PDA

View Full Version : does anyone suffer at night???

babs26
08-02-04, 18:21
Hi,

Im Babs and am 26 years old, have a lovely family and husband but have suffered from panic attacks for about 4 years. I know the trigger was a long time ago when I was in a violent relationship with my eldest daughters father. I tend to suffer from panic attacks at night, I wake up and my heart is racing and pounding so hard it nearly jumps out my chest, I cant breathe, feel shaky and sweaty and when It passes I feel so drained and totally exhausted the next day. It got to the point when I was scared to go to bed as I was frightened I would wake up with a panic attack.:(

I have had ecgs done as I was really convinced there was something wrong with my heart, which came back clear. I managed to get this fear of going to bed under control as I started to take sertraline and also Diazepam when I was having a panic attack which helped a lot. The past couple of nights thought I have had panic attacks and can feel the same fear of going to bed creeping in again and I dont want it to be like before. I was wondering if anyone else suffered from them at night and if they could give me any advice firstly as to how to prevent them and secondly how to deal with them without waking my poor hubby up as he has to work the next day. I have tried all the breathing stuff and if anything it seems to make me worse.

I would appreciate any help and advice!!! [?]

benoo5
08-02-04, 18:45
hi babs,and welcome,

if you go to the bottom of this page,on the left hand side,it will tell you there are 15 pages...so click on page 5,and you will see a post entitled <night panic>, by sarap ,and you can see she got 64 replies...so,no your not alone with this.

have you tried...bach rescue remedy...a few drops in a glass of water,a few sips before bed,and some more,when you wake up in the night,it just takes the edge of anxiety,but is harmless to take.

best wishes..bryan.

nomorepanic
08-02-04, 18:46
Hi Babs

You are not alone in the panic at night. It has been covered a lot on here so if you get some time then read the following posts to reassure you that you are not the only one.

Happy reading! [:p]

Night panic (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=369)

Night Panics (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=241)

trouble sleeping (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=101)

Sudden nighttime attacks (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24)

Nicola

babs26
08-02-04, 19:09
thanks guys...that made me feel a lot better,
is rescue remedy ok to take with sertraline and diazepam?

florence
08-02-04, 19:20
Hi Babs
Just want to let you know that these panic attacks you have at night is something that I have too.I know how difficult it is to live with these terrible symptoms but they can be overcame.Rescue remedy is ok to take with any medication as they dont interact.I hope this reassure you a bit more. Take care.
Florence

nomorepanic
08-02-04, 19:26
Babs

Rescue Remedy is quite safe as it is natural. I am writing a page about Natural Remedies at the moment. Let me paste some info in here for you.
Bach Flowers
The Bach Flower Essences is a system of 38 Flower Essences that corrects emotional imbalances: negative emotions are replaced with positive.

The Bach Flower Essences are 100% safe and natural and work in conjunction with herbs, homeopathy and medications. They are safe for everyone, including children, pregnant women, pets, elderly and even plants.

There are 38 essences and a good description of them all can be found at: http://www.bachflower.com/38_Essences.htm
The four most common remedies for Panic/Anxiety are as follows:
Rock Rose is the remedy against terror, and as such is an important ingredient in Rescue Remedy.
Aspen is the remedy for unfounded fears.
Cherry plum is the remedy for fear of losing your mind.
Rescue Remedy is the most famous of the remedies, but in fact is not a remedy at all, but rather a mix of five different remedies (Cherry Plum, Clematis, Impatiens, Rock Rose and Star of Bethlehem) which together help deal with any emergency or stressful event. Taking a driving test, exam nerves, speaking in public, after an accident or an argument - there are countless uses for Rescue Remedy.
In times of extreme stress use 4 drops neat straight onto your tongue as often as needed. For challenging days add 8- 12 drops to a bottle of mineral water and sip liberally all day - i.e. perhaps when driving.
If you want to make up you own mixture you can do so, using up to 7 essences in a mixture.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Check out this link for all the answers: http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/faq.htm

Where to buy?
In the UK these remedies are available at most health care shops including Lloyds, Boots, Holland & Barrett, Tesco etc.
In the USA check out http://www.bachflower.com

