PDA

View Full Version : scared to take iron tablets

mummy4
17-02-10, 19:43
oh my god that sounds so pathetic but it really is true im scared!!!

i had bloods taken last wed and doc rang me today to say iron levels are low so prescribed me some iron tablets and told me to take 3 a day. they are called ferrous sulphate 200mg.

i read the leaflet and it said may cause an allergic reaction in extreme (yes i know EXTREME!!) circumstances and you cant breathe properly and can collapse and i am so scared to take them now!!

i have been feeling dizzy and cr**y as it is and i know this could be due to low iron but also anxiety.

they are still awaiting my thyroid results and she said they are taking longer than normal to come back.

has anyone ever took these iron tablets and if so how did you feel taking them?? did they make you feel better/worse.
i take 5mg cipralex every other day (should be every day)

xx

anx mum
17-02-10, 19:58
there fine hun i take them:)

charlotte83
17-02-10, 20:05
They always say that on all medications and tablets, it doesn't mean it will happen, its just to cover their backs in the ETREMELEY RARE instance it does!! You will be fine, I've never taken them but my sister had iron tabs and she was fine, don't worry.

smudger
17-02-10, 20:09
I took them recently, exact same dose, they just made me constipated n turned my faeces back. Both normal side effects. xx

KK77
17-02-10, 20:10
Make sure you take them with food because they can cause stomach upsets. Other than that I don't think there should be any problems.

Lissy43
17-02-10, 20:11
I take them, do not worry. You will be fine.

They say all medication can cause allergic reactions, it is so rare. I had an allergic reaction to a drug once which put me off taking meds, but I take them now and don't worry about that risk.

Wolfie
17-02-10, 20:18
I'm sure you will be fine, iron is present in a range of foods, and if you did have some sort of allergy relating to iron, then you would have already been well aware of it from a young age.

I've taken iron tablets from the doctors on several occasions and they made me feel so much better, I felt less tired, more energetic, healthier and yes, I'll say it - it turn my poo black lol, that's just the excess iron being expelled from your body, as your body only uses what it needs.

Try not to be scared and go for it, the only thing that will happen is that your health will improve for the better :)

Let us know how you get on!

Chrissy xx

mummy4
17-02-10, 20:25
thanks everyone!

i long to feel healthy. i always feel so dizzy, off balance, not with it, low, no energy, tired, thats just a few things!! x

smudger
17-02-10, 20:26
lol WolfiesALady, and I was trying so hard not to use the POO word and be ladylike for once!!

Carys
17-02-10, 20:37
As was said above....

I'm sure you will be fine, iron is present in a range of foods, and if you did have some sort of allergy relating to iron, then you would have already been well aware of it from a young age.

There is iron added to so many cereals and it is an element that is required in your diet through a range of foods. Don't think of it as medication, think of it as just a stronger version of what you have already been taking in through your food, for your whole lifetime. I took iron for 12 months, after having severe anaemia, and it caused me no problems at all - no stomach irritation or constipation. I tolerated it very well, and you may well find the same.

LucyR
17-02-10, 20:45
Hi, Its so good to know that you now know what is, at least in part, causing the dizziness and faintness you have felt, and now know that its not all down to anxiety, I always think its confusing when they say anxiety causes the dizziness, because I think its rather the dizziness that causes the anxiety, its hard to know exactly really. I have heard of ferrous sulphate, never had any experience of them myself, just knew of a friend who took them I am sure you will feel better on them than you do at the moment. Id say don't pay too much attention to the leaflet as I have done many times and scared myself off taking tablets etc.! After all, the doctors have given you these to help you, so at least start trying them. As for the thyroid results taking longer than normal to come back? I was told 5 days so its about 5 working days for you now? so im sure you will hear back soon.

amandaj
18-02-10, 07:47
i take folic acid every day, please dont be scared to take them heres absolutly no side affects they will also make you feel so much better,im the worlds worst for taking tablets but ive been taking these for years im no taking thyamine aswell which are a sort of vitamin from the dr

amandax

mummy4
18-02-10, 18:18
thanks so so much everyone :)

i still have not started them because of the following reason...........i read on the onternet you should not take them within an hour before drinking tea or eating eggs or iron rich food and also not to take one for 2 hours after this so am wondering when is the best time to take them and should you take then with food or not? xx

Carys
18-02-10, 20:02
I took them with food as this reduces the chances of the stomach lining being irritated. I preferably took them when eating something that contained vitamin C (as that aids the absopbtion) but I made sure that I didn't have tea or coffee either an hour before or an hour after eating (as they inhibit absorption).

I've not heard about the eggs, so can't comment on that. I would presume that idea is that you don't want to increase your iron consumption to extraorinarily high levels by having lots of eggs AND iron tablets.

Cell block H fan
18-02-10, 21:07
I was given them when I was pregnant, but they gave me belly ache & black toilet! I remember being on the way home from work with the hubby (we worked together) and telling him to get a shift on because I needed to get home like now! LOL So I was told after that I didn't need them lol Was nothing terrible though, if you've been told you definitely need them, you'll be fine. When you're pregnant they used to give you them as standard I think.

mummy4
18-02-10, 21:39
ive been pregnant 4 times and have never had them!!!

am wondering if i should just go to holland and barratt and buy some of their iron tablets and they are 15mg ones what do you all think?

Cell block H fan
18-02-10, 22:40
ive been pregnant 4 times and have never had them!!!

am wondering if i should just go to holland and barratt and buy some of their iron tablets and they are 15mg ones what do you all think?

It was 16 years ago I was pregnant lol I dont remember being offered them with my next one.

Wolfie
20-02-10, 00:33
Personally, I think it may be best for your health to take the iron tablets that the doctor has supplied. If the doctor supplies you with iron tablets, your iron levels are low and need to be boosted, thats why the tablets are a high dose as it does this quickly and more effectively - if you have any excess iron through the tablets, your body poops it out lol. Hence the effect on the bowels.

I am notorious for going to the doctors every so often and ending up with a tub of prescribed iron tablets, exactly the same for you. I took them with food, which helped my stomach, and I am completely fine. I know it is scary to take them hunni, but once you get over those first few barriers, you will feel not only less scared of them, but you will feel much better, health-wise.

You can do this, I know you can. So does everyone else here :)

Please let us know how you get on.

Much love,

Chrissy x

suzy-sue
20-02-10, 00:53
You can try eating some raisins each day counteract the iron causing constipation ,,It worked for me .Grapes and cherries are good too .,you dont need many to keep you going properly ..luv Sue xx