PDA

View Full Version : please help me :-( blood pressure fear

mila
17-02-10, 15:58
Hello,
i have really been going through some difficult time lately, i really feel i can't cope :weep: This is gonna be a long one so i apologize, hopefully ppl will still read. I really feel like screaming out!
i did write about this on general anxiety forum, i think i should have written here. that was while i was still in hospital, we are home now and i am having a really bad time, worrying even more. I had my baby boy 15 days ago, he was poorly at first so we stayed in the hospital, well we got out this Sunday. Couple of days after the birth my blood pressure started going up. Part of me was thinking well i am in this place, i am worrying like crazy about my baby, always feeling anxious plus these checks couple of times a day, when the bp started going up i started feeling even more anxious about taking it...but when i had readings like 160/110 couple of times i started feeling really so so scared and in total panic, scared something will happen to me, while still worrying a lot about my baby even though he was better. They started giving me a beta-blocker then, which only made me more depressed, making me feel even more like i am ill and it is serious...they kept saying it's nothing unusual, it will sort itself out in a bit, i will get off meds, but i could not stop being scared, especially thinking about those readings. everytime after that when they were about to take it i'd be absolutely freaking out, if the reading is not bad i would feel bit better but only for a bit, when it's time for taking it again i would be in the same panic. Anyway days in the hospital were like that, at first just sitting there in anticipation of either hearing something about my baby or taking the blood pressure, and frustration of not being able to sleep for ages, since the day before i went in the hospital, then they brought him up to me, so we were together, then it was again constantly waiting to have my bp taken or wondering how still not sleeping is affecting my bp, cause i still can't get myself to sleep in the day and of course i have to feed him at night. Now that we are home no more bp checks, which in a way makes me worry even more, i constantly wonder what my bp is like, i take my meds but they don't make me feel sleepy and lightheaded like they did at first so i keep worrying that means it is not bringing my bp down...Monday morning i went to the gp to have it checked and she said it was on border, to keep taking tablets and come back in 2 weeks when we should start reducing them, and not to think about it or take my bp in the meantime and let her take care of that. But that is just not possible for me, not to think of it. I can't stop procrastinating about it, after the appointment i was thinking that is good, she took it before i taken my tablet plus i was nervous, so if it was like 140/90, that is fine, but maybe it wasn't maybe it was higher she just said borderline, she didn't really say what it was... Now i just wanna sit here and cry, every little thing i feel, and i think oh my bp might be through the roof! I am having like a tension headache now often, right now too, and very aching back and shoulders and neck, from the way i hold him when i am feeding him, also not sleeping much, but i keep panicking the headache is blood pressure. I even have a machine to take it, a friend left it to me, but just thinking of using it send me off into panic, the more i think about it the more i freak out, after trying to decide for 5 minutes if i should take it or not i am really worked up.
I don't know what to do really, i am going out of my mind with this, i wish someone would take my bp when i don't know, i also wish someone would tell me i am ok, and that it is not as bad as i think and take it...i know midwifes and doctors did tell me that but i didn't really believe them, they were not the ones with these bp readings...

Cat80
17-02-10, 16:06
Don't worry, it is very easy to control. My sister who is 28 has high blood pressure. Her's went upto sometime over 140 when she was in hospital in December having an operation and her heart rate dropped to 40 something when she was coming around from the operation. She's currently having loads of tests to find out why but she's on 2 different tablets. A water tablet and a blood pressure medicine. This has bought her blood pressure down to only just above normal.

At first they thought she may have white coat syndrome as it everytime she is at the hopsital or Dr's her blood pressure goes up but they gave her a 24 hour monitor which proved it wasn't that. Please don't worry.

Liz is doing a trek to Peru in May raising money for the Alzheimers Society and she wouldn't be allowed to do that is her blood pressure was a problem.

If you want to take your BP when not at the Dr's get a blood pressure monitor and do it at home through different times of the day and see if it's any lower.

I know here in the UK you can get them for £10 which is about $20.

LisaLisa
17-02-10, 16:13
Gosh Millie
How rubbish for you that your blood pressure is playing up when you have so much on your plate with a new baby. Ive heard that happens to a lot of people. It happened to my mum when she had me and it fixed itself.

