PDA

View Full Version : CBT - Questions

Tomimo
03-01-06, 19:29
I'm thinking about trying to get some CBT and have some questions.

If you have it privately, how much does it cost?
How often do you have to go?
How long is a session?

I think I'm worried that they will think I am mad and that they'll say that I am a risk to my children. I am worried that having medication and therapy will affect my career and prevent me getting a job when I have finished my teacher training.

Any advice appreciated.
Annie x

nomorepanic
03-01-06, 19:53
The price etc varies a lot.

To give you an idea I am starting back at CBT next week and each session is £230 but I am getting it paid for on private health care. The sessions are one hour long each.

I am not sure how often I am going yet as she has not discussed this - I guess I will find out next week.

They won't think you are mad atall and will strive to help you all they can.

It should not effect your chances of a job atall.

Nicola

Meg
03-01-06, 20:17
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=help

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

henri
03-01-06, 21:32
Hi Annie,
I had seven or eight sessions when i was at my worst and it really helped me. I did it privately and paid £80 per session. After the initial consultation my therapist suggested how many sessions he thought i would need - i was recommended 8-10. You only have to go as many times as you want to (or, in my case, as many as i could afford!). My sessions lasted 50 minutes each.
It shouldn't affect your chances of getting a job. CBT is not something that you need to put on your CV, nor is it something that 'mad' people do! As Nicola says, they will be very nice to you and will try to help you as much as they can.
Henri x

trac67
03-01-06, 21:42
Hi,

I did CBT through my doctor on the NHS.

I had 6 sessions 1 per week each lasting an hour, and then 2 follow up sessions a month apart.

I found that it helped me a great deal, and I would definately recommend it.

Good luck with it.

Take care

Trac XX

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Quirky
03-01-06, 22:15
Hi there,
I went privately for CBT and it cost me £94 per session. I had 8 sessions in all the first time I had CBT. I started going weekly, then fortnightly, then monthly. Each session lasted an hour.
They won't think you are mad at all, they are there to help and will understand how you're feeling.
Good luck,
Lisa

freakedout
04-01-06, 00:52
Hi Annie,

I have CBT free on the NHS following a referral from my GP. I initially had weekly sessions and then fortnightly and currently monthly. My allocated time is one hour, so the session winds down after about 50-55 minutes. The waiting list in my area is around 9months.

Take care,

superfran23
11-01-06, 19:56
my story so far is that i went to my gp and she reffered me for CBT back in november. i got a letter at the end december, saying that i'm on a waiting list for an initial assessement as if they think i need help then i will get 6 1 hour sessions.

3faces
11-01-06, 21:57
I'm starting CBT this Friday...going privately because I cannot wait the length of time I would have to if I went through my GP. It's going to cost £80 a session (ouch!!) and lasts about an hour. I won't know how many sessions I will need until I've had a chance to talk to the therapist but I'm hoping it won't be too many.

I've heard so many good things about this therapy but I know you've got to do a lot of the work for yourself and be determined to change things.

It is always completely confidential. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jem xxx

Daniel
12-01-06, 18:21
MY CBT was on the NHS and I had 12 or 13 sessions (I can't remember) and they lasted an hour. They were very beneficial.

lelia
15-04-09, 08:21
Hi to everybody that is waiting or undergoing CBT.

There are some excellent books which explain the principle and practice of CBT. They also give you some excercises to recognise and change perspectives that lead to anxiety and depression.

I partiularly recommend two books:

David Burns MD - Feeling Good

Dr. Burns describes how to combat feelings of depression and anxiety so you can develop greater self-esteem.The book also explains the benefits and negative side effect of medication.

Anthony Robbins - Unlimited Power
This book is looking at positive health from a NeuroLingustic Programming(NLP) Perspective. It is highly readable and gives you valuable tips on how to change your negative thoughts to enhance your well-being.

Both books have titles which I personally do not like too much but the content is much better. They are a helpful tool for anybody considering or undergoing CBT. I'm sure that you can get them on Amazon ( you probably find them second hand too).

Herbert
15-04-09, 08:50
Hi,

Try a book called 'Mind Over Mood' (ISBN: 978-0-89862-821-0), which is about £10 on Amazon. It's fairly short, very accessible and helps you use CBT to work through your problems with examples and worksheets.

There are also DVDs and CDs you can buy which let you try CBT cheaply so you can get started straight away. Research by the NICE has shown that Computerised CBT is very effective at addressing root causes of problems as opposed to merely relieving the symptoms.

Hope this helps!

Herbert

WillLatch
15-04-09, 13:10
Hi there... I have started a thread on this therapy forum called CBT - A FRESH START. Hopefully it will help reduce your concerns if you can wade through some of my diatribe. I've just had weekly session four. I had my assessment within 24 hours of making the decision, ringing a proper clinic and I pay £46 for each hour. I go weekly and will work it as long as it seems of benefit. There is no stigma, I had NO Diazepam after leaving yesterday. It is MY time with a non judgemental person. And Ms CBT is a very valuable part of my effort to help myself get better. I have no hesitation in recommending the process although I can see from postings here at NMP that it is not for everyone. I hope this doesn't sound flippant.. I am as skint as everyone else in this recession but "you'll find the monies and make them a priority IF you discover that CBT works for you". What can possibly be better than finding ourselves and living our lives richly and with purpose again.. not only for us but those that care for us and those we care for. All the best... WillLatch.

tom1
20-04-09, 00:00
I must be one of the lucky ones. I'm doing CBT from the NHS for free, once a week for 1hr sessions.

I have done CBT before for 2.5yrs but I felt recently I needed to get help again.

CBT is really beneficial it's very important part of the transition into getting well again. Meds alone won't teach you anything. CBT gives you the knowledge and tools to apply to your troubles. I found the combination of meds and CBT gave me the best results rather than CBT on its own. Still, in the near future I may just do without the meds and just do CBT but we'll see how it goes.

Allye
20-04-09, 10:13
I found CBT beneficial with meds -but you have to work at it. There are some good self help books that I used in conjunction with CBT BUT they are equally good on their own if you cant get to see a therapist.

You can get them from Amazon and they are part of the Books on Prescription from the NHS Range - Helen Kennerley - Overcoming Anxiety - Books 1 - 3. They are a 3 part programme based on CBT Techniques - they have multiple large format sheets you need to fill in as well as loads of helful tips and advice.

I did have private medical insurance and my doctor (who was terrible) referred me to the Priory for CBT. Unfortunately I could not even get to town let alone 60 miles on a train so I paid for CBT myself locally.

I saw a lovely therapist on the Herts/Beds border. She charged £46 per hour.