PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed here please!

SARAH365
21-02-10, 11:58
My doctor has diagnosed ptsd and given me propanalol 10mg x 3 a day. They've slowed down my palpitations but I still feel very nervous and anxious. In fact two days ago my stomach butterflies were more like giant birds. I only ate a banana and forced that down too. I have a feeling of absolute dread sometimes. Then that might go away for a few hours - blessed relief - but back comes the stomach churning and dread again. I've been on these tablets for a month now but I honestly don't feel they are doing anything for me. I sometimes take diazepam 5mg and the fear goes away. It makes me feel calm again. But these are only supposed to be taken to help muscular spasms to do with arthritis and I don't have many. I know my gp woudn't give me them for anxiety so afraid to use them up. Does anyone else react like me to ptsd? People who I thought were my friends don't really get in touch much now. They've never experienced anxiety so because I look ok they probably feel I'm making a big fuss over nothing. Just feeling sorry for myself. Even people from my church have said to be more positive and stop dwelling on bad experiences with illnesses because those days are over with now. If only it was that easy. Do you think I should go back to my gp? He's adament I will get over all this if I give it time. I'm sitting here taking deep breaths to try and curb what looks like yet another day of stomach churning and fear.

Jaco45er
21-02-10, 12:17
Hi Sarah

I take propanalol to take the edge off anxiety as and when needed, but it will only lesson the physical symptoms and not the thoughts.

I don't suffer from PTSD, but I did have a course once of a therapy called EMDR (Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing) on the NHS.

Although it was a mis-diagnosed therapy for me, EMDR was designed specifically for PTSD sufferers (I think it's development was to do with Vietnam war vets).

I have heard it has a big success rate and is as popular as CBT is for anxiety.

Might be worth a mention to your GP.

GL

Jaco

Jannie2948
21-02-10, 12:31
Hi Sarah, I was given Propranolol for high blood pressure, although I new it was anxiety. I took them for a couple of months and they really did nothing for my anxiety, in fact I felt really ill on them. I then saw a different dr in my practice and he totally got how I was feeling. He diagnosed me with anxiety and panic attacks and put me on Citalopram 20mg and have gradually felt better, been on them just over 3 months. The dr just increased my dosage to 40mg last Friday so hopefully the odd bad days I have will cease!! I'm also going to start CBT to rid my head of these negative thoughts hopefully :-) Hope you get past this horrible feeling, I know it is difficult and it is hard for friends to understand but if you have just one someone who gets how you are feeling talk to them. There is always someone here to help you so just keep posting and hope you soon start feeling better.

Jannie x x

pheetuz
21-02-10, 20:11
Hi Sarah, I was told that i had PTSD back in september and put onto a course of citalopram, which did very little for me at all, it did stop the panic attacks but it meant that my stomach would churn all day everyday and that i would have a feeling of emmense dread for sometimes hours at a time.

I can honestly say that dealing with PTSD has been the worse experience of my life, but, an experience that i am now getting over, this is 6months down the line from diagnoses. I think the length of time that i have been suffering was increased by my almost negative approach to the whole situation, in that, the whole time that i have been suffering i kept feeling like no one else in the world could be feeling this bad, theres something wrong with me, this isnt PTSD that im suffering from but i can now assure you that it is and that it WILL pass, it really does just take time - i hated my doctor for telling me to "give it time".

I think its worth going to see your GP to try and get on the waiting list for some therapy, whether it be EMDR or CBT, both are effective at dealing with anxiety and stopping the cycle of panic.

I found that the best way for me to deal with PTSD was just to keep myself distracted the whole time, which i know is easier said than done when you feel the way you do but it really helped.

Also, "Self help for your nerves" by "Claire Weekes" is a very helpful book based around recovery from anxiety and i would deffinately reccomend it.

Really hope you start to feel better soon, these feelings will pass and life will go back to normal, it does just take time :)

SARAH365
22-02-10, 16:29
Thank you, have started a course of citalopram today and feel really sleepy so going to stick it out as I feel so unable to cope with anymore feelings of great fear. Thank you for writing to me tho. Really appreciated x

annette1
27-02-10, 12:17
Hi Sarah
I was diagnosed with ptsd in Nov 08 & well understand the anxiety, panic & total confusion that goes with it, its a very frightening place isn't it. I've been on Citalopram for 11mths, 6 on 20mg then increased to 40mg & have found it very beneficial, but they do need to be used in conjunction with some therapy for you to acknowledge the underlying cause of your ptsd. Of course meds do have side effects but they are little to pay to be able to function at a more normal level. I'm back at work full time & doing well.

Meds have been combined with weekly therapy from a psychologist, we have used EMDR, talking & exposure therapies. EMDR is very challenging, it needs to used in conjunction with other therapy & should not be a set time course as CBT is, it isn't suitable for everyone but a therapist will need to assess you before agreeing to treat you with it. She has also encouraged me to take up as many relaxation techniques as I have time for, deep breathing, visualisation, focusing, meditation, weekly visit to a spa - which resulted in me buying a hot tub which I use daily & I've just started reflexology & yoga. Its hard work but the more I understand how my brain has made links between my traumas the more recovery I have made.

