PDA

View Full Version : explation greatly needed

sunnyspice
21-07-03, 17:53
could some one please explain 2 me the difference between

1) A PANIC ATTACK

2) AN ANXIETY ATTACK

have tried 2 ask my doctor but he never seems 2 have time 2 listen or explain things 2 me ..just pats me on the back and sends me out with tablets

if some one could explain would greatly appreciate it as i am sure it would give me a better understanding of wot is happening 2 me xx

wendy

Meg
22-07-03, 23:01
On a scale of 1 - 10.

Asleep is a 1
Calm is a 3
Everyday life is a 5
Anxious a 7
Anxiety attack an 8
Panic would be a 10 .
Most people with panic attacks when they start to heal can talk themselves down from a potential panic attack to an anxiety attack which doesn't involve a large whoosh of adrenaline. Then often plateau there a while and then learn to diffuse any situation so they don't even escalate to an anxiety attack.

I hope that helps.

nomorepanic
24-07-03, 21:50
Ok Wendy - this is how I see it ...

An anxiety attack is whereby you feel edgy and anxious about something but do not necessarily suffer any physical symptoms.

A panic attack is where the anxiety gets so great that the body goes into a "fight or flight" situation so you end up with the physical symptoms such as hyperventilation.

Some people (myself included) can suffer anxiety attacks that don't result in panic attacks but the feelings are still intense.

Hope this helps.

Nicola

mulder
13-09-03, 12:07
That was a very good question. Great responses too. I have often wondered the difference myself. Reading the above has sort of sorted it out now.

Was wanting to ask though (but didnt want to start a new post) where does "anticipation" come in? Is this a symptom itself or just the mind working overtime.

Also. Anyone any ideas on how to beat the anticipation problem. this seems to be my hardest battle at the moment.

I know I`ve got a journey tomorrow, so I`ll accept that it will be hard and I`ll do it, but the anticipation (ie, the sleepless night before, the visualisation of all the "worst things that can happen on this journey", the trembling and nausea just thinking about the journey.) of what it`ll be like is usually what holds me back. Is there any way to overcome this?

Peanut61
13-09-03, 12:33
WELCOME, Wendy: It's nice to meet you. You got some really good answers to your question = I'm glad you asked, and I hope you will post again.

Hi, Mulder: Tis nice to meet you, too!! I think that CBT, ('Cognitive Behavioral Therapy' techniques), helps with that anticipation feeling, (which I definately experience, too!). Also, it helps to be able to identify where you are on the scale of anxiety, (by checking in with yourself frequently), and then taking steps which are commensurate with that level of anxiety to, hopefully, alleviate/decrease it, in the hope of preventing the ultimate escalation of the anxiety sensations to full on panic. The cognitive techniques help up to a certain level, then the breathing and perhaps distracting oneself, (like a mini-timeout), when it gets higher, to good drugs - [:p]:D[:I]:)[:0], when it gets to the very worst of the panic. Just some thoughts... Take care.

HI FROM PEANUT! http://www.harrythecat.com/graphics/w/dog15.gif

Meg
14-09-03, 11:25
Hi Mulder,

Anticipatory anxiety..... The bane of all anxiety. It starts the whole cycle off.

Without anticipatory anxiety we'd just do the activities calmly as they came along until we came across a real danger when we'd panic - appropriately !!

As you rightly said - it is the mind working overtime - negatively. This then tells your body that you have concerns about something and it prepares itself (you) for the worst .
So accept that your journey will be a challenge but it will be fine and as for visualization of the worst things... Immediately those thoughts arrive into your conciousness do not entertain them at all. Switch them to a more positive realistic thought. Don't simply deny the thought or try to push it out. It will then stay and battle and most likely keep the thought there much longer

ie : I'm afraid of driving all this way on the motorway alone as I'm afraid I'll feel faint. What if I faint en route ?? How long will I be stranded for ?? etc

Instead some alternatives may include:

I've only driven shorter distances recently so it's Ok to feel nervous about this journey. I know I will be fine as I always am fine and the feelings of nervousness cannot harm me and always pass. I know I am a good, safe driver and will in time get to enjoy this journey. If I should feel faint, I know that these sensations will pass and that the sooner I relax , the sooner the faint feeling will pass.

It is also possible to use my mobile to talk to a friend if I want to, so in essence I am not alone.

I'm starting to feel nervous which is fine so I'll distract myself and start planning a birthday party for XXXX , now who shall we invite, where shall we go, what games shall we play etc.

Planning a book, what to spend a windfall on, DIY projects are all useful too. Ensure you need to think about the details of whatever you think about. Talking books are great especially if you have a favourite subject/ author , lively radio - not just music works too. Singing is terrific , it makes you breathe correctly- especially the musicals and opera.

You may need to start this thought replacement long before your journey and may need to try several distraction options out before you find the one that works for you.

Other useful aids : Keep water with bach essences nearby, keep slow deep breathing with the out breath longer than the in breath, strong mints- mind the suger content if your're sensitive to sugar swings or it could make you worse. Sugar free are best.

I hope this helps somewhat. Let us know how you do.

Best wishes

Meg.

bishop
14-09-03, 17:46
hi meg
sugar free,what about all the people on insulin you will have them all going into highpo no sugar thats dafted plus i love chocolate.
bish

nomorepanic
14-09-03, 19:37
Thanks for the info Radar - I may borrow some of your advice for the website if that is ok - put it under my coping techniques page? Is that ok with you?

