PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you honestly ever gotten past this HA?

SamanthaAU
21-02-10, 11:08
I seem to get hope that one day I will be rid of this damn anxiety, and then I see so many sad and scared souls on here and wonder if anyone has TRULY gotten past it?

It has been 18 months for me now, and whilst I did have a period where I wasn't as anxious, I am nearly back to square one again and not sure I will ever be rid of it.

And, if you have are there any tips that aren't often spoken about that worked?

Utility
21-02-10, 14:34
Hi

I could honestly say that 99% of the time I am anxiety free. Certainly much much better than I was about 2 years ago. I can't pin it down to one particular thing that helped but rather a mixture of things.

Such as:

Don't bring work home with you.
Exercise (swimming is the best all rounder)
Balanced diet.
CBT.
Don't drink too much alcohol.
Listening to what medical experts say and not what Dr Google says.
Yoga (I found this had really positive results)
Glass half full rather than half empty attitude.
Talking to others about it (it's amazing how many people can relate to anxiety once you break the ice on the subject).

Oh! Did I mention don't bring work home with you?

Typer
21-02-10, 18:44
Utility, such great advise. I was also thinking about starting Yoga or something like for example maybe Tai Chi.

Stressed32
21-02-10, 23:38
I have gotten past it like Utility with about 99.8% certainty. I still come here for friends that I have made along the way but I can honestly tell you that I know with 100% that I do not have HIV like I once thought I did. I know my test was right and I know I am ok. I also know that if there is some mistake by chance....I do not care and do not want to know. Ignorance is bliss and I am happy just the way I am. I say this because I can now think logically and know that they don't make mistakes with HIV tests.
I no longer feel my lymph nodes or look at my throat with a light. It can happen. It was a slow road...that all began with me finding something healthy to obsess over....a new college degree. Good luck.

looking4answers
22-02-10, 04:57
I have gotten past it for years at a time but it seems to always come back.. sometimes not so bad other times really worse..I fear its a life long thing but others swear they have completely eliminated it. Wish I could say yes but its yet to be determined.. Michael

SamanthaAU
22-02-10, 10:24
Thank you so much for your replies - good and bad.

Utiliity I had a chuckle with the not bringing work home. I am a stay at home mum and live with my work so that is out for me lol.

LeighD
22-02-10, 11:46
Do you know what really helped me - and reduced my HA dramatically? Giving up caffeine. About a year ago I switched to decaf coffee. I know, we Aussies love our espresso coffees. But trust me, my anxiety levels have plummeted since I switched.

mikhail1028
22-02-10, 20:16
Spmeday i can hopefully shake the fear out of me

barbn
22-02-10, 20:36
I too am anxiety free about 75% of the time (working on making that more like 99% of the time). I think I am always going to have a little bit of it...I am SO surprised at how much diet affects my anxiety.....I have been keeping a journal and about fell over when I realized how much "junk" I am eating (including tones of caffine)...so this is one of my first steps...getting a more balanced diet into my system. I also want to add some exercise...

BigDunk34
24-02-10, 10:50
up until about 6 months a go, i got rid of HA. but last year i had a vasectomy, and there has been some strange things happening to my 'meat and two veg' since! ive had lumps, bumps and gristle, all of which (naturally! haha!) i thought was testicular cancer, ive had them checked but still not convinced.
This is what i think about defeating HA: If someone is in debt, they can get out of debt, by spending less. If someone is overweight they can eat less, and do exercise, but if someone is worried about health they will never shake it off unless they change their mind set, because you can never be in a situation where you will never get sick, because it happens to everyone, so the key is "attitude". when i was a kid and i watched a scary film, i used to hate going upstairs alone, but the next night when i hadnt watched a film i was fine..... well, i was walking up the same stairs.........so the difference was in my mind. one thing i have found that helps is to make fun of myself, for example, i sent a fax to my doctors asking him to refer me for an ultra sound (after he's checked me out twice already). i told my girlfriend what i'd done and we both burst out laughing, she said i was "mental", and i kind of thought..... yes hahaha! i am! But the good thing was….. i didnt think.....i have cancer, I just thought….im mental! Hahahaha! progress was made! On a serious note, I believe we only get one life, and im not wasting it thinking about death! I will defeat this!

EmmaJane
24-02-10, 11:53
Thank you so much for your replies - good and bad.

Utiliity I had a chuckle with the not bringing work home. I am a stay at home mum and live with my work so that is out for me lol.

lol, me to Sam. x I work with computers and they are all over the place. Especially with the kids aswell.

Yoga, I dont think i'd be that flexible!!

x