PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam

poppy
04-01-06, 12:20
Hi,
I eventually took a diazepam (2mg). I had very little choice because i could not sleep and it was 4 in the morning by this point. I thought this would make my fear of them go because it actually helped and i managed to get 4 hours sleep.
The thing is today i feel more anxious and wondered if it could be to do with the tablet yesterday.
Does anybody know if diazepam can make you feel worse the next day?
Another thing, does anybody have any other side effects from these?
Thanks
Poppy

bluebottle
04-01-06, 12:43
No, these will not make you feel worse the next day. Enjoy the sleep and stop worrying.

--
Blue -
"Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

taf
04-01-06, 12:53
Yes, I did have some rebound anxiety when I took diazapam. Here's what worked for me....taking a half tab the next day gave me relief if I felt any unbearable anxiety, and helped me feel in control of that anxiety in the short run...then, if need be, I would even take a quarter tab within 8 hours...Some people do get anxious on this med...opposite effect...my dad did at a surgery one time, so they gave him an alternate pre surgery med to help calm him for surgery and he did fine. I can drink a tea or coffee, and feel calm, but friends I know drink 1/4 cup of caffiene of any kind and feel very jittery....Chocolate does that to me, and I just don't tolerate any chocolate well AT ALL...so we are all certainly different.
I have found that an over the counter benedril (sp?) also called diphenhydramine antihistimine works about the same for me as diazapam, as I don't tolerate it (any anti anxiety drug...xanax, etc) too well overall...i.e., do have some rebound anxiety. Benedril (sp?) is very sedating, however, so watch that if you are driving, etc...also very drying to the tissues...respiratory, etc., so if you are sensitive to that, you might wish to avoid. And don't mix the two. And always ask your care provider...I'm no doc...just a simple teacher! LOL Seriously, this is just what worked for me...I am no medico. type, so always ask your doc, I'd say. Lots of benedril not great for a person either! but can help calm some folks over the "hump" so to speak.
I have heard that atavan (sp?) is a newer class of antianxiety short term meds, and is quite effective? I have not used it, but folks I know who have say it works for them better (quicker) to reduce anxiety than the old standby diazepam. Don't beat yourself up over whatever you need to take to help you over the hump at the time. You will be able to put them aside when you don't need them any longer...Just don't stop anything like that suddenly, or rebound anxiety is a big prob from sudden stopping, I've heard. Try the "cutting the pill in half, quarters, etc." method...worked for me...off now for about 2 weeks...and for about 6 days, I did the 1/2's, 1/4's thing.....feeling really good. Take good care!!!! It'll get better[8D]xxo, taf

sal
04-01-06, 19:02
I take diazepam when i am really anxious and have never experienced any delayed side affects from them the next day. Pleased it helped you get some sleep.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

alexis
04-01-06, 19:48
Hi Poppy, I have never had any after effects. Recently I was given a higher dose and no side effects either.
So glad you managed some sleep.
Sure Meg will be along soon to advise more.
xxxxxxx

love from Alexisxx

If I help one person today it was worth getting up.

rosalind
05-01-06, 11:34
I get very anxious after taking Diazepan or in fact any benzo drug. They do have that effect on some people, so I was told by my GP.
Since I stopped trying all the benzo drugs I am a lot less anxious!
Hope this helps.
Ros

Ma Larkin
05-01-06, 11:54
Hi Poppy, I take diazepam (2mg) when I get any anxious feelings. I can honestly say they have been my lifeline & I don't know what i'd do without them. I can't say they make me sleep any better, however, I do live in a noisy neighbourhood with constant interruptions through noise each night, but diazepam do chill me out and get rid of my anxiety. Since taking diazepam I haven't had any full blown panic attacks so they are definitely a plus for me. I too cannot tolerate coffee or chocolate, give me the jitters something chronic, even with diazepam. I hope you settle down soon and its good that you did manage to grab some sleep, Les, xx

Darren76
10-01-06, 21:27
i find diazepam a great help when i cant seem to calm myself down thru any other means - im now at the point where i know im having an attack and that it is just a panic attack but when my minds races on too much and i start gettin health anxiety (which is pretty much the cause of my PA's) then 2tabs of 2mg diazepam level me out ebough to sleep or chill or just stop freakin out

had 2 lots of 28 since nov and only have 8 left so am trying to get other ideas to help as the doc wont give me anymore for a while after these have gone

Fly
13-01-06, 21:31
I have been given Diazepam tablets to try. I relise that I forgot to ask some question maybe somebody can help.

Do they make you sleep, as I get most of my PA during the day & would hate to fall asleep at work?

The doctor say that I can take 1 when I feel a PA coming on, how long do they take to work?

Meg
13-01-06, 23:47
If they make you sleep you're taking too much and take about 15 mins to start working .

If you're in the throes of a panic, 1 tablet will not have such an effect as if you were just anxious so its a case of titrating the dose according to your state but use sparingly.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

darkangel
15-01-06, 20:45
Hi
I don't want to appear to be negative about diazapam because used short term they are really effective and help you get through the day.

Unfortunately I was prescribed diazapam for over 3 years, along with a concoction of other meds. It did take me a long time to reduce and eventually come off diazapam but I did get bad withdrawal symptoms.

Try not to get too dependent on them.

Take care
Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

berry-nice
17-01-06, 21:20
Hey, when i first started having panic attacks/anxiety my doctor put me on Diazepam short-term.
He started me on 4 x 2mg tablets a day for 3 weeks.
I felt as though they helped me relax etc. but my doctor took me off them real quick.. i was on 4 of these tablets one day and the next none..

I had quite bad withdrawel symptoms from these so when you come off them gradually decrease them.. i had to go back on them and come off them slowly.

Rach x

~*Rachel*~