Nicola

Meg
14-09-03, 21:27
Hi Bish,

Yes, chocolate is wonderful, I agree - but a large concentration of sugar will often put an anxious person into an attack.
Many anxious people have hypoglaecaemia which is chronic low blood sugar where you either produce too much insulin or it's very efficient - the opposite of diabetes if you like- and keeping your blood sugar steady is paramount in keeping the shaky, fearful, tachycardic feelings at bay.
Sugar just sends your blood sugar way high one minute so the body produces more insulin which brings it crashing down , more sugar sends it way up again and the whole thing is a viscious circle.
These people should be eating small and often and mainly complex carbs and protein like seeds ,pulses , nuts, grains, eggs, fish etc. This is especially important for those who have adrenal exhausion through huge stresses or constant panic. Most often these people feel worse in the mornings and usually go without enough breakfast..
Incidentally
Type 1 diabetics on insulin should not have pure sugar apart from in an emergency, all the fats, carbs and proteins they eat get digested down into sugars for energy. Most diabetics are on tablets - Type 2 - and also should not have pure sugar as the tablets are designed to deal with XX amount of energy over a few hours and eating pure sugar sends this all to pot - quite apart from all increasing risks of infections, retinopathy, neuropathy as well as the cardio vascular issues.

I'm sure you weren't wanting or expecting an impromptu teaching session but I'm afraid its inbuilt in me. Sorry.

Of course it's Ok Nic.

Meg

nomorepanic
06-10-03, 19:28
Radar - I have added the coping techniques to the website. Thanks for them :-)

Nicola

julie
08-10-03, 09:46
Hi,
Please could someone give me some advice on the connection between food and anxiety attacks. I've heard that caffeine should be avoided as it tends to make anxiety worse but are there any other food stuffs that should be avoided? Should i cut sugar out of my diet completely?
Any advice would be appreciated,
thanks, Julie

nomorepanic
08-10-03, 11:49
Hi Julie

I cut caffeine out but I have not heard that sugar should be cut out. Alcohol can aggrevate and even bring on panic attacks so that should be used in moderation too.

Nicola

Meg
08-10-03, 21:23
Hi Julie,

Caffeine, alcohol and sugar are the main culprits for anxiety induced by food. Foods high in histamines is the other catagory but much less common.

Sugar- I posted a load about this recently in response to something Bish wrote- I'll try to find it and direct you but essentially sugar hits really mess up our blood sugar titration system and can cause huge anxiety/ panic swings.
If you think you may be affected it's worth cutting out simple carbohydrates and pure sugars for a week and see whether there is any difference. Most people affected with this have a too efficient system and are having mild hypos- the reverse of diabetes.

The quick rule of thumb is eat a wholesome breakfast - NOT cornflakes, sugar puffs etc but porridge , whole wheat toast and marmite , yogurt, eggs etc then a couple of hours later have a handful of nuts/ seeds ie pumpkin seeds,hard fruit eg apple / pear
and see how you go. Do not resort to choc, sweets, cookies etc

I don't go anywhere without a small bag of all sorts of seeds/nuts with bit of dried fruit.

Hope that helps

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

julie
08-10-03, 22:47
Hi Radar,
Thanks very much for the advice. I suspected my diet might not be helping matters so i've stopped eating a lot of goodies like cakes and chocolate. I've been better since cutting these things out (and i've lost a stone in weight!) but i didn't know if it was psychological or not. From your advice it would seem a good idea to keep off them. You mention hard fruits like apples are ok, do you know if soft fruit is ok to eat too? I wouldn't mind giving up the chocolate as much if i could munch bananas, raspberries, strawberries etc. Also what about dried fruit like apricots?
I've found your advice to Bish and read that as well - it makes interesting reading. You obviously know a great deal about anxiety, hopefully not all from first hand experience.
Also thanks to Nicola for her reply as well.
Julie

Meg
08-10-03, 23:18
Hi Julie,

I was in too much of a hurry and didn't notice it was the post immediately previously - sorry.

Soft and juicy fruits have more sugar content than hard fruits and are smaller and easier to chomp down so we tend to eat more. Still preferable to choc though !! That's all.

Dried fruit is great but each dried apricot has the same sugar content as a fresh one - so easy to rack it up...

I make a huge quantity of my snack mixture about every 3 months and stick into little Zip lock bags and have one in car at all times as well as vast quantities of a museli type thing for mornings. It really saves choc temptation at the petrol stations.

I was a red berry Special K person but it just wasn't giving me enough energy to get through the mornings with although I didn't realize it at the time . I was leaving at 5am though and doing 15 hour days.
I've had a tough ride with this all - haven't all of us ?! but have really pushed through and am pretty much sorted now and seem to be being led down the training path. I'm running quite a few 1 day anxiety mangement courses now.

Good luck with yours.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

julie
09-10-03, 09:32
Hi Radar,
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. Good luck with the training courses, it's great that something so good and positive has come from your troubles.
Julie.

sunnyspice
15-10-03, 22:35
Firstly i would like 2 thank everyone for taking the time 2 answer my questions or 2 post a response of their own. i aplogise for being a way from the boards but i have been having a pretty bad time of late my partner who i thought was coping with how i am as suddenly decided he dosent want the hassle of me so as uped and left while i was out at college one day. so this as left me not only feeling anxious but also a little depressed.
i feel so alone right now and i feel like i have no grip on my life any more i will try and post agin soon on the boards take care every one
wendyxx

wendy

nomorepanic
15-10-03, 23:00
Wendy

I have replied to your other posting.

Nicola