Maybe you are fixated on this bloodpressure worry purely becuae you are in a hormonal post birth upheaval, your tired and your whole life is revolving around your new littel boy!! It sounds like all this happening is just making you extremely anxious and thats causing you to 'feel' out of proportional fear and worry about 'what might happen' with your blood pressure. It might help to try and say to yourself that if what is worrynig you is based on 'what if....' and not 'what is' currently reality then your feelings cannot be trusted and they are purely a result of a wound up nervous system.

Try your very best to distract yourself hun with your baby and the whole thing will settle down, im totally sure. I had ababy last year and got suuuuuuuppppppper anxious after and really couldnt see that it was not justified until much later, so i really know where your at and you can break this worry cycle i promise, high blood pressure or not!!

Lisa
xxxxx

barbn
17-02-10, 18:06
OMG - my blood pressure is all over the place....first anxiety and worry make it worse (I'm sure you know that)....When I first go to the Dr's my BP is up in the 160's as I am so anxious....and my Dr knows this so after I calm down a bit they have a machine tht takes it 3 time in a row and they use the average (I can't see the results)...I know if I take deep breaths litterally say the word "calm" a million times, I will calm down. And it usually goes down to the 130's.

You have a lot on your plate right now, so it doesn't surprise me that your BP is higher!! and CAt80 is right...BP is very easy to control. You are going to be fine!!!

ames6767
17-02-10, 18:32
Im sure this is all to do with you having the baby. My b.p went right up after having my son its a mixture of hormone,lack of sleep and stress. I took medication and tried relaxation in the end and it got better. congratulations on your baby and I hope you feel better soon xx

mila
17-02-10, 18:36
If you want to take your BP when not at the Dr's get a blood pressure monitor and do it at home through different times of the day and see if it's any lower.

I know here in the UK you can get them for £10 which is about $20.

A friend brought me her bp monitor, i tried using it when i was in the hospital, it was still like 140something over about 100, i couldn't manage to relax, and i tried even taking couple of readings, the top number would go down but the bottom was only going up and up and i was just feeling more and more worked up and only felt relaxed again when i took the cuff off my arm finally...
So now having the monitor here only makes me nervous, i think about taking the bp and before i even go and get the monitor i am worked up trying to decide whether to do it or not, i just think what if i do it and i do see it's high what am i gonna do, just gonna panic again, though if it wasn't high i would be able to relax and maybe worry less about it, so that would be good.

Lisa,

thank u for reply, i know, i am finding it so hard to cope, worrying about the baby, worrying about myself, now he is fine but it's my first, i don't have clue what to worry about so i worry about everything, just now i don't know if he is too hot, he seems so warm, but when i use the thermometer he doesn't have temperature, but i start thinking maybe my thermometer isn't working properly...
i am so so depressed, just want to cry and cry but then i think about this tension headache and how it would feel like if i cried...

mila
17-02-10, 20:24
Im sure this is all to do with you having the baby. My b.p went right up after having my son its a mixture of hormone,lack of sleep and stress. I took medication and tried relaxation in the end and it got better. congratulations on your baby and I hope you feel better soon xx

Really? How long did it take u? Do u know how high it was? It just feels better knowing someone was there too and it resolved...although i still am scared it will not go away :weep:

cookie10
17-02-10, 21:14
Hi Mila, I could have written your post myself. My baby girl is a year old now but I too developed high blood pressure late into my pregnancy and was admitted to hospital at week 38. I developed preeclampsia. Anyway to cut a long story short I came home and had routine check with midwife who told me to go to gp, saw a doc (not my own unfortunately) and he sent me back to hospital where they admitted me. Like you I was absolutely terrified of the blood pressure machine wheeling down the corridoor. I stayed in a week and sure enough with meds it sorted itself out and I was allowed home. Went to see my own doc who took me off all meds and said my bp was now normal and that it is very very common to develop high bp but that it always sorts itself out. My blood pressure is fine now... but if you can try not to keep checking it at home... my boyfriend is a personal trainer and so we had a bp machine at home. He's taken it out of the house now cause it was becomming an obsession....easier said than done I know but please try not to worry your bp will be just fine. take care and congratulations. x