PDA

View Full Version : Just Started Yoga!!!

Meewah
17-02-10, 11:30
Hi All

I have started a yoga class in my area and after the first session I had aches and pains from the stretches. It is now making me a bit panicky as I have aches and pains on and off in my chest area. Deep down I know it has to be yoga induced. I am so bad at flexibility that it was quite painful in places. I will keep it up and may be it will get better.

The problem is. I have isolated my chest area from streatching and exercise as not to cause and aches and pains from fear of PA's caused by these. In turn it has made this area unconditioned and so injures easily.

Any one else isolate areas they are "listening" to for unusual symptoms?

Mee

Annabelle
17-02-10, 13:25
Mee

Yes! scanning myself for any changes from the norm is a big problem for me and I have to activly remind myself that bodies do funny things sometimes. It will take a lot of practise but you can change your pattern of thinking - in the meantime try just doing gentle stretches involving your chest to get it used to excersie again, note any strange feelings and tell yourself its just from the exersise, its not going to kill me! the more you do it, the less strong your panic response will become.
Practise abdominal breating after each yoga session to regulte your breathing and hopefully avoid any anxiety over it.
good luck!

anna xx

eternally optimistic
17-02-10, 16:34
Hi Mee

I LOOOOVED yoga when I took it up several years ago. My doctor recommended it.

Once I got over the initial aches from the "abnormal" stretching, I used to come out of the class feeling fab.

Hope you continue to do the class and enjoy as much as I did.