If you go to the following site, you can enter details of where you live and you will get a list of retailers selling Bach Flowers: http://www.bachessences.com
Other Links

www.bachcentre.com

Nicola

diana
08-02-04, 20:22
Hiya Babs,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents!!!!!!!! LOL......... :) I too suffer with night panic. It is hard to change the thought paterns that cause us from wanting the evening to set in because that means bed time which = PA`s. The feelings you are having are the same as many of us on here. You just gotta "TRY" to keep telling yourself that the feelings are just anxiety/panic and they will pass. Though sometimes that is easier than other times, but we just gotta keep trying. It gets easier the more good or atleast bearable nights you have. Good you have found this forum, the folks here have tons of advice and suggestions. It has been a life saver for me. Try to remember the feelings are only anxiety/panic and go from there. We all have our bad days or nights so don`t be to hard on yourself if everynight is`nt a good night. Just put that night behind you and keep on going. It does get better, I hope this helps a bit.

Take care,

Dianaxxxxx

diana
08-02-04, 20:26
Hiya Nic,

I just had a quick question for ya. Is the Bach Rescue something you can use daily or just in emergencies? I mean to help with daily "NEGATIVE" thoughts or emotions? Or would you suggest something else for daily use? For daily highs and lows.

Thanks,

Diana xxxx

nomorepanic
08-02-04, 20:34
Diana

I only use it when I feel I need to and not as a daily routine - but that is a very good question. Let me just look into it ok?

Nicola

nomorepanic
08-02-04, 20:39
It seems that you can take them all the time but here are some q's:

When does one stop taking the remedies?
When the problem that is being treated has gone. There is no need to continue taking them in case it comes back and of course no need to wean oneself off the remedies gradually, as you have to do with some conventional drugs like steroids and beta-blockers. Nor do you need to take a complete course of doses over a specific number of days, as you do with antibiotics.

If things get worse once you start taking a the remedies, should you stop taking them or continue?
The Bach Flower Remedies do not cause side-effects or aggravations, but it may be that the remedies are stirring up repressed feelings that need to be cleansed before complete healing can be achieved. If you feel this is the case then you can look to see if there is a need for any other remedies instead of or as well as the ones you are currently taking.

Where things are getting worse in spite of the remedies this may mean one of two things. Either the remedies have not yet had time to work (two or more months or even years of regular dosage may be needed to deal with deep-rooted problems) or the selection was wrong.

In any case, the remedies will not themselves cause any symptoms or problems that are not already in you and are entirely beneficient in their effects. This means that there is no need to stop taking the remedies, and even if the wrong ones are being taken this only means that they will not improve things - they will never make them worse.

Nicola

Meg
08-02-04, 21:40
Hi,

Rescue really isn't the one of choice for negative thoughts etc, it's really for trauma , sudden fear or shock.

Check out the www that Nic posted for the essence that deals with that.

Mustard is good for depression and white chestnut for needing positivity but do check it out, they al have their individual uses .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
09-02-04, 17:36
Thanks for the info. Nic and Meg. I will certainly do some research to find out what might best work for me. Are there any particular websites you could refer me to, to check on the Mustard and White Chestnut (to get information)? I will be keeping the Bach Rescue handy for emergencies though. Thanks again.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

benoo5
09-02-04, 18:02
hi diana,hope your well,

the site you want is www.bachcentre.com

best wishes..bryan.

babs26
09-02-04, 18:21
Hi all..thanks for the advice...tried rescue remedy last night and I didn thave a panic attack when I woke up to feed my son so I hope it helped.
I have had a bit of a rough day today so am kind of wound up and stressed and guess what....dreading going to bed!!

nomorepanic
09-02-04, 21:21
Babs

If you didn't have a panic attack then that is good news. Maybe you could try it again tonight then as well?

Just remember that it isn't a drug as such so it cannot harm you ok?

Nicola

diana
10-02-04, 03:49
Babs,

Good for you, not having a PA today :). I do hope things go as well for you this evening. Do post tomorrow to let us know how your evening was. Thank you Bryan, actually I am okay just trying to find some herbs and supplements to help me through some hectic days. LOL......... :) I will check the website you posted. Thanks again.

