PDA

View Full Version : Regular gym users, Help please

adamant
17-02-10, 18:20
Right Ive decided to joint he gym next week.

Does anyone have any routines they could recommend please?

I have had about 3 years now of absolutely no exercise whatsoever! Which means anything too strenuous I wont be able to do.

I don't know what it is with me but if I exercise at home for only 20 minutes I feel so fatigued. I cant handle any form of exercise so was wondering if anyone had any tips; Routines, Best times to eat, Best foods to eat etc etc.

Also, On my anxiety part, Will people think I'm stupid if I go in and exercise for like 10 minutes and leave? I know I'll feel stupid but that's prob all I'll be able to handle at first.

Thanks.

suzy-sue
17-02-10, 18:42
You would be better off talking to someone who works at the gym .They will give you a proper programme to follow and advise you on diet etc .This will be your personal regime and it will be assesed on your general health, fitness level and heart rates ,also your height and weight . Has your Dr given you a check up lately ? It would be a good idea first ,if you are as unfit as you say you are ..Good luck and I hope it makes you feel better ...Sue x

Jaco45er
17-02-10, 18:48
Hi Adam

It is important you don't overdo it. Most gym's (in my experience) are full of people doing their own thing, so no one will even notice you.

I would suggest 10 minutes on the bike, see how you get on, it's low impact and helps to build up stamina.

Try and eat 2 hours before, but not less that 2 hours. If I am doing weights, I tend to eat pasta before I go, and bananas and milkshakes. Pasta is great slow release energy so will stop you getting that crash feeling.

Have a chat with the instructors, they are usually only too willing to work out a plan for you, depending what your goals are (weigh loss, gain, toning etc).

But the most important advice I could offer is, keep hydrated, you can lose litres of water in the gym.

And don't over do it ;) you will get "no brain" muscle heads lifting as much weight as they can 3 or 4 times. Trust me, that only serves their ego and does jack all for their fitness so leave em to it ;).

My own routine is 25 mins cross trainer, 25 mins bike, 10 mins rower then 30 - 60 mins weights, but I have been a regular user of gyms on and off for years, so just build up slow, stay off the weights for the 1st couple of weeks and build your time in the gym up slowly.

Good luck

Jaco

nomorepanic
17-02-10, 18:57
When I joined the local gym I had two induction sessions so they show you how to use all the equipment and they also do a personal work-out plan.

That is the best and safest way to do it in my opinion.

Mine cost £20.

Annabelle
17-02-10, 19:32
definatly get one of the instructors to do an induction for you so you know how it all works!
I started the gym about 4 months ago and i could only do 10 mins on the cross trainer before i thought i would die! Now im up to 19 - 20 mins which is ace! And don't worry like jaco said most ppl are in their own world so wont notcie how long your there - sometimes i only do 10 mins and leave if im having a bad anxiety day - but i often find that i go in thinking i can only do 10 mins before i freak out but when i get going the adrenalin is being burnt off by the excerside so i make it longer!

good luck and remember to stretch or it will hurt like hell in the morning!

anna xx

smudger
17-02-10, 20:17
I had an induction recently to show me how to use equipment safely. I specifically asked for an exercise programme that would strengthen my weak lower back. Instructors love to help you so if you think what you want before you go you won't waste time doing stuff you don't want or need to do. They also measured my body fat and weight which was useful. One thing I would say is don't overdue it so much that you don't go back. Its meant to be enjoyable too. Build up to a level of fitness. Good luck.

unspoken
17-02-10, 21:34
I just rejoined the gym I used to be a member of a few years ago. The advice above is great. Definitely ask the instructors about how to use the equipment. I didn't have a clue how to use most of it when I first went!

Take things slowly. Try just walking on the treadmill, maybe increasing the gradient if you can, or increasing from a fast walk to a slow walk. Ignore what other people are doing. Don't be tempted to try to go as fast or for as long as the person on the machine next to you. An exercise bike can be good as well. Definitely don't overdo it, or else you'll feel exhausted and won't want to go back, and you could injure yourself. If you're worried about not staying there long enough, stand around doing some stretches and drinking some water before, between and after time using the machines. No one will think it odd that you don't stay long though. Take an mp3 player, it will distract you from the exercise you're doing and should stop people trying to talk to you.

onceagain
17-02-10, 23:24
hi

The thing is that when you exercise it is going to cause exhaustion as you aren't used to it...

First things first when you go to the gym ask for a coach to be with you during your first session.. your priority is cardio and ensuring that you are working on your hard rate... no point in rushing into anything you need to take it slowly to improve that heart rate and this comes with time..

the treadmill walking... will warm you up... you can check your heart rate and continue to do so.. you should keep a record of it ..so that you can see not just feel the results ..

Don't go mad..take it easy maybe 5 mins on treadmill, 3-5 on bike ...keep watching that heart rate.. you will feel tired but you will be fine as long as you remember to drink plenty don't go mad and ensure that you stop if you are feeling light headed or sick...

The cross trainer on an easy setting for a few minutes ...yes everything should start on easy settings with short time spans so that you are building on your fitness ...over the weeks your fitness level with increase and when you recognise that your pulse is lowering because it is getting easier increase time or increase setting and keep times short... either way please speak to a coach and ask them to assist you...

Be proud what a step and the very best of luck x

onceagain
17-02-10, 23:26
Typo errors cardio and heart rate... find what it should be and work at reducing it ... best of luck...cardio in the sense to work on your heart rate and not think of it as a body thing...

No point in looking fab if you miss the bus cos you can't run for it..take it slowly and keep us informed... if you was near to me I could do with a gym buddy x

adamant
19-02-10, 21:58
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

How stupid of me for not even thinking about an induction haha :roflmao:
Will definitely be taking advantage of that.

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully Im going to sign up next week.