PDA

View Full Version : what are body zaps please?

smudger
16-02-10, 17:26
What do people mean when they say they get body zaps? Is it when the body becomes exhausted?

JT69
17-02-10, 12:16
Hi Smudger, its driving me totally mad!!!! I looked it up yesterday and its called electric shock syndrome (side effect from withdrawal of SRRI's). I am experiencing them everyday all day. It feels like zaps in your brain and throughout the body (I assume in the nervous system) In my head it sounds like a zer zer sound and you feel a bit wierd when it is happening. Having taken ciatalopram on and off for a number of years I have always made sure I tapered the dose very slowly but this time coming down from 40mg to 0 in one week has caused this. I half way through week 2 now so i persevere, but yesterday felt so desperate was going to go back to GP and ask to be taken off mirtazipine and put back on citalopram just to get rid of them...but I know in my heart the citalopram stopped working so am just trying to get on with it. Not nice at all. I found others on this forum experiencing or having done before so that is keeping me going. I just wish they weren't there all the time as I cant leave the house at the moment. Hope this helps. Jo.

smudger
17-02-10, 19:53
OMG! That sounds awful!Luckily I haven't experienced these. So sorry you have had them so much! I can't imagine how difficult it must be to carry on as normal when experiencing this.

KK77
17-02-10, 20:20
It's like JT describes. People think that you only get them in your head (ie, "brain zaps") but you can also get them in other parts of the body too. I was getting them in my arms and wrists on top of brain zaps when I came off paroxetine. It's just like mini electric shocks.

Not pleasant...

smudger
17-02-10, 20:24
How awful and sounds quite dangerous really. What if you are holding a cup of hot tea for example. Or God forbid, a baby!Do these occur on high doses of drugs only?

KK77
17-02-10, 20:54
No, I was on only 20mg of paroxetine but for a long time. I think it depends on duration and dose and the drug. Paroxetine and venlafaxine seem to be the worst of the lot...

Mirtazapine doesn't appear to cause them.

angiebaby
17-02-10, 21:01
These must also be possible when you do not take medications at all as i get the head zapps and have the body one's occasionally also, but i do not take any medications at all, not even a paracetamol for a migraine.
Maybe they could have something to do with hightened nerves, being on edge so to speak. Apparently they are harmless.

smudger
17-02-10, 22:38
Maybe harmless angiebaby but very unsettling no doubt. Can't imagine ever getting used to it! Must be quite draining if they are continuous!

Joonyer
17-02-10, 22:52
I'm getting these at the moment as I've come off Escitalopram since friday after 5yrs on.

I've had the shocks before when I've messed up the meds and it's very weird, but I kinda like it. If you're relaxing and one hits you, you just feel sort of dazed and almost in a dream, I find it quite interesting but admittedly the first few times it scared me.

All I can say is, it goes. It will get less and less until you stop noticing it.

Incidentally, last night I woke up and realised I'd stopped breathing, and was panting like crazy... coming off meds is madness but for the best! Good luck

Matt

mandie
17-02-10, 23:54
Hi

i was gonna do a post about this.

i was in asda earlier and was at the till. out of nowhere i had this jolt feeling in my head, like an electric shock, made me jump and feel all panicky. i thought i was gonna pass out.

iv had this before but not for ages and it really scared me

im feeling all anxious now. iv been forgetting to take my meds lately, skipping days, i wonder if thats got anything to do with it

mandie x

JT69
18-02-10, 09:03
Hi Mandie, if you are on srri meds and forgotten to take them maybe thats why it happened as the "zaps" are a withdrawal effect from srri's. Jo.

mandie
18-02-10, 19:06
thanks jo. iv only missed a couple here and there, didnt think it would make any difference

thank god i never got them today although iv been on edge all day, worried incase i have it again

mandie x

xxhwaters
19-06-12, 04:26
I have been looking for answers for this same problem for a long time now!
I have been weaned off of Effexor, it took 4 months,
and I have not had a dose in about 3 days now.
I always would notice these "zaps" when I missed a dose.

Coming down from them I never noticed any side effects until 3 days ago when I have not had any effexor at all.
They are really frightening.. and happen more then 20 times in a day for me now. Most of the time they are just in my head but I have been noticing that my chest feels like they get a little "zap" now.

Does anyone know how long this will last for?
I have not been able to go to work these last few days because they are really making me feel sick.

SO FRUSTRATED :(:weep: