PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawal syptoms - any reassurance ?

deb141
19-02-10, 12:07
Hi, i have been on effexor 150mg for just over a year. To be honest it has not been the best drug for anxiety that i have tried, hence why i have decided to come off it with the support of my doctor. I have reduced the dose to 75mg each day for the last week and its only the last couple of days i am experiencing weird symptoms. However as i have health anxiety as well as every other kind, i am struggling to accept these symptoms are just withdrawal.
I am experiencing severe head pressure, which feels like super high blood pressure (which i know i dont have).
I have dizzy spells most of the day (not continuous).
Heart palpitations.
Depersonalisation, just generally not with it.

I really want to get off these drugs, however i feel crap and panicky over what it happening to me. Can anyone else relate and offer some reassurance ?.

gypsywomen
19-02-10, 12:21
write in the searchbox effexor and you will find a thread on it love try to stay calm x

KK77
19-02-10, 15:31
I think you're coming off the drug too quickly Deb. Venlafaxine is a strong med - all these ADs are - and you need to taper a lot slower to avoid all the withdrawal effects you're getting.

Go back to your doctor and explain how you've been feeling and ask to taper more slowly.

I know you're eager to come off it as quickly as possible but you don't want to end up having a relapse. If you go slowly you will come off it ... but you just can't rush this.

deb141
19-02-10, 20:07
Thanks for your replies guys they have helped. I felt so great 2 days after dropping down to 75mg and them BAM ! i feel like my head is going to fall off and my heart is gonna pop out of chest. I think i am coming off them to fast, my doc thought i could be off them within 4 weeks, and i now know this is unrealistic. My doctor is on holiday for 2 weeks now but i have plenty of tablets to help taper off them better. I will try and see another doctor early next week for advice. Effexor is going to be hard to come off but i will do it !!

suzy-sue
19-02-10, 20:47
Hi Deb .What dose pills are you taking ?..perhaps you should increase slightly and come off slower,even biting a pill in half depending how strong they are ..Sue

deb141
20-02-10, 19:56
Sue, i am taking 2 x 75mg capsules a day so i am unable to bite them etc. Somewhere else i have read to remove a few little grains out the capsule, and hopefully if i take my time my body wont notice too much.
I have had a terrible day today, palps all day and bad dizzy spells, which the health anxiety tells me is a heart problem. Fingers crossed in couple of days i feel better.

suzy-sue
20-02-10, 20:25
Deb if I remember correctly you can get them in 25mg ammounts and 50mg Tablets .It might be worth asking for a different perscription so you can cut down by 25mg a time .In the meantime if you cut a capsule in half on a piece of paper ,you will find you get a pretty good half .That way you are only cutting down by a quarter of the ammount and not by half .The withdrawals wont be so bad .Its only the side effects causing the palps and not Heart probs ....:D.All the best T/c Sue x

KARMA007
21-03-10, 09:42
AFTER TRYING TO QUIT COLD TURKEY I REALISED THIS DRUG WAS TOO POWERFUL AND I NEVER FELT SO BAD IN MY LIFE. THEY MENTION BRAIN ZAPS BUT MY WHOLE BODY ZAPPED EVERY FEW MINUTES LIKE I WAS BEING ELECTROCUTED.

I tried again, one month later, this time I tapered off slowly. Doctor recommened 3 months, but I did it in 3 weeks. NOT VERY NICE SYMPTOMS STILL, OH MY GOD WITHDRAWING IS HELL!!

i am now 9 DAYS FREE back to work after 5 days at home. Still zaps that are scarey, but really not that bad anymore. I'm FAR FROM NORMAL, these drugs have ****ed my system up, but to anyone out there trying to quit, please know, you can get off them, and if you can have time off work like me, to stay still and do nothing, then you will feel the symptoms less. You feel the symptoms more because your nervous system is more sensitive, thats why, the less you do (eg walk) the less you will feel the symptoms.
for anyone trying to give up this junk, please dont give up and go back on them. My doctor recommended a 3 month plan to withdraw. But by week 3 I was on such a teeny weeny amount of the drug, I was advised by another doctor just TO STOP COMPLETELY. I was on 37.5mg, the lowest dose and i was dividing these into quarters when I was told to stop.
he gave me diazepam which helped me sleep and got me through the first 5 days. after that the zaps are more controlable and i'm able to work.
I'm taking COD LIVER OIL CAPSULES. look this up, it helps the brain and nervous system fuction better, considering the withdrawal is affecting your nervous system, taking the capsules will help. I'm not symptom free by any means, but I know for anyone considering getting off these drugs, its not impossible.
IF YOU ARE THINKING OF TAKING THIS DRUG THINK LONG AND HARD. its a ******* to come off. MORE LIKE HEROIN WITHDRAWAL. look it up on all the forums. Your body will shake, electric shock zaps in your body that will disable you. you cant walk let alone string a sentence along properly and you will cry over anything and everything.

i WANTED TO COME OFF BECAUSE THIS DRUG HAD MADE MY BODY CHANGE FROM A SLIM UK SIZE 6 TO A SWOLLEN FAT POT BELLIED DISGUSTING PIG. Ive always been a good eater, yet with the same amount going into my mouth, every month I was piling on the weight until my knees dissappeared into my big fat legs and my stomach rolls over the front and sides like I just had a baby yesterday.
My panic attacks led me to the emergency room at least every weekend but I would rather that than look down at this disgusting body that has swelled up because of the drug. If i wasnt depressed before, I certainly have something to be depressed about now.

I took 5 days off work and rested. did nothing but watch TV and this really helped - I am back at work now and whenver i feeel the shocks I just ignore them, i know it wont kill me - just like the panic attacks never did. Be strong and dont go back to the doctor if you feel weak, they gave you this poison in the first place, you think they will help you again?
I could kick myself for not researching Venlaxafine/Effexor in the first place.

deb141
16-04-10, 08:47
I stopped taking the effexor days ago (37.5mg x1 per day) after tapering off slowly for a while. I then started flouxetine the day after as advised by my GP. I feel awful, i have a rotten head cold, shivers, panic attacks, upset tummy, hot flushes.. to name but a few. I dont know whether these symptoms are from withdrawal or i am actually ill !. I am so sick of feeling anxious, it feels like my life is on hold, i am making excuses for everything and not going anywhere. I feel like i am never going to get better, :weep:

KARMA007
16-04-10, 09:53
Hang in there... I was sick for 2 weeks. Now I am drug free for over a month and I feel so good i stuck with it.
Pity I'm still a fat cow but glad not to be a slave to venlafaxine anymore.
Take time out, watch some films on your sofa, and get better, because you will make it!!!

deb141
17-04-10, 08:38
Thanks for your reply, in my mind i know its withdrawal but its horrible. My GP told me i have infected sinuses and has given me anti biotics which made me violently sick. I have to stick with it, and hope it will be better in a week or so.

Pudding
17-04-10, 13:33
Hi all, I am withdrawing at the moment from Dosulepin (prothiaden). I've been taking them for 15 years and feel very cheated as Karma007 does. I have been on a maintenance dose for about 10 years of 50mg and have cut by a quarter, I have to do this in 7 weekly cycles as I know from previous experience that trying to cut down more than this gives you terrible withdrawal effects. I have always caved in in the past and gone back to taking them but I'm determined to come off this time. I wish you loads of luck and keep going!!! We're all strong, brave people really.

Fran