PDA

View Full Version : Wish they would go away

madgilmore
22-02-10, 00:07
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and wanted a bit of advice. (sorry if its a bit long too)

My father passed away in June 2009 and we were very close. He had been suffering from heart and kidney problems since 2002 and his body finally gave up and he suffered a major stroke and passed away. I took 4-5 weeks off work due to berevement and returned to work in August. I was feeling fine at the time but a few weeks after returning I was in work and suddenly had terrible palpetations, chest pains, felt dizzy and faint and had a tingling sensation in my fingers as well.

At the time I thought I was having a heart attack as you can imagine so my brother rushed me to my doctors surgery and saw a doctor who said I was drinking too much caffine and this is why I had those symptoms.

However since that day my symptoms continued over the next few days even though I had cut down my caffine intake. I had a few further days off work and went to the doctors again who said that I was suffering from stress but not to take any more time off work and prescribed me with Beta Blockers. I returned to work as normal but 2 days after taking the tablets I collapsed in my local town centre due to an adverse reaction to the Beta Blockers. I was rushed to hospital and they advised me not to take the Beta Blockers any longer and suggested I return to my GP surgery.

The following week my symptoms had gotten worse, so much so that I spent most of my days in bed not being able to even get up. As soon as I got out of bed I had the light headedness and dizzy spells.

I finally went back to the doctors to see my own GP who finally diagnosed my problems as Panic Attacks/Anxiety due to the passing of my father. She gave me a prescription of 10mg of Paroxatine to take once daily which has since increased to 20mg. She also did blood tests to rule out other problems for which the blood tests came back as normal.

It took me a while to get back to normal. I was too scared to leave my house as every time I was in a crowded area (going to the shop/getting on a bus/getting on a train) my panic/anxiety started up again.

I was off work for 3 months and returned to work in December. Because of the tablets I went 6 weeks with no panic or anxiety problems at all. Unfortunately this was short lived as my symptoms started back up in January 2010 but only for a few days. Another visit to the doctors and the GP had referred me to CBT sessions and suggested that no futher medication would be advisable as I was on the highest possible dose for my symptoms. The CBT seemed to be helping at the time but last Wednesday (17th February) my symptoms had gotten worse again and I have not returned to work since. My head is spinning as I am typing this too.

I am not sure what to do as I have already had loads of time off work and the doctor can't help me with anything else. This condition is making me low to the point that I don't care any more about work anymore. All I want to do is lay down and sleep all the time even when I have just woken up in the morning.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated and thanks for listening.

Darren.

fretty freda
22-02-10, 00:27
this my seem very new and different to you but its nothing ive never felt a 100 times before , its all normal and you will recover in your own good time try to do things you enjoy and dont feel guilty about sleeping a lot just dont let the sleeping alot go on for more than a couple of weeks , it seems your depressed which is normal after the death in your family someone very close to you too it has hit you hard you will get better trust me .

mandie
22-02-10, 00:35
Hi Darren

Welcome to the site

Sorry to hear about your father passing away, i think its quite normal to feel like this after a close family member passes away.

Did you suffer with anxiety before your dad passed away?

Have you come off your meds or are you still on them?

i cant give you much advice, as i have been off work a long time due to my anxiety and panic and lately its started up bad again, where i have trouble going into supermarkets because it makes me panic so bad.

i had cbt last year but it finished after about 6 sessions. im on the waiting list for more as i did find it helped but i have to wait until may to see someone

love mandie x

madgilmore
22-02-10, 00:44
Hi both and thanks for reading and your advice.

Yes I am still on my medication and my doctor thinks I will be on them for quite some time. I haven't suffered from anxiety before this time but was off with depression in 2004 due to work stress and a breakup of a long term relationship.

Thanks

Darren

fretty freda
22-02-10, 00:51
dont feel guilty about being off work either we all understand how you must be feeling , be strong x

andrea thompson
22-02-10, 01:24
hiya darren
sorry you are feeling so poorly at the moment... and sorry for the loss of you dad... i was ill ill years ago with panic, anxiety and depression. like you i thought i was seriously ill and went to a and e then my dr... i was told i was depressed and had a couple of weks off work.. i returned to work only to be ill again... in the end i was off work for 15 months... i gradually got better and did lead a perfectly normal life... i have since had a little boy, been to college and got myself a decent job that i enjoy (most of the time). i got pregnant last year, was a bit of a shock but was really pleased.. then had a miscarraige... my crazy hormones have now trigered another bout of depession... so i was off work for weeks went back.. and couple weeks later went down hill and had another 3 weeks off... been back at work until last week when i got what seems to be a bad cold and guess what i have been knocked off my feet.. tired, ratty, fluey, low, scared, broken sleep. i was due to return to work tomorrow and i just cant go... feel like i cant cope and need to rest to get over this... worried about money cos now on half pay.. feel guilty about not going in.... i am going to the dr tomorrow to discuss... i just want to get back to normal... i used to do sooo much now i cant even cope with the basics.... one good thing i can say is that although it can take time you can beat this .... i got over it before and thats what i hope to do again...

dont feel bad about work... you are ill and need time to recover... ( thats what i am telling myself).

take care

andrea x x

madgilmore
22-02-10, 20:36
Another bad day today.

Had terrible fatigue and spinning head and slept most of the day. Went on since I woke up at 8am. I might be depressed as I just wanted to curl up and sleep all day, I also had a CBT appointment too today and had to cancel that too. I did not want to face the world today. I am not too bad now writing this and hope tomorrow is a good day.

Had to call in sick too. I hate doing that as I am not sure if they beleive me half the time but I am going to my doctors on Wednesday.

Thanks for all your reply's yesterday too, they were a great help. It makes me feel a bit more normal to know that i'm not the only one with these symptoms.

Thanks again,

Darren xx

mandie
24-02-10, 00:22
Hi Darren

How u feeling now? let us no how u get on at dr's later

mandie x

madgilmore
24-02-10, 00:31
Hi Mandie,

Not having a good day today. Getting the dizziness today but the fatigue only lasted a few hours this morning and seemed to have developed a terrible pain in my upper left of my back. Hopefully this is just a pulled muscle or something (posted more about this on the Introduce Yourself Forum). When I get back from the docs I will post what she said.

Thanks,

Darren

madgilmore
25-02-10, 00:10
Hi everyone,

Went to the doctors today. The pain in my back seems to be a pulled muscle so the doctor has given me pain killers which seem to have eased the symptoms. I also asked about the fatigue symptoms and the dizziness and she checked me over and it was only a viral infection.

Seems like I was panicing over nothing. Due to go back to work on Monday.

Thanks all for your support though.

Darren xx