PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for coffee?

Worry-wart
17-02-10, 06:09
Been a while since I posted here. My life has changed dramatically. I have work finally, after a year of unemployment. yay :yahoo:. It has made a major improvement on my mental (and probably physical as well) health. However, with it some new stresses. It is IT work and very brain intensive. In order to get up to speed, I have had to resort to drinking lots of coffee. I know this is the worst thing for increasing stress and anxiety but I really need to be on the top of my game.

I know this is probably a pipe dream, but is there another stimulant that does not have at least as many ill effects as coffee does but will keep my brain at its peak? It would need to be legal, non addictive and safe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

suzy-sue
17-02-10, 15:36
High strength cod liver oil or omega fish oil capsules keep the brain functioning well ,Its been proved children do better at school and exams when a dose is taken each day ..Avoid sugary foods apart from natural sugar ie fruit .Ginseng & ginko are good supplements to take too ,but buy a good one & do get plenty of quality sleep .thats most important ,good for the nervous system ...All the best and well done ..Sue x

Worry-wart
18-02-10, 02:56
Thank you. Very good advice!

SummerT
22-03-10, 22:33
Been a while since I posted here. My life has changed dramatically. I have work finally, after a year of unemployment. yay :yahoo:. It has made a major improvement on my mental (and probably physical as well) health. However, with it some new stresses. It is IT work and very brain intensive. In order to get up to speed, I have had to resort to drinking lots of coffee. I know this is the worst thing for increasing stress and anxiety but I really need to be on the top of my game.

I know this is probably a pipe dream, but is there another stimulant that does not have at least as many ill effects as coffee does but will keep my brain at its peak? It would need to be legal, non addictive and safe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You might want to try a honey and lemon mixture.
-2 tablespoons pure honey
-2 tablespoons lemon juice
-Boiling water

I've also heard that Apple Cider Vinegar mixed with water is very healthy. Although it definitely burns going down. And if you dilute the mixture enough to not burn, it starts tasting funny.

sarahsarah
22-03-10, 22:46
Congrats on the job!

I know it's boring and obvious but there's nothing that will improve your concentration and brain power more than drinking water. Make sure you're getting at least 2 litres a day, keep a bottle by your desk to chugg on throughout the day and you'll feel great.

In addition to water, getting enough sleep, eating well, having regular bedtimes and going for walks also helps me to feel on top of my game.

Nothing revelatory here, just the usual stuff but it really works! xx

Southern_Belle
23-03-10, 23:04
If you want something warm to drink in the morning I recommend decaf tea. I love it and I put honey in it to sweeten it and a slice of lemon. It is a great drink for in the morning instead of coffee and it won't make you jittery.

Good luck with the new job.

Take care,

Laura

guitarpants
20-04-10, 07:02
I do IT work as well, and used to be a coffee junkie.

For me, Earl Grey tea or green tea with spearmint and lemongrass does the trick.

As far as a legal, safe, boost of energy; honestly coffee is still the best option. It's no use really looking for "replacements". You might just have to wean yourself off it and try something different.

Straw Jacket
20-04-10, 08:26
I find that green tea works well, and also has some great health benifits if you google it.
Also If you find time excercise, I have recently started excercising everyday and my energy levels have gone through the roof, and its free :D

guitarpants
20-04-10, 19:44
Forgot to add, Yogi "rejuvenation" and Tazo "Zen" teas are awesome.

Worry-wart
28-04-10, 03:50
I find that green tea works well, and also has some great health benifits if you google it.
Also If you find time excercise, I have recently started excercising everyday and my energy levels have gone through the roof, and its free :D

It will have to be decaf. Seems green tea sets off like a rocket. I love the stuff but I had to cut back because of that. I recently bought some decaf. I do love it with lemon and honey. I even have some agave nectar I use sometimes.

Thank you all for the great advice. The "boring" stuff mentioned is the stuff I need but forget. Thanks :)

I've been looking into anti-inflammatory foods as well. I seem a lot more balanced now after changing my diet.