PDA

View Full Version : Same Finger Turned White 2X

BKF1515
15-02-10, 17:34
I had been doing pretty well when something out of the blue has started making me feel really anxious. The middle finger on my left hand went completely white, cold and numb one day last week. When the circulation didn't return immediately, I ran it under hot water and it finally turned a purple-pink and then went back to normal. I live in a cold climate but I was inside. Why would that only happen in one finger? Then today the same thing happened to the same finger. Only this time I was outside in the cold driving. When the finger turned white I kept it in front of one of the heaters and kept sucking on it, and then finally it started to come back to life. Has anyone ever experienced this, and if so, is it a sign of something dangerous?? Why would it only happen to one of my fingers and not all??

Chrissie21
15-02-10, 18:57
I have had this many times, in my case it has always been because my hands were cold. As with you it was in one finger, sometimes two.

I find that my hands and feet get very cold even when I am indoors. The solution for me was the same as you, to do something to get my circulation going again. I dont think you have anything to worry about. :)

just to re iterate the effect of cold weather on your hands - The other day I was out walking the dog and decided to try and make a phone call on my mobile.. my hand was TOTALLY Numb and pale i could press the buttons at all. I panicked and ran home, and also put my hand under warm water..within about 5 mins the sensation passed. Therefore if it goes away when we warm up, we can only assume that it was caused by the cold...
X

BKF1515
15-02-10, 19:42
Chrissie, Thanks a lot for your response. You put my mind a little at ease. I know my fear isn't on the level of cancer or heart disease, but I am still really worried that there is something wrong with my circulation if the same finger has turned white 2X. I made the mistake of Googling and saw Raynaud's Disease.... I still think there must be a scary explanation for it....

Kirst24
15-02-10, 20:23
Something similar happened to me except that my whole left arm was red compared to right, I happened to be in hosp when it happened because I was in not feeling well...don't worry nothing serious. Anyway, I asked the doc why this happened and he just smiled and said he didn't know, that strange things happen when you are anxious and your circulation goes crazy. This reassured me so much. He did not seem concerned in the slightest and I guess what he was trying to say was that sometimes things just happen and there is no explanation for it. I find this VERY hard, being a health anxiety sufferer...yet sometimes it does help just to think well it isn't harming me so it can't be anything serious. Hope that all made sense.

xx

BKF1515
16-02-10, 10:40
Yes, I guess I have to start believing that H/A would cause me to lose circulation in one finger, although it seems so weird and happened seemingly out of the blue.... I just wish I could have straight explanations for so many things that happen to me - that's what fuels the anxiety - is not knowing....