PDA

View Full Version : Exercise - yes it does work

nomorepanic
04-01-06, 21:34
I am always posting on here and telling people to exercise more because it really helps but I must admit I have let myself go a bit recently[:O]

These last few days I have hardly slept, I feel tired and grumpy and finding it hard to motivate myself to do anything in the evenings except sit on here all night.

Well - I arranged to meet an acquaintance at the swimming pool tonight cos I haven't been since July and didn't want to let him down so had to drag myself there and it was really hard. All I wanted to do was go home and slob around but I promised I would go so off I went.

Well he didn't turn up - typical - but I did 20 lengths and then decided that was enough for one session as I am not as fit as I was 6 months ago:(

When I got home I couldn't believe the energy levels I had. I have run around all night and got so much done and I feel much better for it.

It really does work if you can manage to drag yourself there to do something even if it is just a little bit of exercise like I did.

I know that is hard and I really didn't want to go tonight but once I had done it I felt so much better.

So just wanted to motivate some of you hopefully to give it a go and see if it makes you feel better.:)

Nicola

EmmaJane
04-01-06, 22:03
Hi nicola,

Well done for going. i know what you mean, i have started going to the gym, 2-3 days a week. Havent been for about 4 weeks, and must start again. Its so easy to not bother though isn't? When Iwas going regularly, i didnt enjoy it, but after I felt good and that I had acheived something for myself.

So I agree: Exercise - yes it does work

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Trev
04-01-06, 22:07
Well done Nic for going. As you say, that's the hardest bit. Keep it up!

I can't agree with you enough about the exercise thing. I have just come back from (don't laugh!) Swiss Ball [:I] and then Yoga. (I'm the only bloke that goes to these blimmin classes and I feel like a right lemon at times!!!). Anyway, point is, I was just noticing that I was becoming edgy again in the last few days and I reckon it's a combo of overdoing it at Xmas / New Year and the break in my exercise. Having done some exercise again I feel the edginess has gone.

Stick with it mate.

Cheers,
Trev :D

henri
04-01-06, 22:27
wow, 20 lengths! i'm knackered just thinking about it.
i know that you are right nicola, i wish i could drag myself off the sofa and into the gym. well done for going xx

Tomimo
04-01-06, 22:40
I might try it to keep my mind off things.

Thanks for the advice

Annie x

nomorepanic
04-01-06, 23:05
Thanks for the replies..

Emma - you are better than me. Mine has been months. Try and get back to it soon.

Trev - what on earth is swiss ball[}:)][}:)] I dare to think. Do you wear a leotard as well???? I will try and go again tomorrow.

Henri - getting off the sofa is hard - as I said it took all my effort to go tonight but was worth it.

Tomimo - trust me it helps a lot. It is just the doing it that is hard

Nicola

Piglet
05-01-06, 09:12
No Nic he wears his 'ski trews'!!!

Trev you sound such a poppet to go to these classes - bet the women there love you. We admire men strong enough to deal with a class of women they are our favourite kind - good on ya!!!:D

Nic you know I absolutely agree with you hun about the exercise - I have felt my anxiety levels building well up during the past few weeks, obviously that it due to the increased stress of the festive period.

Most of all though it is due to completely abandoning my usual routine.

No exercise (my poor rebounder:()!!
Too much crap food
No proper chillin time with my Glenn Harrold cd's
No messing with my crystals
No squeezing of the feet (reflexology to you lot)

......and so I put my finger to my lips and wonder why am I all anxious. Err [Duh!]!!!!

I am off to get the rebounder out of the shed (we needed the space in the back room to put all our xmas snacks) lol!

Good post Nic :D

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Trev
05-01-06, 12:58
Nic, Swiss Ball is one of those big space hopper size balls (without the horns and silly smile of a space hopper!). You have to do all sorts of silly manoeuvres on it while using arm weights and things. Plus roll up and down the wall. It's great for all over body stuff and excellent for skiing.....that's my excuse! [:I]
Yes, leotards are compulsory. I have a particularly attractive leopard skin number that I wear and leg warmers are optional but it's rude not to isn't it? :D

Piglet, I don't know that they admire me. I get more of the feeling that they are looking at me as some sort of pre-op sex change candidate who is having to show that he can fit in as a woman!!! But in future I will adopt your way of looking at it. Probably better. :D
Can't believe you've consigned the Super Tramp to the shed!!!
Still, it had to make way for the "licking the salt off of Pringles" Xmas competition so I suppose it's justified.
Maybe you could cut a hatch in the roof of your shed so that the Super Tramp could stay there. Every time you need to use it, just open your hatch and bounce away. You'd get lots of fresh air as well. The neighbours may wonder what's going on so best you dress as Rhubarb (from Rhubarb and Custard) just so they don't get concerned about you!! :D[}:)]:D[}:)][:P]

I'm at it again tonight. Pilates then yoga. Best get my leopard skin leotard in the washer damn quick!!

Cheers,

Piglet
05-01-06, 13:33
Oh Trev that post had me spitting out banana allover the place.

What are you like :D:D:D:D

The thought of me jumping through the roof of my shed is the stuff of nightmares or 'Some mothers do ave em'!!! and as for you in a leopard skin leotard, oh god here comes some more undigested fodder allover the keyboard.[:I]

Just give over will ya:D:D:D:D

Piglet xx

pips
05-01-06, 17:26
Hi Nic,:D

Great post hun and well done for getting back exercising.[Yes!]

[Yes!] I agree it does really help. I try to do Aqua areobics every week. Hey Trev we would love you at the class you could find out whether your ball floats or sinks! Swiss ball that is![:O][:I] LOL in your lepoard skin number of course!;) Seroiusly though keep up the good work your doing great![Yeah!]

One thing I have done which I wouldn't advice is listening to FAME i'm going to live forever song whilst on the tread mill & trying to do a star jump at the same time! [Oops!] It doesn't work trust me! LOL [:O] You really don't fly either! More like end up in a heap on the floor! [Duh!] Perhaps that's where all those endorphins are hidden! LOL

I find a nice walk on a bright crisp day helps clear the cobwebs to.

Take Care,;)

Loadsa Love

PIP'S X X X X

Piglet
06-01-06, 09:11
Lol Pips :D:D:D

Loved the bit about fame - it does all of a sudden make you want to jump in the air (you need your trampolene out of the shed for that)!!!

Love Pig xx

clickaway
06-01-06, 17:05
Yeah, well done for everyone getting to exercise.

I must say that exercise scares me and it actually sets my shaking off, so my therapist suggests I don't do any until I am happy with it psychologically. It's a particular thing with me, but if you feel you can do it and feel happy with it fine. So I'll just keep to the walking thank you!

I bet the women here can't wait to see Trev in his leotard - wait until Nic and Alex get the picture page back up!

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Piglet
06-01-06, 17:56
Wow Trev you've really done it this time:D:D:D

Piglet xx

Nice one Ray[Yeah!]

Trev
06-01-06, 18:32
Pips, if I wore the leopard skin leotard you'd definitely find out if my ball floats.....it's a bit tight....but I think I'd be banned!! :D
Keep up the good work.

Piglet, I won't ask about you "spitting the banana"! We could be in danger of heading down the "Carry On" road again. [:I]:D:D

Ray, I can see you stirring from here mate! Do you need a bigger spoon?

Now, I'm away for a week so I expect you all to behave yourselves nicely.......otherwise it's the naughty step for all of you!!! :D:D

Cheers,

nomorepanic
06-01-06, 20:31
Trev

I thought it was one of them but I knew it as Flexiball. I tried it last June at the health farm and it nearly killed me[:O][:O]

It is so hard work and doing push-ups on it - ouch!! You are a braver man than me.

As for the leotard - I just can't go there[:O]

Pig - get that trampette back out and bounce away mate;)

Pips - I did aquatone as well until a few months back but I do love it. I must go back again soon.:)

Nicola

chop
02-02-06, 14:21
I ran 4.5 kms tonight and feel a little better but I do admit I have just started on my pills and some symptoms are worse but I know from weeks ago that it does help a lot especially if you do it failry intensly and often. It worked well for me in the past and lowered my anger etc too.

LisaS
03-02-06, 23:43
i also love it when i do it, i either do yoga on weds or swim on a tues. this week i have done neither and feel slightly anxious and very lazy!
its sooooooooooooo hard to get motivated esp when its so damn cold and dark outside.. any tips!?!?

lisa
xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

Piglet
04-02-06, 12:10
I've had a lazy week this week too - colds, feminine predicaments and all.

Come Monday though it's get back into it :D

Piglet xx

Trev
07-02-06, 12:02
Lisa, the only tip I can give you is that when you think "Oh, I can't be bothered" just try and remember what it's like when you've finished a workout and you get that good feeling. The hardest part is definitely getting going.
The other thing is to get into a routine of specific times. This is where I find classes helpful personally.

Piglet, you back into it then?

Cheers,

Dragon88
17-02-06, 17:56
i should really now get my act together and carry on with Gym and Kung Fu.[:I]

milly jones
28-05-08, 15:24
i love to walk till i feel the burning in the back of my calves.

when i walk fast my brain can think empty thoughts.

i do 4-8 miles each day and it helps me and the dogs keep fit.

it also makes u drink plenty of water as u go

also when i walk the dogs by the river there is a cafe and if im brave i sometimes stop for a piece of cake and a drink too

lots of objectives covered in one day

milly xx

Franz
28-05-08, 17:01
Couldn't agree more Nicola. I used to swim 4 or 5 nights a week but have really been letting myself go this year.

However, the last 2 nights I've forced myself to go swimming and I feel much better. I'd come out of the pool thinking, "How could I NOT have thought that was a good idea?"

As you say it IS difficult if you're depressed because beforehand your body's telling you that you need rest, not exercise. But I think it can result in a positive feedback loop: the more you exercise the more energy you have, and the more energy you have the more you want to exercise.

Cathy V
28-05-08, 22:50
Sorry guys, i'm a bit confused....wasnt this thread and any posts connected to it written 2 and a half years ago? :wacko: How far back do ppl read the old threads then?

Cathy xx :)

nomorepanic
28-05-08, 22:54
Cathy

The advice is still solid and I still swear by exercise for helping panic/anxiety so I guess it doesn't matter how old it is in this case.

SueBee
28-05-08, 23:04
As far back as they feel is necessary Cathy. There is a wealth of information to be gained from reading old posts, which I guess is the reason they are still here.

Persanally, I got through my divorce by going to the gym most nights. It was both a distraction and a confidence boost.

Cathy V
28-05-08, 23:05
Yes i guess most of them do still relate but sometimes it just looks odd to see posts from 2004 being revived hahaha! but reading the old posts from your origional exercise thread in '06 was intersting. It showed also how you all interacted with each other, as you all obviously knew each other very well, and had a good laugh together :D

I agree about the exercise tho, as i had my first swim in 2 years the other week and was convinced my heart would give up as soon as i got into the (v.cold) water, but i did it and felt great after...buzzing i think the kids call it! It must have something to do with using up all that adrenaline we anxies have bombing around inside i guess.

Cathy xx

halfnormal
17-06-08, 21:47
I agree exercise helps alot. However, you CANNOT! do what I tend to do which is exercise till you feel good and then stop till you feel bad. You need to keep exercising forever!!! Just think about it you'll be darn sexy and feeling better.

I heard it could take a few weeks for any positive symptoms to appear but keep persisting.

I try to run 3 miles every 2 or 3 days. Seems to be helping. But as a health anxety guy I need to remind myself that if my foot aches afterwords its not because I'm dying.