PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol?

frightenedbutterfly
15-02-10, 23:08
Ok, so I'll try to cut a long story short... Basically, I went out with my boyfriend and his friends. Had a fair bit to drink but not an extreme amount. At no point did I feel drunk to the point where I couldn't stand kinda thing, just more relaxed and able to enjoy being sociable and dare I say normal?

Anyway, out of nowhere I got an extreme bout of panic, ended up unconcious in the middle of a club and ended up in hospital because my behaviour was so bizarre. Apparently I was talking complete nonsense, couldn't stay still and was begging for death. I have no memory of this.

Has anyone else has a similar reaction on this med? I'm on an emergency referral to the CMHT and under sedation until I get seen. I'm so frightened.

JulieM
16-02-10, 00:11
Sertraline definatly increases the effects of alcohol, my eldest daughter is on it after loosing a baby, and over Christmas went out with us for a family meal where she drank 2 large glasses of wine, but to see the state of her afterwards and hear the stuff that was comming out of her mouth was both embarassing and out of order for all concerned. she didnt collapse, but acted as though she had drank at least a couple of bottles full, and lost all her inibitions regards decency and shouting things out regarding complete strangers and explicit details of her sex life.

We managed to get her into the car and take her home before she landed herself into further trouble, but her partner said she was up and down pacing the bedroom all night and when she did settle for a few mins she was having nightmares whch woke her and started her pacing again.

There are alot of tablets and medications where alcohol is best avoided and this is certainly one of them, although if used as directed its a really good treatment for depression. Normally my daughter is fine on them and is slowly picking up the pieces from what happened when she lost her baby boy.

Julie

frightenedbutterfly
16-02-10, 10:47
Hi Julie,

Thank you for your reply. I'm so sorry about your daughters - and your - loss!!

It is very comforting to know that I'm not the only one that has had this sort of reaction.

Thanks again! :) x

Carolyne
19-02-10, 15:22
Hi! I'm new to the forum--and hope I can get back here now that I've found it. The only side effect I've noticed with any alcohol consumption on Zoloft is a total inability to feel any effects of the alcohol. That would be fine, except there's a high incidence of alcoholism in both sides of my family, so I steer a wide path around the booze already. I started taking Zoloft when the Lexapro I was prescribed seemed to have run it's usefulness. After a serious bout with what I guess was "Terminal Velocity Depression", I was taken off Lexapro, put of Zoloft and I plan to hang with that until I fall off the perch for the last time. I don't EVER want to feel that lost again. Between that, talk therapy, and a serious re-evaluation of my idea of what I thought made me happy, I'm doing better.