Take care all,

Diana xxxx

babs26
10-02-04, 15:39
Well, I didnt have a panic attack last night but have had a terrible day today, am stressed, wound up and have had 3 panic attacks since this morning. I cant stop shaking and crying and I think my kids think I have gone totally mad. It seems as if the kids have done their best to be as naughty as they can be and I just havent coped well at all, I even rang my health visitor and told her how bad I am feeling and she is coming to see me tommorow.

I dont think I am cut out to be a mum at all, I just cant cope with normal everyday life, I get so jealous of the other mums as they seem to cope with everything so well and dont look at all stressed at the school, not like me. I think the way I am going I will drop dead of a heart attack before I am 30.

Lottie32
10-02-04, 15:52
Babs

Well done for taking action and ringing the health visitor. I don't think many of us would cope with what you have to. I can only visit friends if they have well behaved children, and I am terrible if they are poorly and crying and distressed. Once I have checked that they are not too hot/cold, hungry, damp, thirsty, tired or need winding, my patience goes right out the window.

Are you taking any medication for your panic attacks - beta blockers for example?

When your hubby gets home, throw (but not literally) the kids at him, lock yourself in the bathroom or bedroom and just have an hour on your own to wind down.

Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully the health visitor will be able to make some suggestions and maybe find you some help so you can "escape" for a few hours each week.

Try not to be envious of the other mothers. Just because they look ok on the outside, doesn't mean they aren't finding it hard on the inside. It's amazing what two inches of slap can do! I have been feeling truly terrible, but have managed to disguise it with large quantities of Rimmel! Outside I look fine, but inside, I'm not coping.

Please do not be too hard on yourself. Four kids in nearly as many years is a lot, and you do very well to cope.

Take care

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

diana
10-02-04, 16:28
Babs,

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time right now, but remember this too shall pass. Though it may not seem like it right now. I know how you feel deary trust me I do, all mums have a hard time coping rather they admit it or not. Some like to act as if everything is great and going well, those are the ones we need to worry about!!!! LOL...... :) Your reaction to the stressful life of mum hood is perfectly "normal". If you did not cry or scream or whatever it is you do, you may in fact go completely mad!!!!!!!!!!! LOL....... :) The crying is a survival mechanism for the stressed mum. Does`nt it make you feel a bit better after a good cry? I know it does me most times. I feel rejuvenated (recharged) after a good cry to relieve some of the pressure. I`m not sure how old your children are, but mine are 18,17,16 and 13, the 3 oldest are all "TEENAGE" girls. Trust me I`m in a bit of a twister myself with these girls. My baby, the 13 year old is my son, who also is feeling his oats and is trying out his "LET'S DRIVE MUM TO THE GRAVE" at an early age game :). I do my share of crying, yelling, trying to understand, trying to reach compromises you name it. I think once a mum always a mum, from birth to the grave. So I am not sure it gets any easier as I thought when mine were younger it was the worst, but now that they are older I feel these are the worst times. What a career to choose ey? Mum hood who would have ever thought that it would be this hard??????????????? :( Just remember though like Charlie said "WHAT DOES'NT KILL US ONLY MAKES US STRONGER" I do believe that with all my heart. You ae doing fine dear, everyone has their bad days, you are doing better than you know. I hope your health visitor is able to give you some advice and suggestions on how to relieve some of the stress though. Do post to let us know how it goes with your health visitor tomorrow. Hang in there Babs, you`ll be just fine, and if and when you have a bad day don`t beat yourself up about it. It happens to the best of them.

Take care dear,

Diana xxx

Lottie32
11-02-04, 09:12
Babs

Would just like to point out too how good you are doing. When I suggested that you left the little ones at home, and came to meet us in the Midlands, you said you couldnt, cos your hubby wouldn't cope!!!!

