PDA

View Full Version : Exercise vs Citalopram

skippy66
17-02-10, 22:51
A week ago my doc prescribed me citalopram for anxiety which is causing me a whole range of health issues like chest pain high bp etc.

But I don't want to take it because I don't like the sound of the side effects and I think if I go on them I'll never get off them, so...

I've come up with an alternative plan which I'm trying for a month. I started a few days ago and early signs are good. It involves:

taking multivitamin tablet every day to ensure levels of potassium etc are good.

Eating better

earlier nights

getting myself fit with exercise involving walking every day, tennis 3 times a week, push ups 3 times a week increasing in number every time, swimming and cycling.

Citalopram side effects: everything under the sun

exercise side effects: tiredness, dizziness, palps at first, chest aches, muscle aches, improved health, improved lung capacity, improved fitness, increased serotonin levels, bigger muscles.

I'm already feeling better in myself after only a couple of days despite the fact my muscles especially my chest is aching like mad. I'm developing a trust in my body that is reducing my overall health anxiety.

I'll keep everyone updated on how this goes. If it fails I have citalopram as the last resort.

sammie23
17-02-10, 22:57
Sounds like a plan to me hun. Hope it works for you. If it does let me no haha ill try it hehe xx

smudger
18-02-10, 10:11
gr8 idea. Exercise is fantastic medication!:hugs:Don't forget healthy eating too! Keep us posted how you get on.

darrenc
18-02-10, 14:32
Exercise is definitely a good idea, however for me my fear at the moment is not getting enough air / shortness of breath after exercising. I've had this a few times when I thought I was going to pass out. Even walking up the stairs makes me nervous, although I have started to do that more recently.

barbn
18-02-10, 15:25
I am soooo with you!!! Besides the fact I need to lose a few pounds - I think exercise is a GREAT alternative for meds. Hey, whats it going to hurt to try it for a month to see what happens. You can always go back to taking medication....keep us updated as to how it works out for you.....:D