PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody get bad HA when it comes to their kids?

MOMINPANIC
18-02-10, 15:39
Lately my HA has been focused towards my one and only child. He is 7 years old. He has always been pretty healthy except the occasional flu and cold. Lately I have been freaking out if I notice something different about him, and I hate doing that around him. Last week it was a little patch of skin on the back of his leg that's a little darker than the rest of his body. It's been there for probably a year, but of course I decide now to start worrying about it. I've pretty much gotten over that and then last night it looked like the top of his nose was a little bruised on each side. It was weird because sometimes it looked bruised and other times it looked fine. I don't know if it was the light or whatever, but he said it didn't hurt. Then he started complaining of it hurting below his right ribs, so I go into panic mode and of course am asking him every 5 minutes how he's feeling, wondering if something is wrong or if it's his appendix. Before he went to bed he said it only hurt a tiny bit and now this morning he said it was feeling a little better and only hurting a tiny bit. I'm sure it's nothing, probably just gas or constipation. He first mentioned it last night after having 2 big bowls of cereal before bed, and I wonder if the more I mention it he thinks about it, and I also wonder if I don't bring it up again if he'll even mention it again!

I hate worrying about him like this, that something is going to happen to him. It's worse than the HA I have for myself. Can anybody relate to this? How do you deal with your HA when it comes to your children?

LisaLisa
18-02-10, 15:51
Lately my HA has been focused towards my one and only child. He is 7 years old. He has always been pretty healthy except the occasional flu and cold. Lately I have been freaking out if I notice something different about him, and I hate doing that around him. Last week it was a little patch of skin on the back of his leg that's a little darker than the rest of his body. It's been there for probably a year, but of course I decide now to start worrying about it. I've pretty much gotten over that and then last night it looked like the top of his nose was a little bruised on each side. It was weird because sometimes it looked bruised and other times it looked fine. I don't know if it was the light or whatever, but he said it didn't hurt. Then he started complaining of it hurting below his right ribs, so I go into panic mode and of course am asking him every 5 minutes how he's feeling, wondering if something is wrong or if it's his appendix. Before he went to bed he said it only hurt a tiny bit and now this morning he said it was feeling a little better and only hurting a tiny bit. I'm sure it's nothing, probably just gas or constipation. He first mentioned it last night after having 2 big bowls of cereal before bed, and I wonder if the more I mention it he thinks about it, and I also wonder if I don't bring it up again if he'll even mention it again!

I hate worrying about him like this, that something is going to happen to him. It's worse than the HA I have for myself. Can anybody relate to this? How do you deal with your HA when it comes to your children?

I totally relate to this. I really have to control myself when it comes to my daughter with HA. She is 15 months old and I notice everything. Bruises really scare me and she has sebhoracious dermatitis slightly and it really freaks me out. Its all base on my fear of hiv and when ever she gets sick i really stress that she has it and i have given it to her.

Its horrible. Takes an awful lot of effort to try and be rationale about her health.

Lisa
xxxxxxx

bronte
18-02-10, 18:39
i know what your going through health anxiety with my children has spoiled alot of there childhood for me i couldnt stop worrying enough to enjoy it i would torture myself with the thoughts of anything happening to them especialy illness i would think they looked dark under their eyes and convince myself they were ill it was worse with my youngest because she is so pale skinned and people would say isnt she pale and that would send me in to a blind panic my youngest complained of stomache ache a lot and i would be so anxious asking her if she were ok all the time im still like it now but not as bad because my daughters are now 22 and 16 but i still worry all the time .

pinkpiglet
18-02-10, 19:06
When my little boy (3) is unwell my heart is in my mouth until I know he is well, i stay awake all night long to keep check on him, even when its a simple common cold. High temps are my hang up, and when he's unwell I check it continuosly. I focus on nothing but him and his ailments.
However, when he's well, I dont think of the negatives, I am much more relaxed and quite happy to leave him be. I myself had a mother who constantly poked n prodded at me and used to openly worry about my health and her own. As a result I now have health anxiety. This is my last wish for my son, I want to shield him from my anxiety as much as possible (although this is not easy).

Cell block H fan
18-02-10, 19:17
When my little boy (3) is unwell my heart is in my mouth until I know he is well, i stay awake all night long to keep check on him, even when its a simple common cold. High temps are my hang up, and when he's unwell I check it continuosly. I focus on nothing but him and his ailments.
However, when he's well, I dont think of the negatives, I am much more relaxed and quite happy to leave him be. I myself had a mother who constantly poked n prodded at me and used to openly worry about my health and her own. As a result I now have health anxiety. This is my last wish for my son, I want to shield him from my anxiety as much as possible (although this is not easy).

I'm the same as you, I cant sleep when mine are ill, even if they are asleep themselves! And mine are 15 & 13 now lol
I hope it eases off as they get older. The bonus is as they get older they definitely get ill less ive found.

Lissy43
18-02-10, 20:11
I used to be very anxious about my eldest child when he was abotu 3 years old. He started nursery and was ill all the time, I was worried sick.

I don't really worry like that now, but I always make sure if they are ill I keep them at home and tak good care of them, no different to any other mum I suppose. I do take my children to the doctor though if things linger on for more than a few days (in the case of a fever I mean) more than my sister does with her child.

MOMINPANIC
18-02-10, 21:38
It's hard being a mom! Glad I'm not the only one who obsesses about my child's health. It did end up just being a constipation issue for him, so now that that worry is out of the way, I am back to worrying about the "sometimes bruise" on the sides of his nose. Now I wonder if I'm just making stuff up! I didn't notice it this morning, but knowing me I'm sure I'll be checking it out when he gets home from school! Ohhhh.....how I hate this HA!!! Sometimes I wonder if the HA is worse because I do only have one, but then I wonder if it would be worse or better if I had more than one child?