Hope you are feeling a bit better today, and that the health visitor is helpful

Charlie

babs26
13-02-04, 18:03
hi all,
well am ok, my h v has got me into a parenting group, its every other tuesday and has a creche so the youngest 2 are kept occupied.
i had my postnatal check too and my doc has upped my sertraline to 200mg per day so hopefully that will help. am dreading next week though as its half term.

diana
14-02-04, 06:03
Hiya Babs,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. The parenting group should be great too. That`s where all the mums can go to let their hair down and open up. Be careful it could get ugly!!!!!!!! LOL.......... :-) Just kidding :). I just mean we always see the "OTHER" mums looking so in control, not a worry at all and really they are feeling stress too, but of course if they do not suffer with this disorder then their stress seems bearable. Unlike ours, but I am sure it will be quite therapeutic in a small sort of way, to see other mums show their true colors and start to unravel right in front of your eyes. Not to say anything "NEGATIVE" about the other mums, but you know what I mean (I HOPE) !!!!!!!!!! LOL....... :-). I hope your increase in meds helps out a bit more too. Post to let us know how eveything is going for ya. You are doing grand, keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything will be fine, just take one day, one step at a time.

Take care dear,

Diana xxxx

babs26
15-02-04, 10:37
Hiya,
am having a crap couple of days, valentines day was a complete wash out, had stomach pains all day, have had them on and off for about 3 days but they were really bad yesterday, so I went to ask a pharmacist as I thought it could be the sertraline causing it cos it hads been upped but he seemed to think it could be a grumbling appendix!! Great news or what???? :(

am ok, no panic so far but hardly slept last night and the kids are totally getting on my nerves, probably cos I am tired and in pain. My selfish husband also isnt helping, but hey should be used to that with him by now!! He is leaving me with the kids, knowing I dont feel well and am really tiredto go and play some stupid pointless card game, when I got up this morning I seemed really tired he went in a mood with me cos he thought I was doing it to stop him going out. He is getting to be more and mroe selfish and also chucking my ilness in my face every time he gets mad at me.

nomorepanic
15-02-04, 13:49
Babs

Sorry to hear that you had a bad day yesterday. Do you think you ought to see the doc about the possible grumbling appendix?

As for the selfish husband well they can be like that. I am very lucky cos me and Alex got together when I was at my worst so he knew what he was taking on and we both hoped that things would only get better and they are slowly 7 years on.

I know that non-sufferers have no patience with us and throw such hurtful comments at us telling us "just to get over it" etc.

Perhaps you could try the shock therapy and just get up and walk out and go for a drive (if you are able to) and leave him with the kids - see how he likes it eh? Tell him that you don't feel well and would appreciate some help from him at the moment. Can you get someone to take the kids off your hands for a couple of hours so you can get a nice relaxing bath and some peace and quiet.

Good luck

xx

Nicola

Rennie1989
15-02-04, 14:54
babs

im glad ya okay, the rescue remedies do work (if ya take em at the right time)

jade

turn that frown
upside down

babs26
15-02-04, 18:36
Hiya,
Thanks guys, was feeling awful earlier and am still in pain with my stomach, and yes am going to see my GP tommorow. It seems as if Its another thing in a catalogue of bad things, just as I think things are getting better, something else happens!!

I hope I have some news from my hv tommorow about help with the kids and stuff, its half term this week so am dreading it, where we live there isnt that much for the kids to do and I dont drive and If I feel as rough as I do now its not going to be much fun for them or me!!

I was a bit hard on my hubby before, i think I just woke up in a "no one ever thinks of me" mood. He is generally very good but I think sometimes he gets a bit exhasperated with my mood swings and just lashes out which I guess is totally understandable.
well, am off for a nice hot bath!!

Rennie1989
15-02-04, 19:03
i always think that when i wake up ''no one cares/thinks about me'' just remember, they do

jade

turn that frown
upside down

babs26
16-02-04, 17:35
Yeah, I know that. Its just really hard going sometimes. I feel really panicky and shakey tonight as I had a panic attack last night and also took some decongestants earlier and think they have reacted with my other tablets...even though I asked the pharmacist if they would and she said no!!