You mention that some friends have stopped contacting you, I'm afraid to say that does happen its a combination of us cutting ourselves off & people just not understanding or being embarrassed by the change in us. Some people even family find it very hard to think beyond us just wanting sympathy & I've got to the stage now that people just have to accept who I am at the moment & those that can't must keep their unhelpful comments to themselves, for instance my sister thinks I'm doing it for sympathy & attention so I'm keeping her at arms length for the time being. She can walk in my shoes any day she likes!
Sorry that was me on my 'fight for those with ptsd box, I'll get off now!'

Recovery from PTSD is very slow, when you do have an hour feeling less anxious enjoy it, & gradually you will find that hour becoming two & then a day without anxiety will go by & take you by surprise. Try to stay strong & take as much professional help & support from friends & family as you can.

I hope that isn't too much information & that you find some peace soon.
I am also a member of a PTSD specific forum, I'll PM you with details.
Annette :bighug1:

Antipodes
23-03-10, 01:38
Hi,
First let me say you are fortunate you saw a GP that recognised the PTSD. Mine was missed by two GP's and it was an action I took in knowing something was wrong and saw a psychologist privately that the word "PTSD" reared its head. My experience was not unlike yours and I am sorry you have joined the silent millions of us.

PTSD is unpleasant. For some it can be relatively short duration; but for others it can tak a long time to become settled.

Medications can only work on the symptom and there is no perfect med that suits all (sigh) because we are all different. I urge you to minimise or avoid use the Benzos e.g. Diazepam et al as they can be dependency forming. Buspirone has a similar effect without the dependency issues (although some might disagree).

For what it is worth, given that I were at "Day 1" (post-diagnosis) it is important to understand the disorder and the symptoms - how the symptoms adversely affect you.

There is no rapid turnaround but I totally support the endorsement of CBT - it ought to be taught in school to all! EMDR can be moderately beneficial through to profoundly beneficial - we're all different.

My tunraround came when I tried Vipassana Meditation. It was a 10 day F/T residential course (paid by voluntary donation). I went in there and they took my Anti-anxiety meds away!! - I was such a distressed and anxious person. When I left I felt no different but the distress had left me and so too had the anxiety. For me it was amazing. Initially I might get anxious about [a thing] but I had mastered the mental "trick" of seeing the anxiety and kind of closed my mind and let it pass though and over me.

I wish I could comment about other people and the "Just get over it" kind of thing. That's people and their lack of empathy and lack of interest in trying to understand. It happens to us all and it seems to be universal. It's their problem not yours.

I wish you well in your journey towards wellness. It will happen but it takes time.

(http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=621065)

SARAH365
01-11-10, 11:08
Thank you. I'm much much better now thanks to Citalopram in the main but it took a long time. I came off 10mg of Citalopram cold turkey 2 weeks ago as I felt so well but have been having electric shock type jumps in the brain and go very light headed so am off to doctors today as people say it's a side effect of stopping citalopram too quickly. Silly me x

Nigel H
12-11-10, 19:35
Hi Sarah -

I had PTSD, following an accident and I have had it dealt with.

I suggest you find a Master Practitioner of Time Line Therapy(R) and they will assist you in dealing with it swiftly and comfortably.

I am trained in it too .... the organisation that trained me run a course called the Warrior Program [I believe it's linked to one of Prince Charles' charities] and they assist ex-service men and women with PTSD very effectively also.

Check out Tad James [the guy who formalised this particular methodology] site www.timelinetherapy.net

Any questions, just ask!

Nig

JoanneRB
28-01-11, 13:40
I would echo all these posts. Definitely seek out therapies to use either inconjunction or instead of medication. Medication manages the bodies chemical reactions but a good therapist will work with the body, brain and mind to allow healing to take part. My husband had excellent results with EMDR and I use a timeline with my clients for hypnotherapy, so check out those and the therapy that Nig has recommended. Talk to the therapist before making an appointment to make sure you feel it is the right fit. As for you friends, once you are fixed you will feel better than you have did and no doubt attract a higher quality of friends in your life!! Good luck

Joanne
x

Rosey
30-01-11, 16:37
Hi can someone tell me how to download Claire Weekes tapes Please?
Rosey

ladybird64
30-01-11, 17:52
Hello Rosey and :welcome:

I'm fairly sure that it isn't possible to download Claire Weekes stuff nowadays, we did have a link here on the forum ages ago but if memory serves me right downloads were stopped by the CW site.

I'm not sure if it will be of any use to you but I know there are Claire Weekes books available from the NMP bookshop here..I bought a couple myself some time ago and they weren't expensive!

Hope this helps :)

PS. Of course it would help if I included the link! http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=72