PDA

View Full Version : mirtazipine and weight gain

JT69
20-02-10, 12:33
Hi does anyone know if the weight gain people experience with the mirtazipine is fluid retention or actual weight gain???? I have noticed a slight increase in appetite but mostly in the evenings and cannot really face food untill around 1.30pm, yet I seem to be putting on weight. I feel very bloated though and wondered if it was due to that. I did mention to GP yesterday and he said odema is a common side effect but that it should go, he didnt suggest I took anything. Was thinking of trying a herbal (waterfall) or something like that. Anyone have any suggestions??? JO.

ElizabethJane
20-02-10, 13:19
Dear Jo I would not think of combining anything herbal unless your doctor has given you the go ahead to use it. Try a natural diruetic such as cranberry juice. I think that the feelings that you describe may well be weight gain. I felt bloated and heavy when I first went onto mirtazapine. It is a bit demoralising as you begin to feel better and yet your body craves carbs and sweet things. I would continually to eat healthily low fat and sugar and review the situation after a few months. This side effect does not seem to be bothering me this time and I haven't put on any more weight.

JT69
20-02-10, 13:47
Thanks EJ, I just daren't get on the scales as I know I wont like what I see....I was afraid this would happen with this medication....had very little choice though with citalopram stopping being effective, I think I aslo gained a little whilst on that too but did not feel like this. I am excercising daily and trying to watch what I eat (but thats a bit hard as I am not back at work yet). I just hope I dont carry on gaining or I will start to feel depressed about that!! What dilema's we face in life for those of us having to take medication!!! JO

smudger
21-02-10, 20:03
jt69 Im in exactly the same sitiuation as you. I have gained 10 pounds in weight since before xmas and I'm finding it hard to shift it. Ive done loads of swimming lately and up until the weekend have been eating healthier. I have low self esteem issues anyway and if I hadn't been in such a state when the doc suggested mirt I would never on this planet have agreed to this drug for this very reason. The doc couldn't have suggested a worst drug to put me on. If she had bothered to read my notes she would have realised that, especially as I am seeing the CBT counsellor for low self esteem all weight related!Nightmare. I have just started my iron tablets and I am taking a mulit vitamin, omega 3 and I am halving my 15mg mirt dose to 7.5mg from tonight to try and wean off.It will be interesting to see how my weight changes!

JT69
22-02-10, 12:42
Good luck Smudger, hope all goes well for you. Let me know how it goes. Jo.

smudger
22-02-10, 13:59
Thanks jo.You take care.