Rennie1989
16-02-04, 19:00
it might not be that, it may be because of sumot else

jade

turn that frown
upside down

diana
16-02-04, 19:05
Babs,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time to say the least. I know what you mean about thinking you are getting things in order, and then yet one other thing pops up on ya. It is really hard I know when you have children. It is a very stressful career we choose raising children. It is one that does`nt end after 5:00 pm. Like those who have out of the home careers. It is 24/7 and I think that`s where the stress comes in because we can not stop being mommy for a second can we? If we do try we still feel like oh my gosh if I`m not there everything is going to fall apart. As I know for myself I don`t feel like anyone else is capable of running things like I am. Silly thoughts I know, but just the way I feel. Which obviously means I cause alot of my own stress because it is hard for me to let go and let someone else. Even if I do throw caution to the wind and make a night or weekend of it, I am very uncomfortable. What are we to do? Try to take it easy, get some rest/relaxation. Post to let us know how it goes with the GP. I hope all is well, and you will start to feel better soon.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

babs26
22-02-04, 18:36
Ok, havent been able to post for a while, sorry guys,,,have been feeling really rough. Have had gastroeneteritis!! was not nice at all but better than a grumbling appendix!!

OK, my GP has now sorted out for a CPN to come and see me and also wants me to go see her in two weeks to chat about my meds and see if they are working, and also my HV has spoken to social services and hopefully they will be able to give me some support with the kids. Am feeling OK today apart from the fact my baby decided it was time to get up at 3am so am pretty wiped. Had a panic attack three nights ago but managed to control it which I was pleased about so its kind of like seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Lottie32
22-02-04, 19:03
Hi Babs

Glad things finally seem to have taken a turn and are now going your way. I've not been on the site for nearly a week, due to very dodgy stomach upset. Felt terrible, and had convinced myself it was reaction to medication. Then i remembered that my mum had exactly the same thing (only she started one day earlier) and she wasn't taking any meds!!!!

It's quite a chunk of help all at one go - the health visitor finding a group, the CPN visit, and your GP reviewing your meds! I'd get a diary so that you make sure you are where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be!!!!

Don't worry too much about being panicky when tired/at night. It is extremley common for anxiety and panic to be heightened at night, and for the symptoms to be worse while you are feeling tired.

Don't loose sight of the light, now you've found it! Sometimes we have blips, just remember that you've seen the light, and you know where you should be aiming now. Onwards and upwards ......

Charlie

Meg
22-02-04, 19:12
You've coped really well. Well done Babs .

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
22-02-04, 20:54
Babs

I have had gastroeneteritis several times - not nice is it. I was in so much pain with it.

Good news about the panic attack and you coping with it - well done.

Hope you are feeling better today?

Nicola

diana
23-02-04, 02:53
Hiya Babs,

Good news for you ey? Like Charlie said alot of help all at one go!!!!!!! It really seems that things are going in the right direction for you finally. I am very happy for you :). You did very well coping with the onset of a PA, Good for you!!!!!!!!! :). Not sure what Gastroenteritis is, but it does`nt sound nice, so I hope you are doing better in that area too. Let us know how things get on for you after receiving the help you are to get. Good luck dear.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

Meg
23-02-04, 17:53
Bad tummy upset with lots of abdominal cramps , vomiting and diarrhoea !

Meg

diana
25-02-04, 04:48
EEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! That`s really not nice. Don`t envy you there Babs.

Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Meg thanks for the description of the tummy problem LOL......... :).

Take care all,

Diana xxxxxx

P.S. Hope everyone is having a panic free day :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babs26
27-02-04, 20:38
Hi all,

Am OK, really tired though, Have had a hell of a week. First I did my back in and was in agony and then my eldest daughter got german measles even tho she has had her MMR so was not happy at all....its like the kids have had 2 weeks off instead of one so am feeling really wiped out and am really snappy which is not good. I feel a bit shaky tonight too but took my meds a bit later than usual so that could be why. Hope everyone else is ok. Have any of you guys had snow? We had loads today so my kids were dead chuffed, its mostly all melted now tho!!!

well...will love you and leave you all for now...will post over the w/e..hope you all have a good one!!

diana
27-02-04, 22:38
Hiya Babs,

Wow it sounds like "MURPHYS LAW" at your house.

I hope posting about it has helped take the edge off a bit.

We actually have had alot of snow lately but none today. Thank goodness. Ours is all melted now. Just has left the ground quite marshy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do hope that your back and daughter are doing better soon.

Here`s to hoping you have a better weekend :-D.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

P.S. I will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts. :)