my head in i feel like am going to cry

barbn
15-02-10, 15:40
HI!! First, anxiety can cause just about anything - even at times make things worst. What you are more than likely experiencing is totally normal after a cold...I am guessing that you still have a little bit of a sinus drip down the back fo your throat. Somethis that would make that "tickly" feeling at times and cause you to cough. I bet after a week or two it will go away on its own. BUT, thinking about it (or obsessing about anything for that matter) can seem to make things worse. Just know that this happens to millions of other people and I wouldn't worry too much about it! Now if it continues on for weeks and weeks then for sure go get it checked out. Not becuase there could be something terribel wrong but becuase who would want to spend their life coughing all the time...I sure wouldn't, I want the Dr to give me somethign for it!! ;-)

jojo2316
15-02-10, 17:37
yues, it can! i've had just the same thing!

Starscream
15-02-10, 18:07
Can anxiety actually give you a cough.............?!??!!

wotcanisay
15-02-10, 19:28
hey all for your reply's.
thank you for reply's.

it just a odd thing,just like something in my throat that tickling most of the time's i don't even need to cough and even if i do cough it don't go

scares me a bit but doctor tell me not to worry

mikhail1028
15-02-10, 20:17
Anxiety can do as much as anything and mind you the mind can be as powerful it can be,,,

well see this one,,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8505998.stm

wotcanisay
15-02-10, 21:42
well put barbn, mikhail1028

hiya jojo
you get the samething tickly dry feeling in your throat?
any one else?

mikhail1028
15-02-10, 22:54
well put barbn, mikhail1028

hiya jojo
you get the samething tickly dry feeling in your throat?
any one else?

I had this i was well,, started to PANIC dry cough sore throat, even checked for swollen glands im more convinced that anxiety has alot of tricks on its sleeve

wotcanisay
15-02-10, 23:18
yea i just got over a cold and i had this feeling. at 1st i thought it was me having a dry cough, witch cause my throat to be tickly.
but its the other way round, my cough just sound's like a every day cough(now am better)
and it tickly feeling thats making me cough, as i think i need to cough to clear my throat witch in fact it don't do

sorry if none of that making much sense

mikhail1028
15-02-10, 23:21
yea i just got over a cold and i had this feeling. at 1st i thought it was me having a dry cough, witch cause my throat to be tickly.
but its the other way round, my cough just sound's like a every day cough(now am better)
and it tickly feeling thats making me cough, as i think i need to cough to clear my throat witch in fact it don't do

sorry if none of that making much sense

I havd allergic rhinitis and sinusitis for years i do get coughed and colds alot when my allergy is alleviated and colds/coughs are implications of numerous things aside from most feared illness

we just need to rationalize and think,, divert our attentions and to channel our fears in a straight manner

wotcanisay
15-02-10, 23:43
yea thats true anxiety just makes you think the worst. i still got a runny nose now witch may not be helping with the tickly feeling in my throat but i use some vapour rub tonight throat feels much better
and the more you carry on coughing the worst it will sound

wotcanisay
16-02-10, 09:49
how can i tell my head all i got is a simple cough and in clear in time

i feel so low right now :( sorry guy's for the self pity

mel1972
13-03-10, 09:30
:weep: I am suffering with this a dry tickly throat and cough which started out of the blue yesterday afternoon, i had a cold about a month ago so dont think it's associated, but i have been coughing so much my chest and back hurt, not coughing up phelm but feel as if there is something there and of course being of not sound mind you can imagine what is running through my head. I am going to die! Ridiculous when i type it but always think the worse!
On Sertraline 100mg a day and worried what to take with it.
I just want to be rational again!
Sorry to harp on.

wotcanisay
13-03-10, 10:24
dont be sorry mel were all in the same boat

keen
22-03-13, 02:50
can u explain to me coz everything is normal but i still have chest pain
itz like someone stabbing it n gaves me short in breath i feel nervous...i am nervous person can someone explain it to me plz...im alwayz thinking that i have a lung cancer or heart disease but itz all normal...but when i think about kind of stuff
it makes me worse like i cant breath but if im in the ER i feel ok...all my test are ok...thats the only thing i dont understand...when i think that kind of stuff it makes me worse...can someone explain to me plz plz plz plz...

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

can u explain to me coz everything is normal but i still have chest pain
itz like someone stabbing it n gaves me short in breath i feel nervous...i am nervous person can someone explain it to me plz...im alwayz thinking that i have a lung cancer or heart disease but itz all normal...but when i think about kind of stuff
it makes me worse like i cant breath but if im in the ER i feel ok...all my test are ok...thats the only thing i dont understand...when i think that kind of stuff it makes me worse...can someone explain to me plz plz plz plz...

Tessar
22-03-13, 09:08
For me, if I am nervous about something then i always get a dry throat. Often if there is stress lasting a few days, i end up giving myself a sore throat Purely through worry.
Years ago the first time I gave blood, it got so bad I was convinced I couldn't go as I must have been coming down with a cold. By the evening I was due to donate, I'd worried about it so much I kept clearing my throat and made it sore in so doing.
I learned alot from that day as afterwards I felt thoroughly exhausted but not from giving away my blood, it was the sheer apprehension and nerves that wore me out. In the end, the physical aspect of donating was nothing. I'd spent a week getting really nervous and worrying that all sorts of things would happen (which I would add .... Did not happen and neither have I ever felt remotely unwell after doing 16 more donations).
I find if I am tired, worried about something, stressed etc....the first thing to affect me is always a dry throat which then becomes sore. For me it is almost entirely self-inflicted by the worry. I have used skills I learned in CBT and therapy to change my focus away from the things worrying me. It has worked well. Of course it doesn't always work but the difference has been amazing. It is possible to alter your mindset but it does take practice.
Naturally I still have peaks of stress caused by the normal stuff that goes on in life but I know the warning signs now when I am getting over tired. When that happens instead of ploughing on regardless, I do try to be kind to myself and remind myself I am after all only human. I do my best to put the things I learned into practice and most of the time they are extremely beneficial.

BAR
18-08-15, 20:23
Hello all, I'm a 29 yrs old single male, I'm having this panic/anxiety/excitement related cough from the past 10 yrs. I have visited a lot of doctors, had a lot of tests (nothing came though that could have made me serious). I was having a trouble of sinus about 10 yrs ago and had to get it removed by an operation. Before that, my nose kept on dripping for like all the seasons in a year. But still, whenever I consults the doctors they simply say that you have an allergy. Now that doesn't makes any sense throughout, since it always happens either when I'm worried or excited it some times even occurs during a scintillating situation while even watching a movie. Guys please help me out here, I don't even have any kind of addiction, never even smoked my entire life. Please help me

Eltwins
28-10-15, 19:12
My anxiety is bad at the moment. I have a whole host of symptoms but the weird one is a "cough". I say it like that because it's not a proper cough. Just sometimes as I breath it's as if my breath catches, it makes my stomach tense and contract and then I have to cough. Never anything comes up, just dry but don't feel dryness in my throat. Hope I've explained it well but it is weird.

Has anyone had similar?

dale12345
15-06-16, 02:47
I notice my anxiety causes a lot of small things to seem huge.